Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I hadn't realized the 135 model will be faster than the 180. And looks like no under-seat storage for the 180 truck either.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
I hadn't realized the 135 model will be faster than the 180. And looks like no under-seat storage for the 180 truck either.
That's not what the chart indicates. The "Gear Tunnel" (350L) is available on all models of the R1T. It is the (95L) under seat volume that is not available on the R1T; presumably where the extra 45KW worth of batteries will be stored.

Last edited:

RefugeEV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Cayenne
Was deep diving into the specs - if the production R1T keep these approach angle, departure angle and breakover angle #'s, they would basically be class leading in the pickup segment.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
So the 180kwh pack on the r1t will last from ny to Boston, so about 430m and have some juice left.
The 135kwh did some off/on road range up to 315miles. Could highway miles be worse that off road miles?
Also, im guessing the suv will have better highway range. How much could that be?

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Could highway miles be worse that off road miles?
Also, im guessing the suv will have better highway range. How much could that be?
Yes, highway miles can be worse than off road miles. It depends on what you're doing on road and what you're doing off road. If your driving 70+ on the highway versus 30 off road and the off road is reasonably flat then you will get greater efficiency off road. If your off road travels involve going up 45 degree hills repeatedly, then you might do better on the highway.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
So the 180kwh pack on the r1t will last from ny to Boston, so about 430m...
Yes, easily as LaGuardia to Logan is only 210 miles.

It is important for prospective new BEV drivers to understand that the practical working range of a BEV is 70-75% of its EPA rated range. Thus a conservative driver plans to stop and charge a 400 mile truck at around 300 miles. Consider LaGuardia to the Portland, ME airport. That's 305 miles and you could, theoretically, do it on 84% of the battery. Most people leave on trips with 90% SoC. You would arrive in Portsmouth with 9% and that would make most drivers uncomfortable. They would stop along the way at a convenient charger with its location chosen by convenience, bladder SoC or, perhaps, the desire to arrive in Portrsmouth with enough charge on board to enable local travel or to enable departure the next morning with enough charge to comfortably make it back to a fast charger on the return route.

Play with A Better Route Planner.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Most people Tesla owners leave on trips with 90% SoC.
Fixed it for you.
I think it unlikely that Rivian will make the top buffer of the battery available for additional range at the risk of accelerated battery degradation. It does allow a manufacturer to advertise a 10% higher EPA range, but with the caveat to not use it. If the Tesla battery management system stopped charging at the level they consider safe for everyday charging, the 402 mile Model S would be listed by the EPA at 360 or so. Tesla is currently the only manufacturer that does this. The owners manuals of other vehicles have no warnings about charging to 100% on an everyday basis, in fact some actually recommend doing just that.

duff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Pathfinder
Occupation
EE
What stat would indicate the drain on a stationary battery? So for an example if I park my truck at the airport for two week trip (no charging) with just 9% battery would there be any juice left when I get back? I do leave my car at the airport parking lot quite a bit for travel.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
What stat would indicate the drain on a stationary battery? So for an example if I park my truck at the airport for two week trip (no charging) with just 9% battery would there be any juice left when I get back? I do leave my car at the airport parking lot quite a bit for travel.
This would not be recommended for a few reasons.
  • Batteries don't like to be left at low SoC
  • Many vehicles will do some battery conditioning to keep the battery cool (sometimes warm) if the SoC is above a certain level (often 30%). Vegas will have temperatures that might warrant this if you are parked outdoors at the airport
  • You would likely need to charge after leaving the airport anyway (or why would you arrive there with a low SoC), so better to leave the battery in it's "happy place" with more of a charge. There is an EA station just a couple of miles from the airport and 10-15 minutes would give a good charge to sit for a couple of weeks
As to how much "vampire" battery drain there will be: one of those things we will not know until they are being shipped and users report from the field. Tesla's tend to have this as an issue, other manufacturers are at 1-2 kWh per month (without things like battery conditioning). Things like sentry mode will require the car to "wake up" and use battery power.

Sponsored

duff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Pathfinder
Occupation
EE
That 9% was silly on my part since I live 5 minutes from the airport. :)

It's cheaper to park my car for two weeks than getting a cab but I would most likely have a full charge from home anyways. In Vegas it can get up to 120 degrees in the summer and stay around 90 degrees at night. I would assume that the battery conditioning drain would be on the high end for me.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That 9% was silly on my part since I live 5 minutes from the airport. :)
There's no problem with that in a Rivian. A Tesla owner stays out of the lower 20% region if he can but Tesla is the only manufacturer that makes the battery buffer area available to the driver of the car. Rivian does not do this. Thus there is a large buffer between 0 on the gauge and the actual lower limit of the battery capacity and you have no worries if you go down to -10% or so. Others here have all the details of Rivan's BMS and can give us the exact number.

As to an indicator that phantom drain is taking place the obvious one is that the SoC is declining. Rivian will no doubt have a smartphone app which will allow a variety of things respecting the car to be done remotely. This app will, at the very least, tell you what the vehicles SoC is. The Teslas seem to consume a few percent per day. A 3rd party app that collects data on these things indicates that the distribution mode is about 1.3 - 1.5% SoC per day but note that one of the things that contributes to phantom drain is applications like this one that are periodically reporting info to the app owners central database. With enough of those going (lots of Tesla owners run 2 of these) and the draw can go up to 3% per day or more. The Tesla Sentry mode (which records video from the cars cameras when it is parked) is a huge consumer.

The remarks about going down below 0 above were, of course, a joke. Rivian owners will want to stay out of the bottom 10% of the battery range just as Tesla owners do and in any case, of course, you will want to have enough on board to get home or to a charger when you return home from your trip. To help with this the Tesla does, and Rivian will too no doubt start shutting down some housekeeping functions in order to conserve battery if phantom drain does get SoC too low. A Tesla will not allow the AC to operate when the vehicle is empty if the battery goes below 20% but I don't think that would be considered phantom drain. I don't think your phantom drain will necessarily be larger just because you live in a warm place. Even though it eats several percent of the battery per day it only amounts to a total of a little more than 100 W.

Finally note that if you do come home and find your self critically low there are several chargers within a mile or 2 of McCarran (and Henderson).

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have parked my Bolt at the Phoenix airport in the summer for 5-7 days and see very little drain on the battery. I try to get to the airport with 50-60% on the battery, being at half charge is best for long term storage of lithium batteries. I also park in a garage, so that the hot sun is not beating down on the car all day, it is worth the few extra bucks a day in parking fees, no matter what car you drive.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Height of R1T and R1S

A few months ago, I got the details below from customer service. The height of the vehicles listed on the Rivian site do not match each other and they offer only one height for a vehicle that has variable suspension and different tire configurations. The below is, I believe, for the road tires.

CS said that both vehicles are the same height. At the time they didn't know if there would be an option to not have the shark fin antenna. Personally, I'd prefer to not have it as they 1) add height and 2) sometimes get in the way of roof cargo. But it seems like the only ones that don't are the preproduction vehicles.

An added feature request would be for the cameras to detect if you're going to go under something too low to clear. I have a low clearance garage door that will work fine in sport mode but not in standard. I also have been in some parking garages that wouldn't be tall enough in standard mode.

Additional clarification is needed in the owners manual on this topic as well. I got the impression that the suspension might even be adjustable even within each drive mode.

Rivian R1T and R1S Heights
ModeTop of CabTop of AntennaTop of Crossbars
Standard73"75.7"76"
Sport70.4"73.1"73.4"
Off-road75.6"78.3"78.6"

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Can anyone provide the distance from the bed floor to the top of the roof, on the R1T? Thank you.
Sponsored