Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

How fun! Looks great! R1S doing it well!
Sponsored

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S LE, 2010 GT3, 1966 GT 289
Clubs

Thanks all, I appreciate the nice comments!

These off-roading pics are awesome! But man, I wouldn’t know where to start detailing it after such a trip.
The dirt seems endless, but will keep me busy for a few weekends cleaning up. Then again it'll just get dirty again

Amazing work you've done on your rig....love it! Thanks for the write up as well. You've got really good ideas. I need to start putting my R1S build thread together...s00n! Keep living adventurous!!!
Thanks! Yeah you really should make a thread, I've been telling myself I'd do it for a few weeks now. I'll keep an eye out for your build thread!

Lol, just noticed the GT3! Must be an interesting experience tracking that and off roading the R. Enjoy in good health!
Thanks, definitely complete opposites, but very fun in their own disciplines. I used to track the GT3 more often, but that's slowed down as time has gone on. Much cheaper going off-roading haha

Looks sweet!! No spare? I'm thinking about a hitch-mounted swing arm carrier for a full-size spare.
No spare for now and same I am thinking about a hitch swing arm too. I need to do more research though. Do you have any recommendations?

(don't shoot the messenger)
Haha yeah I made sure to "RTFM", it was no more than 18" at 10mph so it was a risk I was willing to take. Thanks for looking out! (That sounds sarcastic, but it's not lol)

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Thanks! Hey I ordered a set of your pucks, they worked perfectly!
Thank you for the kind words and being a customer! I do like the R1S with the off-road edge.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I really like the Thuren wheels. Seen them in person on another R1S locally. I’ve been surprised how much weight they require to balance.

Sponsored

garrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, 86' LandCruiser, '23 Bronco
Occupation
Builder
Looking great! Any plans to add a full sized spare?

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I really like the Thuren wheels. Seen them in person on another R1S locally. I’ve been surprised how much weight they require to balance.
They definitely do take quite a bit of tape weights

Looking great! Any plans to add a full sized spare?
Thanks! Yeah, I'd definitely would like to. Not sure yet on where it'd go, most likely candidate is on a hitch mounted swing arm.

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

So I've been having TPMS issues. I ended up purchased the OEM/Factory Rivian Sensors from EVSportline since they are "plug and play" with no programming required. Without really knowing what to look for I just took their word and had them installed. I got an error the first night and figured maybe I haven't driven enough. The next day I drove it to work to put more miles on and even did a reset to see if that would resolve the issue, still no luck.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1328

I started emailing EVSportline support, they asked me what color the valve stem was and I said it was black and they confirmed these were correct and were direct from Rivian. My 22" Sport Brights have silver stems so I was still skeptical.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1340

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1338

I was then told 3 times over the span of 2 weeks of emailing back and forth to drive more and to reset my car. If that didn't work I had to schedule an appointment with the Rivian Service Center to fix this issue. I was waiting for them to offer to send replacements, but I had to ask and when I did they flat out didn't even acknowledge my request lol. I thought that was bit ridiculous that I had to basically deal with it myself, I bought OEM TPMS that were supposed to automatically connect from the get go. I also couldn't book a SC appointment because they were booked out completely. I eventually called they were way more helpful and said they would send me new sensors and help straighten this out after explaining my experience with the email support.

I got the replacement TPMS and of course they are silver stems and have Rivian logo stamping on them. So they did send me the wrong TPMS sensors despite telling me they were the correct ones.

OEM silver stem TPMS
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1500

Wrong black stem TPMS
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1517

I got them swapped and within 5 mins the TPMS error cleared and were reading the PSI at each wheel.

I waited for a resolution to type this whole thing up because I didn't want to drag this thread down with updates.
Eventhough my initial experience was bit frustrating with EVSportline they ultimately righted the ship and the phone support was really helpful. I just want to share my genuine experience and I really wanted to share this incase any others need to order TPMS they at least know what to look for before installing.
I now need to chase up EV Sportline once again to get reimbursed for the $100 to get the TPMS swapped out.

