Sponsored

Kim Java’s posing shatters glass pano roof…

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you polled 100 Rivian owners "would you prefer a glass roof or a metal roof in a rollover accident" exactly 100 owners would reply metal roof. .
wrong. You may want a metal roof, but I absolutely wanted glass. I wouldn’t have bought a R1T if it didnt have a glass roof. I was disappointed it didn’t open, but no glass would have been a deal breaker.

and yes, I have decided not to buy other vehicles that didn’t offer glass roofs.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
How difficult would it be for Rivian to make/offer a solid roof option that could be easily dropped right into the current roof opening? At one time weren’t they going to offer a removable roof panel? I would be all in for ditching the glass roof, altogether.
At the risk of repeating myself over and over, I'll say it again - we need a 3rd party to offer a carbon fiber replacement panel for the glass. BimmerWorld sells them for the E46 series (1997 - 2006 3 series bimmers). $419. I would not think twice about replacing the glass with one of these if my glass crackeed.
Rivian R1T R1S Kim Java’s posing shatters glass pano roof… 1661479210673

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The worst thing IMO was Rivian blaming the driver for the break. I've had that happen before with other companies and it completely kills any good feelings I had towards them. They don't need to disclose that this is a systemic/design/quality issue to the owner, but the last thing they should do is BLAME them. Especially if they cracked 2 brand new roofs trying to install it. Their response is very worrying to me.
As an impartial 3rd party here, neither affiliated with Rivian nor the owner of the vehicle in question... I have no problem blaming the owner.

You can't seriously think the roof is designed to support humans walking or laying on it, can you?

Does Rivian really need a sign stating "Don't walk on the glass roof... It could break."

What's next.... McDonald's needing a disclaimer on their coffee stating it's "hot?" Oh wait... 🤔

Rivian should not have paid for the repair. This lady was an idiot with her truck and broke it. It was her fault.

Last edited:

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
wrong. You may want a metal roof, but I absolutely wanted glass. I wouldn’t have bought a R1T if it didnt have a glass roof. I was disappointed it didn’t open, but no glass would have been a deal breaker.

and yes, I have decided not to buy other vehicles that didn’t offer glass roofs.
I don't think you read my statement correct unless you feel safer in a vehicle with a glass roof when you are involved in a rollover accident.

And yes I understand there are people that prefer a glass roof. Ooohs and aaahs sell and sell well. I've only advocated for the OPTION to have a metal roof or anything but glass. Unless someone can correct me, I believe Rivian is the only truck in the world to ONLY have a glass roof option. There are surely enough people out there that don't want a glass roof if the option were available. At the very least fill the space that the glass would normally go with a solid insulated color-match metal panel. Easy.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

As an impartial 3rd party here, neither affiliated with Rivian nor the owner of the vehicle in question... I have no problem blaming the owner.

You can't seriously think the roof is designed to support humans walking or laying on it, can you?

Does Rivian really need a sign stating "Don't walk on the glass roof... It could break."

What's next.... McDonald's needing a disclaimer on their coffee stating it's "hot?" Oh wait... 🤔

Rivian should not have paid for the repair. This lady was na idiot with her truck and broke it. It was her fault.
I, and probably many others, wouldn't be concerned if there weren't multiple posts about the glass ceiling breaking. This incident doesn't sound like a one-off. There are multiple posts about what may be a weak windshield. It seems like someone broke the glass roof by leaning on it while washing it. That isn't normal.

And if you've ever read anything about why people sued McDonalds for hot coffee that caused physical burns, that they won, you might understand why they did it. But that might require some research on your part, and not a quick, uninformed reference.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Walking on it? Laying on it? Where did this come from? What are you going to attribute to me next, that I said it should withstand being hit by a 8lb sledgehammer???

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
@DJG "I've found that not leaving the vehicle exposed is the best way to prevent hail damage. Has never failed me, I've never had a vehicle hit by hail using this method and I live in an area that has above average frequency and severity of hail."

Do you never actually drive anywhere? Or do you just only drive places fancy enough that there is garage parking at *every* location? It seems unavoidable to just never leave the car outside if you actually use it at all.
DJG seems to be an expert at everything, even weather advice :) Either he lives in a cave or is a BOT. Not sure how you can live somewhere that allows you to seek cover for your vehicle as a practice. I'm in MN and sometimes the only time you know hail is coming is when you hear it.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

If you polled 100 Rivian owners "would you prefer a glass roof or a metal roof in a rollover accident" exactly 100 owners would reply metal roof.

That doesn't really answer the question I posed to the other poster. I genuinely do not understand how a glass roof would need to pass a rollover test. It seems similar to saying that a fabric roof on a Wrangler or Bronco would need to pass a rollover test but a fabric roof isn't structural. It isn't really relevant to the test.

Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Pretty unfortunate that the roof is not really solid but it really isn’t the smartest thing to sit or stand on a glass roof. I haven’t read the manual but I’d guess there’s a paragraph about not doing that exact thing. Next we can skip the crossbars and carry load directly on the glass.
At this point my desire for a solid roof just grew a lot. Never really considered hail but that aside, it should be an option...

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think the issue isn’t that putting pressure anywhere on the viewing portion of the glass roof will crack it. That part is clearly unsupported. I think the problem is that putting pressure at the perimeter, which people may reasonably assume should be supported by metal beneath it, may crack it. It may be that the adhesive is soft enough in heat that it permits the glass above metal to flex enough to crack, or maybe the adhesive and supporting structure beneath it is in from the edge of the glass leaving the outer perimeter of the glass unsupported in the place where people could reasonably expect if to be strongest.

Our LR3 has a giant piece of glass which covers the 2nd and 3rd rows though the headliner limits the viewing areas to 2 rectangular openings with a retractable mesh screen for each. I have no idea if anything supports it in the non-viewable areas because those areas you can’t see through are painted black on the underside of the glass so you can’t see adhesive, structure, dirt, etc. from the outside. When I wash it, I always assumed that the perimeter of the glass was the only safe place to lean with one hand while using the other to hold a sponge to wash the center. It’s 16 years old with 239,000 miles and the glass roof has never cracked, even after leaning on it at the edge when washing by hand or taking it through an automatic car wash with brushes pounding away at it. I don’t recall ever reading about one of these cracking on the Land Rover forum I visit.

Seeing these issues with the glass roof, I would not take a Rivian through a car wash with brushes and I think that taking a car with a glass or painted roof through a car wash with brushes is a reasonable expectation.

edit: typos

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
How difficult would it be for Rivian to make/offer a solid roof option that could be easily dropped right into the current roof opening? At one time weren’t they going to offer a removable roof panel? I would be all in for ditching the glass roof, altogether.
Absolutely agree. I also agree that people shouldn't be sitting/standing on these types of roofs but It's just an accident waiting to happen. Either "gorilla glass" it or give the option of a solid roof.

Last edited:

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Other threads here brag on Munro and MT and others talking about how overbuilt and off road tough R1 is. I would think that kind of vehicle should withstand some bad weather or mom propping up on the roof while camping. Perhaps the people who don’t leave the parking lot don’t agree? It does make me question if Rivian makes capable and reliable adventure vehicles for the extremes of the backcountry, or just piddling poseurs and garage queen grocery getters…
Sponsored