Sponsored

Safety Issue - R1S needs warning when liftgate is open

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Hi,

Just a suggestion, R1S needs a warning at least when you first put it in drive that your liftgate is open. Today my wife started driving without realizing her liftgate is open. Not sure why their is no audible warning. I get sometimes you need to drive with the liftgate open, but the car should still warn you before driving that your liftgate is open.
Sponsored

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I agree. Happened to me the other day when I was pulling out of my garage. luckily I spotted it just after I pulled out.. It would've been good to get an audible warning right after shifting to 'Drive'.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Rivian R1T R1S Safety Issue - R1S needs warning when liftgate is open IMG_6396
What I have been clamoring for is an adjustable lift-gate height limiter in the software like many other OEM’s have. When my wife and I put our 12’ hard paddle boards on top or our canoe, it hits without manual intervention, not to mention a low garage door.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Technically it does

PXL_20230518_205833975~2.jpg
That's visual, not audible. You can also tell by simply looking in the rearview mirror. An audible would benefit those who fail to perform a visual check for whatever reason.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Technically it does

PXL_20230518_205833975~2.jpg

You are right. The visual signal exists but it is easy to overlook that. An audible would help grab the driver's attention.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

My Outback has the warning and it is annoying as $hit.

Do you want the vehicle to give warning if you left something on the roof or the hood too?

I feel like we are warned to death on today's vehicles....

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I think a warning when we pull out and until 10 or 20 mph would be apt. Driving with the liftgate open is a valid use case when we carry long articles like wood, furniture etc. I agree continuous alerting is a pain.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
What about the tailgate for the R1T?
If you look at the screen display, it shows the open tailgate.

If you look at the camera screen when you put it in reverse, it is obvious on the overhead view and cannot be missed when looking at the screen showing the rearview camera.

Who wants some nagging ding-dong or voice telling them that the tailgate is open? Particularly with a short bed, the tailgate is going to frequently be open when hauling so much as a single 2x4 home from the big orange box.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
One or two distinctive tones might be ok when shifting into drive or reverse, but definitely nothing more than that.

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Isn't there a lot of noise from the rear (hearing the stuff going on around you not to mention the wind noise) while driving with it open an "audible warning"?

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

If you look at the camera screen when you put it in reverse, it is obvious on the overhead view and cannot be missed when looking at the screen showing the rearview camera.

Who wants some nagging ding-dong or voice telling them that the tailgate is open? Particularly with a short bed, the tailgate is going to frequently be open when hauling so much as a single 2x4 home from the big orange box.
I think I had the dash screen set to a different view like music or something when I was backing up and did not know the tailgate was down. So the camera view was not obvious or something. But your comment does make sense. But such notice could include an ignore option so to remove an annoying beep.

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
Yesterday I attempted to move my R1S a foot forward in the garage with the tailgate open... set off all kinds of alarms (beeping and a visual alert on the screen noting to close the tailgate before moving). It then shifted automatically into park and I could not move without closing the rear tailgate (it's possible I wasn't fully on the seat which can cause the auto park thing... but at the time I related it to the warnings on the dash). I remembered seeing the title of this thread yesterday and almost got my phone out to take a photo of the message. So clearly the logic is programmed into the system, but maybe it doesn't always work? There was no way I was driving off without noticing... the car made it very clear the tailgate was open and it wasn't safe to drive.

OP
OP

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai

I agree but a quick audio ding dong would be great especially for the R1S liftgate. The rearview camera would only be on if your in reverse, in this case she was only going forward. Also, there is no audio warning I think when a door is open. Those are basic safety issues that should be addressed. The audio doesnt have to repeat but a quick audio alarm door open liftgate open would be smart I think.
Sponsored