Sponsored

What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1?

Real world R1 efficiency observations

• Total voters

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I know we have watched a whole lot of videos, range tests, etc. For example watching the latest Out of Spec Motoring video from @OutofSpecKyle I see he was able to get ~2.2 mi/kWh with an average speed >70mph traveling to flagstaff. I believe he was using conserve mode for that leg of the trip. I think he got similar on his range test as well

In mixed driving (with the AT tires) and an average speed of around 40mph I have gotten ~1.8 mi/kWh combine that with losing ~4% of battery a day while the car is sitting idle I am a bit disappointed with my electricity use.

I know the usual things, such as speed, hills, wind, temp, how heavy your foot is etc. will impact driving range but real world experience what kind of efficiency are you seeing in your R1T? Feel free to add details about your experiences.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I think I'm averaging 1.99 mi/kwh on 20s over the life of the truck, so not to far off. I'll check and vote.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
@jjswan33 are you parking yours in a garage? How long are your typical trips?

I ask because a couple of things have happened with the ID.4 with me that may be applicable.

1. My efficiency around town, most of which are 15 to 25 mile drives, took an absolute dump when below 40 degrees (like 2.8 mi/kwh). It's better at 50, but when it was 60 or above I was beating the efficiency pretty easily (like 3.4 or 3.6 mi/kwh). I think a lot of this has to do with the vehicle being physically cold most of the time and applying energy to heating up. Kyle's test and trip was with everything warm basically, so even though it was outside, it averaged out over the flagstaff drive.

Other owners I talked to have had less if a hit by parking inside, but they still have some obviously.

2. Owners of the ID.4 have found that its much less efficiency for short drives than long drives. Presumably because of some conditioning overhead that occurs for most of the short drive.

Just some thoughts on potential culprits.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
I know we have watched a whole lot of videos, range tests, etc. For example watching the latest Out of Spec Motoring video from @OutofSpecKyle I see he was able to get ~2.2 mi/kWh with an average speed >70mph traveling to flagstaff. I believe he was using conserve mode for that leg of the trip. I think he got similar on his range test as well

In mixed driving (with the AT tires) and an average speed of around 40mph I have gotten ~1.8 mi/kWh combine that with losing ~4% of battery a day while the car is sitting idle I am a bit disappointed with my electricity use.

I know the usual things, such as speed, hills, wind, temp, how heavy your foot is etc. will impact driving range but real world experience what kind of efficiency are you seeing in your R1T? Feel free to add details about your experiences.
What on earth would be causing you to loose ~4% a day sitting idle. That seems exceptionally high. The manual says that if the 110V outlets are left on they will use power even if not in use.
Considering my vehicle may sit a week or longer between uses, loosing 4% a day is not a good thing.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I ask because a couple of things have happened with the ID.4 with me that may be applicable.

1. My efficiency around town, most of which are 15 to 25 mile drives, took an absolute dump when below 40 degrees (like 2.8 mi/kwh). It's better at 50, but when it was 60 or above I was beating the efficiency pretty easily (like 3.4 or 3.6 mi/kwh). I think a lot of this has to do with the vehicle being physically cold most of the time and applying energy to heating up. Kyle's test and trip was with everything warm basically, so even though it was outside, it averaged out over the flagstaff drive.

Other owners I talked to have had less if a hit by parking inside, but they still have some obviously.

2. Owners of the ID.4 have found that its much less efficiency for short drives than long drives. Presumably because of some conditioning overhead that occurs for most of the short drive.

This, completely. If you are driving mostly around town, sitting at lights, or at slow speeds, the % of your power spent running the heater is way higher than sitting at 70 mph on the highway. At highway speeds, the heater draw is a much smaller percentage hit to efficiency as the energy to move the vehicle dwarfs that to heat the cabin. Plus, once the cabin is warm, it is easier to maintain that temp.

Heater off on my ID.4 in Portland winter climate (not crazy cold) I can still get over 3.5 mi / kwh (some trips over 4 even). Heater on, getting over 3 is very very hard. On the highway, regardless of heater usage I get between 3.1 and 3.3. The range narrows so much the higher your speed goes

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes I have been parking my truck in my insulated garage for at least a couple weeks now.

Most of my driving is between Sandy and Gresham, several other trips up around Mt Hood, over to Hood River, Vancouver WA, to west of Portland. I’ve got over 1600 miles on it in 3 weeks it’s pretty mixed.

Hope to take a longer road trip next week so can get a better feel on a long trip how I do

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What on earth would be causing you to loose ~4% a day sitting idle. That seems exceptionally high. The manual says that if the 110V outlets are left on they will use power even if not in use.
Considering my vehicle may sit a week or longer between uses, loosing 4% a day is not a good thing.
Yeah it’s high easily 3-4% no exaggeration, not sure what is causing it. In the garage, gear guard off. There are other threads on this topic, I’m certainly not alone In noticing that.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Rivian R1T R1S What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1? 4535E713-B201-41F1-89FB-80D5B8EA9581

Conserve mode this morning, mostly country roads and highway. 22’s. Low suspension setting.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It would be great if we could get some more responses here so we can see the real world difference between the different tire sets.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm not even sure parking inside makes a huge difference, caveat that my garage is not insulated despite being attached. While I'm fairly certain at this point that MINI doesn't precondition the battery while preconditioning the cabin, I do delay charging until just before departure and I do precondition the cabin. I find I get around 3.3-3.8 mi/kWh below 40F, definitely lower 3s when below 25F, and then 3.8-4+ mi/kWh when it's 60F+. My commute is fun because I live at 6200ft and have to drive down almost 1000ft no matter where I go. Other folks in Denver see 4.5+ mi/kWh on average, where even driving efficiently I'll only see 4.5 mi/kWh on my trip down to the office. That all to say that yes, 100%, outside temp (or really battery temp) matters a lot to overall efficiency even if the cabin heating/cooling isn't factored in. I think my Spark EV did condition the battery while conditioning the cabin and even in the cold it wasn't difficult to see close to 5 mi/kWh on that car.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Yeah it’s high easily 3-4% no exaggeration, not sure what is causing it. In the garage, gear guard off. There are other threads on this topic, I’m certainly not alone In noticing that.
Have you tried to kill all communications (WiFi, phone as a key, …) to see if you notice any difference?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I do precondition the cabin.
………
I think my Spark EV did condition the battery while conditioning the cabin and even in the cold it wasn't difficult to see close to 5 mi/kWh on that ca
You vehicle does not count that energy as a part of efficiency calculations when you are plugged in?

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Have you tried to kill all communications (WiFi, phone as a key, …) to see if you notice any difference?
I did previously do an overnight test removing phone as a key, didn't make a difference. I currently have it on but have passive functionality disabled. I think it would be better to keep the discussion on the battery drain topic on this thread, a lot of good information there.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Interesting the 3 votes between 21 and 22 are the same. Curious if that holds true with more responders.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting the 3 votes between 21 and 22 are the same. Curious if that holds true with more responders.
Yeah I was surprised by that too. According to the delivery survey plenty of 22" sport tires out there so we should at least be able to populate that. Might be tough to get enough responses on the 21s though.
Sponsored