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I also added the S00nish Premium Phone Charger. It took a bit of time to just get it all lined up right, but in the end it looks great! I went with the raw walnut color since in my opinion it seemed to go best with the FE interior.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1352 2
Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1351

The only issue I have noticed is when the charging pad area gets too hot from sitting out in the sun it won't charge. I tested this by putting a towel over it on a hot day with the car in sunlight and the charger worked! So maybe it's time I consider nano ceramic tint for the windows.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

(don't shoot the messenger)

1691776435800.png
Woah. thanks for reminding us. I had some water over my hood this weekend, hopefully it won't be reminding me of itself for a while. My flappy panels in the middle-sides of my underbody came loose, other than that this thing loved moving fast in the water.
OP, great thread, truck looks awesome, thanks for sharing details!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

. I had some water over my hood this weekend, hopefully it won't be reminding me of itself for a while.
Reason being is the cabin air intake is at the bottom of the windshield. It's relatively protected from water ingress but if you flood that area, there's a good chance it's going to end up coming into the cabin.

Arnie1

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander XSE, 2022 Toyota Avalon XSE
Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Figured I'd share my build as time goes on. I am going to probably make a lot of mistakes and break things so it's at least worth sharing my learnings. My goal is to just get out, go drive around and explore new areas, it's as simple as that.

I have 2023 R1S with a Launch Green exterior with Forest Green interior.

I didn't take many photos of it stock, but to be fair it didn't stay stock for long.
IMG_1202.jpeg

The first week of ownership I bought some Thuren Deco HD Wheels and I paired them with some Milestar Patagonia MT-02s (not my first choice, but I got a really good deal that I couldn't pass up). Thuren says you can upsize to a 295, but for now I stuck with the OEM 20" size. I didn't want to roll the dice on any potential rubbing. These wheels do sit a bit more inboard due to the offset and the caliper clearance is tight, but a non issue. The valve stem is recessed, which is great because it offers protection from any rocks when off-roading. These wheels are really great where form meets function. I also had a bit of a situation when getting these mounted and balanced at Americas Tire where they refused to do the mounting and balancing because they were worried the tape weights would hit the caliper. I called up the Thuren support number and they picked up instantly and I explained the situation and had them speak with folks at AT. AT obliged and it mounted fine with no rubbing or clearance issues. Again I highly recommend Thuren if you are in the market for some 20" wheels.

Wheel specs
20x8 +50mm offset
43.5lbs

Tire specs
275/65/20

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1334 2.jpeg

---------------
Kyle
In the old days when you changed wheels/tires from factory set you had to change the little transmission speedo drive gear accordingly or your speed and odo reading would be out considerably...dont know how this works with the comuter on wheels???

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

In the old days when you changed wheels/tires from factory set you had to change the little transmission speedo drive gear accordingly or your speed and odo reading would be out considerably...dont know how this works with the comuter on wheels???
This is true, but also depends how drastic the tire changes are. Since I switched from a 275/50/22 to a 275/65/20 the speedo difference won't vary too much. Though I should get a set of OEM 20" ATs and get the service center to recalibrate the car for the 20" wheels as I am sure it accounts for other changes beyond just the speedo.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread Screenshot 2023-08-14 12.19.22

OP
OP
R1SKY

R1SKY

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It's been a while since my last update.

Ended up in the South Lake Tahoe are and got a chance to do some exploring and try out the Sacramento RAN stations for the first time.
I've added the Overland Ruff Rax Roof Rack, super excited with this now that I get some extra space up top for storage. I no longer have to have recovery gear stored in the car.
I've also added the 23Zero Peregrine Full size 180 Awning. I thought about a 270, a few of my friends have 270s, but I didn't think it'd work considering the liftgate comes up pretty high and would cause some clearance issues and I was not willing to run taller awning mounts to clear it as I'd like to keep the vertical clearance down if I can.
Another addition is the DCE Rock Sliders I am happy with them and others that frequent getting in the car also appreciate the side step and they provide some peace of mind on the trails. The one minor gripe I have with them is they cover the rear jack point and I know you can lift from the slider rail itself, but if you ever need to take the car into Rivian for some sort of Servicing they will not lift the car unless they are off. So I had to re install them again when I go it back from the SC. Not the end of the world, I am pretty quick getting them on and off now with the impact.

I also got the rack lights, which will be next project. I've picked up a SwitchPro 9100 so I need to figure out how I am going to route my wires.

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1591

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_1597

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_3287

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_3283

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_3289

Rivian R1T R1S R1SKY Launch Green R1S Build Thread IMG_3284