Sponsored

Anyone buying the $500 Rivian Wall Charger?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Can NEMA 50 (with an adequate circuit) hit the peak of this unit? If not is there a NEMA plug/circuit combination that could safely draw the max current you could achieve with a hardwired connection on the same unit?
Might be best to ask your electrician.

There are some welder plugs capable of a 60 amp draw which is what is required for the 48 amp charger rate. Not sure if it is supported by your local code to use them for an EV charger though.
Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Might be best to ask your electrician.

There are some welder plugs capable of a 60 amp draw which is what is required for the 48 amp charger rate. Not sure if it is supported by your local code to use them for an EV charger though.
I don’t believe there is a non-hardwired option that meets residential code in most places in the states that does over 50 amps. You can, however, still remove the charger and leave a junction box behind that terminates the circuit if you want to take the charger with you.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
I'll probably get a 240v single phase version of the Zappi V2 so I can choose to charge exclusively off solar. 3 phase would be even better but I'm not paying for an upgrade

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Summary:
•The Rivian charger is capable of charging the Rivian vehicles at the maximum AC current (50A) the vehicles can accept
•In order to supply that 50A the charger must be hard wired to a 60A circuit and configured (internal dip switches) for a 60 A circuit
•The Rivian charger is capable of being wired to a lower capacity circuit but if that it is done it must be configured for that lower capacity.
•Theoretically one could wire a suitable cord and 14-50P to the Rivian charger, set the DIP switches for a 50A breaker and take 40A from a 14-50R receptacle for charging. Rivian frowns upon this and technically it is not code compliant. Wiring a 14-60P and setting for a 60A breaker is definitely a code violation.
•Theoretically one could easily swap out a Rivian charger hard wired to a 60A circuit and replace it with a Tesla HPWC (or a 60A charger made by any other OEM). The practical aspect of this turns on whether the wires disconnected from the Rivian charger will be long enough to reach the lugs on the new charger. The trick is to plan ahead when you install. Leave a loop of extra wire in the wall to allow for this eventuality. You will always be able to kluge something with a junction box but the end result may not be as neat as you might have hoped and you may have to do some dry wall work.

Last edited:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I'm not getting Rivian's because it is hardwired. I spend a significant amount of time at a camp. The 16mi/hr should be more than enough for overnight charging for my avg daily use at either site. I'll research plug in EVSEs to consider in the future. Hopefully Rivian will decide to offer a branded one. One thing I learned in another thread is the plug in EVSE's can only be used on a single Amp level outlet, so need to make sure I have the same level at each location. The house I just bought has a 200A main panel with a 100A subpanel in the garage so has every option. The camp is very old with a 100A main. So I'm thinking I'll still be ok with a 50A outlet at both, but will have an electrician verify that for the camp.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
One thing I learned in another thread is the plug in EVSE's can only be used on a single Amp level outlet, so need to make sure I have the same level at each location.
That's not true of the portable chargers that come with the Rivian or the Tesla. Both can plug into a normal 120V household outlet or a NEMA 14-50R. The Tesla UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) can also be used with adapters for several othe types of outlets. AFAIK the current Rivian unit has only the 120 and 14-50R adapters but who knows what the future holds. At the present time you could charge your Rivian from a dryer outlet in your garage using a Tesla UMC and TeslaTap (adapts the Tesla connector to the J1772 one). Note that neither the Tesla nor Rivian mobile connectors will deliver more than 32A even though they be plugged into a 14-50R on a 50A circuit.

One can also buy (or make) all kinds of adapters so that, for example, he can plug the 14-50P on the mobile EVSE into a 14-30R receptacle. I don't recommend these because one should set, in this example, the charging level to no more than 24A. In the first place one would have to know that (and it's clear from many of the posts in these forums that many don't) and in the second place those who do know that mustn't forget it. That's where I wouldn't do too well.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Shout out to @CommodoreAmiga for teaching me something in a different thread. The Rivian charger is configured for hardwire installations only. However, it is apparently possible to "hardwire" the Rivian charger to a NEMA pigtail that you can then plug into a NEMA receptacle. That way, if you move out, you should just be able to unplug the Rivian charger and take it with you, and then the new owner could plug in whatever EVSE is compatible.
You really shouldn't convert a hardwired EVSE to plug wired unless the manufacturer specifically includes the hardware to do it. It's a UL violation and can lead to a headache getting your insurance to cover your house burning down from a defective unit.l, even if it was unrelated to your modifications.

That said, NEMA 14-60 plugs will handle a 48A draw. Whether or not you are allowed to install them is up to your local code. Some municipalities don't allow plugs over 50A in residential spaces.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
FWIW, I only used the mobile charger for my Tesla for the 4 years I owned it. I plugged it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage and never once unplugged it to take it with me. Based on that experience, I'm not buying the Rivian wall charger.

