R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S LE, 2010 GT3, 1966 GT 289
Clubs

Figured I'd share my build as time goes on. I am going to probably make a lot of mistakes and break things so it's at least worth sharing my learnings. My goal is to just get out, go drive around and explore new areas, it's as simple as that.

I have 2023 R1S with a Launch Green exterior with Forest Green interior.

I didn't take many photos of it stock, but to be fair it didn't stay stock for long.
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1202

The first week of ownership I bought some Thuren Deco HD Wheels and I paired them with some Milestar Patagonia MT-02s (not my first choice, but I got a really good deal that I couldn't pass up). Thuren says you can upsize to a 295, but for now I stuck with the OEM 20" size. I didn't want to roll the dice on any potential rubbing. These wheels do sit a bit more inboard due to the offset and the caliper clearance is tight, but a non issue. The valve stem is recessed, which is great because it offers protection from any rocks when off-roading. These wheels are really great where form meets function. I also had a bit of a situation when getting these mounted and balanced at Americas Tire where they refused to do the mounting and balancing because they were worried the tape weights would hit the caliper. I called up the Thuren support number and they picked up instantly and I explained the situation and had them speak with folks at AT. AT obliged and it mounted fine with no rubbing or clearance issues. Again I highly recommend Thuren if you are in the market for some 20" wheels.

Wheel specs
20x8 +50mm offset
43.5lbs

Tire specs
275/65/20

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1222

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1281

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1282

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1287

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1334 2

---------------
Kyle
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow! Those are some pretty serious wheels and tires. Are you a big off-roader or is this an aesthetic choice. Either way it looks good.

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Next up was a refrigerator and I've spent a good amount of time researching.

A couple of requirements, it had to
  • Fit in the trunk
  • Less than 60L (anything bigger would be excessive)
  • Dual zone preferable
  • Hook up to my Ecoflow River 2 Pro
  • Prefer opening on the long side
I was pretty set on a Dometic for a while even though it wouldn't have been dual zone, but eventually snagged the Ecoflow Glacier for $700 from their Prime Day Sale. It fit the bill spec-wise and it has a 298Wh onboard battery. So when pair with the River 2 Pro it can power the Glacier for about 4 days depending on the temp outside. I'll turn the outlets on every now and then when I charge to charge up the River 2 Pro. An extra pro with the Glacier is that I can hook it up to solar should I ever go down that route.
It does have an ice maker and I have used it, but I am not sure I'll use it that often. Nice to have nevertheless

Ecoflow Glacier Dimensions
30.6 × 15.2 × 17.5 in

I've learned my lesson in the past, measure twice cut once lol
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1258

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1259

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1251

I use rollercam straps to tie down my fridge (yes I have 4 tie downs). The only unknown was if the lid would be able to open fully, I am happy to report that it does. Since it isn't terribly wide I still have space on the left for small things. The only minor inconvenience is the access to the spare tire storage where I have my recovery gear, backup air compressor, hoses and first aid kit.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1342

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1343

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1344

I also realized there's a notch here on the side of the seat that's the perfect size for the trunk floor board to slide into so you don't have to put it on the ground. Not sure if it's a thing, but it works nicely.
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1337
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1336

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just last weekend I took it to Hollister Hills for a bit of a shakedown with some friends. My GPS with OnX was jumping all over so we got a bit lost and ended up tackling a couple of black diamonds (we were planning to take it easy that day). Eventually found the obstacle parks for some fun. Ended up leaving with some scratches, but nothing I can't get out with a pass with the orbital.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1382

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1395

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1414

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1415

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1437

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1462

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1449

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wow! Those are some pretty serious wheels and tires. Are you a big off-roader or is this an aesthetic choice. Either way it looks good.
Thanks! This is my first off-road build, but spent a lot of time using friends rigs prior.

Sponsored

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Amazing work you've done on your rig....love it! Thanks for the write up as well. You've got really good ideas. I need to start putting my R1S build thread together...s00n! Keep living adventurous!!!

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

love the wheels! following.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just last weekend I took it to Hollister Hills for a bit of a shakedown with some friends. My GPS with OnX was jumping all over so we got a bit lost and ended up tackling a couple of black diamonds (we were planning to take it easy that day). Eventually found the obstacle parks for some fun. Ended up leaving with some scratches, but nothing I can't get out with a pass with the orbital.

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg
Well that answers Standfield's question! Lol! Looks very cool.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Lol, just noticed the GT3! Must be an interesting experience tracking that and off roading the R. Enjoy in good health!

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Genesis
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

Looks sweet!! No spare? I'm thinking about a hitch-mounted swing arm carrier for a full-size spare.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

(don't shoot the messenger)

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread 1691776435800

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The tires are by Nangkang, a Taiwanese company, with plants in Taiwan and China. Imported and marketed under the Milestar brand by Tireco, an importer/distributor based in Gardena, CA.

(Wiki)
History
Nankang Rubber Tire Corporation Ltd is the largest established tire manufacturer in Taiwan, having been started in 1940 by a group of engineers. Based originally upon the principles of Japanese manufacturing technologies, the company has grown substantially. Its two Taiwanese plants (Nankang and Hsinfung) continue to manufacture the bulk of Nankang's product. September 2003 marked the commencement of production at Nankang's Jiangsu facility in China. This expansion ensures economies of scale for the future development of Nankang's product range.

Product quality
The corporation has Ford Motor Company's Q1 Certification and in 1994 obtained ISO-9001 certification.

It manufactures tires for brands such as Geostar, Milestar, and Provato.
(drivingpress.com)
Nankang has two main tire manufacturing plants in Taiwan. The company expanded their tire manufacturing in a new production plant in Jiangsu China back in 2003. Nankang tires are exported to over 100 markets worldwide.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs