Sponsored

Charging curve? - Breckenridge chargers - locals take a peek this week?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
It is what the car is capable of.
Yup, I'm actually less concerned of what the stations can do.... those will be upgraded over time as 50kW stations are replaced with 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 350+.

My main concern is, "What's the hard limitation of the vehicle?"

It's a "Con" I have with the F150... they hard cap at 150kW (as I understand it).
Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
There's got to be a customer delivery happening soon from someone on this forum that can go do all the testing...
I'll finish the sentence (in good fun): who will be hunted down and forced to demo their vehicle that they paid lots of money for, for the benefit of us.

: )

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yup, I'm actually less concerned of what the stations can do.... those will be upgraded over time as 50kW stations are replaced with 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 350+.

My main concern is, "What's the hard limitation of the vehicle?"

It's a "Con" I have with the F150... they hard cap at 150kW (as I understand it).
I know 150 is what Ford is basing the charging speeds on, but I call absolute BS on that actually being the peak. It just doesn't make sense. Pretty sure they're just trying to manage expectations since 350kw chargers aren't ubiquitous.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I know 150 is what Ford is basing the charging speeds on, but I call absolute BS on that actually being the peak. It just doesn't make sense. Pretty sure they're just trying to manage expectations since 350kw chargers aren't ubiquitous.
Yes, setting expectations can be a bit bleak when we have yet to see “real world”. Always room for improvement. :)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
For context, one of the new owners just did 22-81% in 40 minutes, and started at 22% showing approximately 125 kw. Seems like the current "public" software may be very restricted in charging rate. Which may also be why Rivian hasn't let someone like InsideEVS log the charging curve.

Pure speculation, but I don't see Emme lying to us, and she seems detail oriented enough to not accidentally slip a 1 in front of 80 and not notice it.

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

For context, one of the new owners just did 22-81% in 40 minutes, and started at 22% showing approximately 125 kw. Seems like the current "public" software may be very restricted in charging rate. Which may also be why Rivian hasn't let someone like InsideEVS log the charging curve.

Pure speculation, but I don't see Emme lying to us, and she seems detail oriented enough to not accidentally slip a 1 in front of 80 and not notice it.
I'd be surprised if they bothered to change the software for her. With the ability to fast charge nightly, they didn't need to do so in order to keep her topped off. Risking thermal problems in the dessert by mucking with their tested charging curve has little benefit. The much more likely explanation is that the vehicle is capable of more than what this one random charger in our oh so wonderful public charging network was willing to put out. Rivian has been pretty consistent in that 200kw will be the peak at launch. Emme's data is more in line with that.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

It seems reasonable to assume that the Rebelle Rally truck had a customer software build. If you only care about a battery pack lasting for a race then you can really blast it with current to charge quickly. The whole point of BMS dialing in a conservative charging curve is to balance the desire to charge quickly against pack longevity.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd be surprised if they bothered to change the software for her. With the ability to fast charge nightly, they didn't need to do so in order to keep her topped off. Risking thermal problems in the dessert by mucking with their tested charging curve has little benefit. The much more likely explanation is that the vehicle is capable of more than what this one random charger in our oh so wonderful public charging network was willing to put out. Rivian has been pretty consistent in that 200kw will be the peak at launch. Emme's data is more in line with that.
Maybe not needed for the race, itself... But consider that a custom software build would allow Rivian to test things and gather some great data. The faster charge curve may not be needed to satisfy Emme, but it could give Rivian valuable information about how the truck handles it and what the effect to battery longevity may be.

Not saying it is custom software or stock…. Just saying it is entirely plausible that it is custom.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah. I hope your line of thinking is right. It's more than one charging session, though and nobody else that I've heard of has reported seeing more than 140 kw at 50%+ SOC in the wild.