The use case for the Rivian is a little different (and the charging network is not as vast yet), so maybe I find myself wanting the wall charger down the line so I can just keep the mobile charger in the truck.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Shout out to @CommodoreAmiga for teaching me something in a different thread. The Rivian charger is configured for hardwire installations only. However, it is apparently possible to "hardwire" the Rivian charger to a NEMA pigtail that you can then plug into a NEMA receptacle. That way, if you move out, you should just be able to unplug the Rivian charger and take it with you, and then the new owner could plug in whatever EVSE is compatible.
Thank you! That is awesome information.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
That's not true of the portable chargers that come with the Rivian or the Tesla. Both can plug into a normal 120V household outlet or a NEMA 14-50R. The Tesla UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) can also be used with adapters for several othe types of outlets. AFAIK the current Rivian unit has only the 120 and 14-50R adapters but who knows what the future holds. At the present time you could charge your Rivian from a dryer outlet in your garage using a Tesla UMC and TeslaTap (adapts the Tesla connector to the J1772 one). Note that neither the Tesla nor Rivian mobile connectors will deliver more than 32A even though they be plugged into a 14-50R on a 50A circuit.

One can also buy (or make) all kinds of adapters so that, for example, he can plug the 14-50P on the mobile EVSE into a 14-30R receptacle. I don't recommend these because one should set, in this example, the charging level to no more than 24A. In the first place one would have to know that (and it's clear from many of the posts in these forums that many don't) and in the second place those who do know that mustn't forget it. That's where I wouldn't do too well.
I'm not talking about the portable charger (i.e. cord) that can be plugged into anything. Talking about an actual EVSE unit that is portable vs hard wired. I was told that while they can plug into any 240V outlet, they can only be set up to accept a single Amp level. So I couldn't take my portable EVSE from a 50A to a 40A outlet at a different location. That's just the way I understood it explained on another post, so I could be wrong. Either way, I think my best bet would be to install 50A outlets at both locations understanding the cord that comes with the truck will only draw 32A, but if I do end up purchasing a portable EVSE from anyone in the future it will work in either location.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
You really shouldn't convert a hardwired EVSE to plug wired unless the manufacturer specifically includes the hardware to do it. It's a UL violation
It is a NEC violation. I would not expect the UL, or any other laboratory, to list an item that violates NEC.

and can lead to a headache getting your insurance to cover your house burning down from a defective unit.l, even if it was unrelated to your modifications.
I would not want to face my insurance company with unlisted equipment installed in violation of NEC.

That said, NEMA 14-60 plugs will handle a 48A draw. Whether or not you are allowed to install them is up to your local code. Some municipalities don't allow plugs over 50A in residential spaces.
It is true that the AHJ has the final say but a plug bigger than 50A (14-50R) is prohibited by NEC and it must be on EVSE that is not adjustable.

Tbauer87

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Seltos, Jeep Gramd Cherokee
Is anyone buying the $500 wall charger? Does that charge faster than the standard charging wire that comes with the car?
Absolutely it’s capable of up to 48 amps of charging there is only one other level 2 home charger that I know of that has that capability and that’s by ChargePoint at $700. More amps = faster charging, A 240V plug will give less amps than a level 2 charger hardwired to your home. For example to get the full 48 amps you will need to have a 2 pole 60 amp breaker installed and run 6 AWG wires from that directly to charger. I had a friend come out and install the wiring for me so now anyone with basic skills could install any hardwired level 2 charger.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Talking about an actual EVSE unit that is portable vs hard wired. I was told that while they can plug into any 240V outlet, they can only be set up to accept a single Amp level.
They can't plug into any 240V outlet (unless you put on a different plug). They are not "commissioned" in the sense that the Rivian EVSE or Teslsa or WallBox units are. They are permanently wired to signal the car that it can have as many amps as the plug is rated for.

So I couldn't take my portable EVSE from a 50A to a 40A outlet at a different location.
Perhaps you unintentionally picked a bad exmple but yes, you could take a WallBox with a 14-50P from a 50 amp 14-50R outlet to a 40A 14-50R but the Wallbox is a bad example in the sense that it is adjustable down from 40A which is OK if you are plugged into a 14-50R wired to a 50A breaker but not if plugged into to one wired for 40.

That's just the way I understood it explained on another post, so I could be wrong. Either way, I think my best bet would be to install 50A outlets at both locations understanding the cord that comes with the truck will only draw 32A, but if I do end up purchasing a portable EVSE from anyone in the future it will work in either location.
As you can see it gets complicated so I think your plan is very probably a good one.

Tbauer87

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Seltos, Jeep Gramd Cherokee
I'm not getting Rivian's because it is hardwired. I spend a significant amount of time at a camp. The 16mi/hr should be more than enough for overnight charging for my avg daily use at either site. I'll research plug in EVSEs to consider in the future. Hopefully Rivian will decide to offer a branded one. One thing I learned in another thread is the plug in EVSE's can only be used on a single Amp level outlet, so need to make sure I have the same level at each location. The house I just bought has a 200A main panel with a 100A subpanel in the garage so has every option. The camp is very old with a 100A main. So I'm thinking I'll still be ok with a 50A outlet at both, but will have an electrician verify that for the camp.
You could just wire a plug into the RIVIAN charger they sell them at any home goods store or bestbuy. You just will not be able to get the full 48amps with a plug.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I currently do not have the Rivian wall charger with my config. I figure the included charger with the Nema 14-50 plug I installed will be sufficient for me.

I am still on the fence though because buying it with the Rivian means a $200 discount, the $500 price tag for what you get seems like a good deal, then I always have a backup charging option if something breaks.

Really I am looking towards the future and hoping they release a V2H capable charger, this I would buy without hesitation.
Sponsored