First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
If the vehicle price cap stays at $74k for pickups, it practically creates a $10,000 + ($73k minus $67.5k) = $15.5k price gap for Adventure vs. Explore packages.

Unless getting a base Adventure with no upgrades for paint/wheels or most other things.
Sponsored

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
only thing that matters really is making it point of sale vs an end of the year right off... did that make it in?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Last edited:

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
Is the $74k per or post tax and fees? Configurator shows $70k for mine.

Rivian R1T R1S Frightening EV Credits D35492E3-62AB-4EA8-B561-62272DD1D6E2

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

If this passes as is, it will pretty much force the issue for me to switch from my current plan (replace current family car with R1S to be my daily drive and primary family car) to my plan B (replace current family car with VW Buzz when it is available and get an R1T for myself). If they do end up making the Buzz in Nashville, that would mean $20k in tax credits between the two purchases, which would effectively make the total cost of a SR R1T and a VW Buzz equivalent to the R1T by itself.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
only thing that matters really is making it point of sale vs an end of the year right off... did that make it in?
Current wording has it still as an end of year credit and not a point of sale

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
In California our state EV rebate is capped based on MSRP, but that MSRP is calculated from the base price of the model. I think the limit is $40k or something. So now I as long as there's some base version of a Tesla Model 3 that is under $40k, then all Model 3's are eligible for the rebate. You can option yours out to over $60k and get the rebate.

Hopefully that's how the new federal plan works.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Is the $74k per or post tax and fees? Configurator shows $70k for mine.

D35492E3-62AB-4EA8-B561-62272DD1D6E2.jpeg
Currently based on MSRP:
No credit shall be allowed under subsection (a) for a vehicle with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price in excess of the applicable limitation.
I can see Tesla going back to what they did with selling a 'reduced capacity' battery as the base level to get MSRP under a given number, then selling an 'option' to upgrade to full capacity. If memory serves me right, I think they did this in Canada to get the incentive there.

Maybe Rivian will consider something similar?

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
In California our state EV rebate is capped based on MSRP, but that MSRP is calculated from the base price of the model. I think the limit is $40k or something. So now I as long as there's some base version of a Tesla Model 3 that is under $40k, then all Model 3's are eligible for the rebate. You can option yours out to over $60k and get the rebate.

Hopefully that's how the new federal plan works.
Looks like that determination will left be up to the DOT as there is currently no additional language on which MSRP to use, so it falls under the purview of the Secretary of Transportation:

(3) REGULATIONS AND GUIDANCE.—For purposes of this subsection, the Secretary shall prescribe such regulations or other guidance as the Secretary determines necessary or appropriate for determining vehicle classifications using criteria similar to that employed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of the Energy to determine size and class of vehicles.
Given the administration's stance on reducing carbon emissions, one could see a scenario where they interpret the MSRP requirement as the lowest model since it would make the credit available to the most amount of buyers and further the goal of reduced emissions/electrification.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'm not planning on any form of a credit/refund. It's kinda like Social Security, I'm pretty sure it will be gone/offer almost nothing by the time I could get anything out of it.

If it's there, "Woohooo!", but I'm not counting on it and not budgeting around it.
This is the correct way to deal with anything the government says it will "give" you.

Any other expectations are wishful thinking.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Looks like that determination will left up to the DOT as there is currently no additional language on which MSRP to use, so it falls under the purview of the Secretary of Transportation:

Given the administration's stance on reducing carbon emissions, one could see a scenario where they interpret the MSRP requirement as the lowest model as it would make the credit available to the most amount of buyers and further the goal of reduced emissions/electrification.
I really hope this is possible. Otherwise Max Pack becomes EXPENSIVE.

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Either way, it looks like the R1S will completely excluded from the tax credit ?
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad