First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
In your opinion, adding the Off-Road package, I think just adds the front tow hooks, plus front and rear skid plates which it sounds like you are referring to, but nothing additional to the battery protection per Rivian. Is this worth $2,000? In seeing your pictures, I'm thinking for me personally, no.
Iā€™m inclined to agree, but havenā€™t seen any without the package yet to compare. Hoping to see that before finalizing purchase.
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
In your opinion, adding the Off-Road package, I think just adds the front tow hooks, plus front and rear skid plates
The off-road upgrade is more than just skid plates:

" With the Off-Road Upgrade, available to add on to the Adventure Package or Explore Package, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side."

From what I've read it's a sandwich of honeycomb aluminum, steel plate and carbon fiber.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
In your opinion, adding the Off-Road package, I think just adds the front tow hooks, plus front and rear skid plates which it sounds like you are referring to, but nothing additional to the battery protection per Rivian. Is this worth $2,000? In seeing your pictures, I'm thinking for me personally, no.

Edit: After looking more at your picture I'm really torn. If you remove those plates, what is there? It really looks like the Off-Road package makes the underbelly much more aerodynamic. If you remove the plates, do you have large empty pockets that may suck up debris from the rear tires or cause airflow disturbance under the truck at highway speeds? More reasons why Rivian needs to show us with and without....Please Rivian
I'd have to assume (that's all we can do) that they will all have a flat underbody for aerodynamics. It may be that the actual hard plates (be it composite , metal or some combination of the two) would extend further instead of being just molded plastic splash/aero shields.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Rivian R1T R1S Hydraulic Lines Exposed to Damage? Capture.JPG

After watching several of the Press dive reviews off-road, I can't find one angle where those rear lines are hanging down as much as those were in your hub photo. They are visible for sure, but all angles seem to show them "tucked up" a bit more flush. I wonder if they become more taut in the off-road height and more slack when in kneel.
Rivian R1T R1S Hydraulic Lines Exposed to Damage? Capture2.JPG
Vehicle is parked in this second photo. Unknown suspension height. My guess is play factor for different suspension heights.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Yeah, I think they've had some pre-pro trucks demoing with the newer ones so they can show all the colors. I did not see these lines hanging at the First Mile event under the more recently built truck that I checked.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
They are not flexible. They have a metal housing angled towards the front. Very crushable.
Iā€™m not worried about aesthetics on the plate, more about durability. Metal dents, carbon fiber cracks. It just seemed a lot thinner than I expected. Like, it moved when I pushed on it with my hand.
CarbĆ³n fiber stops bullets, Iā€™m not worried about the plates. The lines were preproduction and it was stated in the interview at the rally that the lines were fixed with production parts, now what that looks like remains to be seen I guess. I have confidence if they lasted through the Trans America Trail, probably not something common to damage or they might have seen it there. Fingers crossedā€¦ ;) itā€™s better than CTā€™s ball bearing stopping windowsā€¦

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
CarbĆ³n fiber stops bullets, Iā€™m not worried about the plates.
I'll take a Kevlar vest myself. You can have the carbon fiber one if you prefer (I wouldn't recommend it though).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
CarbĆ³n fiber stops bullets, Iā€™m not worried about the plates. The lines were preproduction and it was stated in the interview at the rally that the lines were fixed with production parts, now what that looks like remains to be seen I guess. I have confidence if they lasted through the Trans America Trail, probably not something common to damage or they might have seen it there. Fingers crossedā€¦ ;) itā€™s better than CTā€™s ball bearing stopping windowsā€¦
Go look at EABC hoses under a Mercedes GLE.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I'll take a Kevlar vest myself. You can have the carbon fiber one if you prefer (I wouldn't recommend it though).
Wondering who would catch that !! ?

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Why , is there magical Pre production lines there too used in the rally? Iā€™m just stating what the interviewer mentioned in the interview at the rally this year that was clearly given to him by Rivian. Just not clear if it addressed this exact fault though, thatā€™s what I was trying to say. On a side not, I saw a report that a Bronco fell off that same Black Bear pass not long after the R1T passed it, I doubt we will see any Mercedes on the TAT or rally anytime soonā€¦ ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
On a side not, I saw a report that a Bronco fell off that same Black Bear pass
Bronco Sport driven by an inexperienced driver who decided to turn around (unsuccessfully) after realizing they were driving the wrong direction through the pass.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Why , is there magical Pre production lines there too used in the rally? Iā€™m just stating what the interviewer mentioned in the interview at the rally this year that was clearly given to him by Rivian. Just not clear if it addressed this exact fault though, thatā€™s what I was trying to say. On a side not, I saw a report that a Bronco fell off that same Black Bear pass not long after the R1T passed it, I doubt we will see any Mercedes on the TAT or rally anytime soonā€¦ ?
The suspension setup is similar on GLE(lines coming in to the bottom of the strut), and theyā€™re similarly low hanging.

the bronco that rolled off the black bear pass was a bronco sport, not the larger 4x4 bronco.

Here is a Mercedes on black bear pass

several have run the rebelle also.

OP
OP
R1T7777

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I certainly wouldnā€™t use carbon fiber for stopping bullets. Kevlar perhaps. Carbon fiber is a bit brittle for that. It also felt a bit thin.

Iā€™d love to see the new hydraulic routing.

OP
OP
R1T7777

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Yeah, I think they've had some pre-pro trucks demoing with the newer ones so they can show all the colors. I did not see these lines hanging at the First Mile event under the more recently built truck that I checked.
Good to know
Sponsored