First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
do you think that in 2 or 3 years, charging stations will be all over (eg, 7-11, Costco, regular gas stations)? will it be like how ATMs are everywhere just so that the owner of the real estate can make $2 per withdrawal? Why wouldn't the same thing happen with EV chargers?
For one thing, the installation cost.

And unless you want to throw $100k+ out the door, you want the charging station to be busy. If most people "fuel up" at home 80%+ of the time, the demand is relatively low other than along travel routes. And those travel routes have massive spikes in demand over the holidays. Hence Tesla tries to get people to travel during off times during holidays.

Just a thought experiment. If you want to install a single 150kw charger, and it's $50k (maybe more), how long do you think it's going to take to make that back just charging for the electricity if the DCFV locations aren't generally busy?

(This is where I think having national State/Federal funding to help with the buildout and facilitate the initial economics is needed).
Sponsored

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
For one thing, the installation cost.

And unless you want to throw $100k+ out the door, you want the charging station to be busy. If most people "fuel up" at home 80%+ of the time, the demand is relatively low other than along travel routes. And those travel routes have massive spikes in demand over the holidays. Hence Tesla tries to get people to travel during off times during holidays.

Just a thought experiment. If you want to install a single 150kw charger, and it's $50k (maybe more), how long do you think it's going to take to make that back just charging for the electricity if the DCFV locations aren't generally busy?

(This is where I think having national State/Federal funding to help with the buildout and facilitate the initial economics is needed).
I imagine the install costs will come down, the demand will increase with more EV's (though I agree, it's tricky since vast majority of charging will happen at home), and I do hope there's some subsidy.
I guess we'll see. Agree with other comments that for most people, even fairly expensive out of home charging is a small part of the equation for most people.

impastu

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X & S, Honda Pilot, Range Rover Evoque,
Here in southern NY Con-Ed has a TOU rate <2c/kWh with an EV registered at home. On top of that is a special program that rebates ~10c/kWh when charging anywhere in the Con-Ed territory (have to install one of those ECU plugs to track). So our utility bill for overnight is ~$10-15 per month, then we get a ~$75 rebate. Won’t last forever, but it’s a great deal while it lasts.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Unfortunately, there is a sizable population that does not have access to home charging. Most condominium and apartment complexes do not have power that is accessible to the vehicles. A friend of mine tried to get his complex to put one in but the owners association nixed it due to a lack of available parking. He told me cost was not the issue but the space was.
So they are forced into using remote charging.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately, there is a sizable population that does not have access to home charging. Most condominium and apartment complexes do not have power that is accessible to the vehicles. A friend of mine tried to get his complex to put one in but the owners association nixed it due to a lack of available parking. He told me cost was not the issue but the space was.
IMO, this is the biggest issue to widespread adoption. That's why battery swapping plays a big component in China.

Having public charging on things like light poles sort of addresses it, but apartment and condominium complexes that have parking will need to be incentivized to make upgrades. And then areas where there is not off-street parking made available, municipalities may need to find creative ways to provide charging in convenient locations.

Or you have 50kw fast chargers all over the place, and the cost to own an EV is higher. Which is sort of how it is in Seattle.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Here in blockheaterland, virtually every paid parking lot, apartment parking lot etc. has 110v at every parking space.

higher voltage/current charging is another matter of course.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Here in blockheaterland, virtually every paid parking lot, apartment parking lot etc. has 110v at every parking space.

higher voltage/current charging is another matter of course.
When it’s so cold you need a block heater, I’m not sure 110v is going to do much more than keep your battery management system running unfortunately.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
That's why battery swapping plays a big component in China.
Sadly, that won't work too well in the states. Too much competition between the competitors (despite what ever collaborations may or may not exist), too much battery diversity between the companies and their proprietary batteries, too much wait time for the swap to occur (you think with how things are ran in the U.S, we'll see 5 - 10 minute swaps, even if scheduled ahead of time? Hell no. It's going to be at least a 30+ minute wait).

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sadly, that won't work too well in the states. Too much competition between the competitions (despite what ever collaborations may or may not exist), too much battery diversity between the companies and their proprietary batteries, too much wait time for the swap to occur (you think with how things are ran in the U.S, we'll see 5 - 10 minute swaps, even if scheduled ahead of time? Hell no. It's going to be at least a 30+ minute wait).
I don't disagree. It's a miracle we can mostly plug in with the same cable.

Sportskid1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5
Just be glad you don't live in SoCal and have So Cal Edison. Our "cheap rates" are 30c per khr and go up to 49c during peak hours. Kind of makes getting an EV not worth it.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Just be glad you don't live in SoCal and have So Cal Edison. Our "cheap rates" are 30c per khr and go up to 49c during peak hours.
Maybe you should change your plan. Those aren't the rates I'm paying SCE.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just be glad you don't live in SoCal and have So Cal Edison. Our "cheap rates" are 30c per khr and go up to 49c during peak hours. Kind of makes getting an EV not worth it.
Call them up and change your plan to TOU-D-PRIME plan. As long as you have an EV and level 2 charger you can have that plan. Only 20c per kWh for non peak.

Sportskid1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5
I have got solar so that plan would undermine my benefits of solar. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot now. Something they dont tell you when you get solar installed.

Call them up and change your plan to TOU-D-PRIME plan. As long as you have an EV and level 2 charger you can have that plan. Only 20c per kWh for non peak.

HalfFullGirl

First Name
Kimberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be R1S owner
Occupation
Operations Manager
Tesla rates have increased since 2017. I haven't supercharged in 2 years so can't tell you current prices (and also vary by state).

As far as Electrify America - the $0.43 rate is for non-Pass+ Members. If you are a Pass+ Members, the rate is $0.31 per kWh plus $4 per month. Charging once pays for itself - 180 kWh Ă— .31 = $55.80 + $4.00.

DC charging has never been cheap. With a 400 mile range, you should not need to DC charge very often.
My Model 3 is 24bucks for aprox 220miles at CA Tesla charging stations.

HalfFullGirl

First Name
Kimberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be R1S owner
Occupation
Operations Manager
I have got solar so that plan would undermine my benefits of solar. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot now. Something they dont tell you when you get solar installed.
Not sure I understand how changing to the EV rate defeats purpose of solar.
Sponsored