The other thing to consider, is last I heard Emme wasn't sure how they were going to keep the team from having GPS access. So Rivian may have pushed out a UI nerfed software build, and at the same time did some testing on the truck by pushing it a bit harder.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Maybe not needed for the race, itself... But consider that a custom software build would allow Rivian to test things and gather some great data. The faster charge curve may not be needed to satisfy Emme, but it could give Rivian valuable information about how the truck handles it and what the effect to battery longevity may be.

Not saying it is custom software or stock…. Just saying it is entirely plausible that it is custom.
They have their own testing program. If they were testing different curves they would do so with their engineers and testers doing so, with full on diagnostic equipment riding along and hooked in. Again, in my mind, not super plausible.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They have their own testing program. If they were testing different curves they would do so with their engineers and testers doing so, with full on diagnostic equipment riding along and hooked in. Again, in my mind, not super plausible.
You can disagree if you want.

But consider that there is precedent, even. Rivian analyzed the data from last years race, and also from the LWU trucks. They’ve even said that tangible design changes were made as a result of what they learned.

To me, it seems incredibly unlikely that Rivian just gave them a truck and said “good luck” and doesn’t care about the data. In my mind, this is partially for publicity, and partially for gathering some extreme-use data.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You can disagree if you want.

But consider that there is precedent, even. Rivian analyzed the data from last years race, and also from the LWU trucks. They’ve even said that tangible design changes were made as a result of what they learned.

To me, it seems incredibly unlikely that Rivian just gave them a truck and said “good luck” and doesn’t care about the data. In my mind, this is partially for publicity, and partially for gathering some extreme-use data.
As you said, I 100% believe they are looking at the data, I just would assume the most likely thing is to get data about their current "production" build to verify it. Testing new, more experimental options would be better with their engineers more closely involved.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

This is an issue with Electrify America chargers. I've seen videos on YouTube recently with cars that support 250kw charging and only getting 125kw. This is happening across different car brands too, so I don't think it's on the software side. Don't expect this to improve until the rivian level 3 chargers start being installed.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
This is an issue with Electrify America chargers. I've seen videos on YouTube recently with cars that support 250kw charging and only getting 125kw. This is happening across different car brands too, so I don't think it's on the software side. Don't expect this to improve until the rivian level 3 chargers start being installed.
I actually think this is more plausible.

While they might have a custom build pushed to the rally truck (again, to disable GPS and maybe a few other items). I think it's more likely that the mobile charging station they were using, was set up to push as much to the truck as the truck was asking for.

Whereas EA has all kinds of other factors that can screw with it's ability to hit the peak amount the vehicle is asking for.

For example, I've seen EA stations throttle because they are overheating, as well, I've also seen pretty much every charging station throttle based on local demand.

My hope is that 180kW is what the truck can do "out of the box", and based on how you drive and charge, they can then tweak and tune the BMS to meet certain criteria and either unlock higher charging rate on the truck (200kW+) or, throttle you back to 150kW because you are "abusing" the battery.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting. I hadn't seen that quirk. Hopefully EA fixes it. Wonder if it's tied to one of their hardware brands being a PiA.

I actually think this is more plausible.

While they might have a custom build pushed to the rally truck (again, to disable GPS and maybe a few other items). I think it's more likely that the mobile charging station they were using, was set up to push as much to the truck as the truck was asking for.

Whereas EA has all kinds of other factors that can screw with it's ability to hit the peak amount the vehicle is asking for.

For example, I've seen EA stations throttle because they are overheating, as well, I've also seen pretty much every charging station throttle based on local demand.

My hope is that 180kW is what the truck can do "out of the box", and based on how you drive and charge, they can then tweak and tune the BMS to meet certain criteria and either unlock higher charging rate on the truck (200kW+) or, throttle you back to 150kW because you are "abusing" the battery.
Agreed. It'd be nice of Rivian would just release a reference charging curve like other manufacturers have. At least then you can easily tell if something is acting up (or maybe the truck just isn't properly preconditioned).
Sponsored