First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I can't tell if this system only identifies a low tire pressure in any tire and does not tell you which tire it is. This seems to be the trend with newer vehicles which I don't like. Rather have the pressure listed for each tire and for it to tell me which tire is low and the pressure in that tire
1632544182802.png
1632544182802.png
It does say individual tire pressure display, that sounds like what is in my vehicles and they do show each individual tire pressure.
Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I wouldn’t compare the Rivian system to VW or AudI. It’s Tesla that is the comparison.
I disagree. I think VW/Audi the system is nice. It is what I use. It definitely is a valid comparison.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I feel like the biggest disappointment is that the seat adjustment is locked at speed. Why?
I think it's just a simple safety issue. I was adjusting my seat one day while driving and the switch stuck on, moving all the way back to where I could only reach the wheel with my fingertips. Of course when I tried to lean forward quickly the seatbelt locked. Grrr.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
There was a bit about the adaptive cruise having a min 20mph speed but if there is a car detected in front of you then it doesn’t apply. So it should work in traffic.

06E479DB-492C-4060-993E-42A188F62A09.jpeg
You don’t need adaptive cruise control on city streets. Just drive and have fun.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
So, anyone care about lack of some sort of advanced autopilot? It has lane keeping, but only in certain areas. That part was kinda vague in the manual, but it implies geolocking to known freeways.

Also the portable charger instructions doesn't have a way to set the amperage draw, so you can't charge from a 30A dryer plug.

1.5 kW 120V plug was disappointing. The Ford F150 Lightning will be the king of extracting power with its 30A 240V receptacle and a whopping 17.2 kW of power through the charge port.

I'm still looking forward to my R1S though. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much more than this. Hoping, but not expecting.
It’s ok. You don’t need it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That makes me nervous. Of true, it’s says a lot about Rivian and the amount of real expertise they have.
I don’t know, in the 5 years I have had my Tesla some features that came with updates that it did not do previously. This is what I can think of off the top of my head but clearly you can get features and improvements over time.

Allow to set a PIN to lock the glove box
Read and respond to texts on IOS
Improvements to the UI to simplify some processes
Map updates including real time traffic
Allow to remotely enable car to be driven through app
Improvements to autopilot

There are other updates I have seen in the notes that my car does not have the hardware to support but others would benefit from

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Does anyone know if Rivian will have normal cruise control, in addition to the Adaptive Cruise Control? Do they have Speed Sign Recognition? These are available in Ford, but so far I haven't seen this in Rivian's manual, but I'm only about half way through. ?

Has there been any comments in the manual about the sound coming from the vehicle, while moving?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I don’t know, in the 5 years I have had my Tesla some features that came with updates that it did not do previously. This is what I can think of off the top of my head but clearly you can get features and improvements over time.

Allow to set a PIN to lock the glove box
Read and respond to texts on IOS
Improvements to the UI to simplify some processes
Map updates including real time traffic
Allow to remotely enable car to be driven through app
Improvements to autopilot

There are other updates I have seen in the notes that my car does not have the hardware to support but others would benefit from
Some things do improve. True. But it’s the other things that will cause you lots of headaches.

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It does say individual tire pressure display, that sounds like what is in my vehicles and they do show each individual tire pressure.
I sure hope Rivian is using 'Direct TPMS" - there's nothing worse than a generic 'low tire pressure' warning and not knowing which tire is low. This is an adventure vehicle that is going off-road so it's kind of important.

Current Honda and VW's (and others?) use "Indirect TPMS" and there is NOT a sensor in each wheel. The newer systems only alerts a drop in tire pressure not the pressure in each tire.

----
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/the-voodoo-behind-tpms-with-no-tire-pressure-sensors.html
-----
Gen 2 of iTPMS also uses the wheel speed sensor but has much more sophisticated programming which removes many of the limits of the previous system. This generation is capable of detecting as little as a 20% drop in tire pressure across all for wheels. This more sophisticated version of the iTPMS is not capable of monitoring actual (Live) tire pressure, which cannot be achieved without an actual sensor in the wheel.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You don’t need adaptive cruise control on city streets. Just drive and have fun.
Well speak for yourself. I think the point here is that on the highway around the city (or through it in the case of Portland). Highway + stop and go traffic = low speed cruise is convenient. You obviously wouldn’t want to use cruise on residential streets.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I sure hope Rivian is using 'Direct TPMS" - there's nothing worse than a generic 'low tire pressure' warning and not knowing which tire is low. This is an adventure vehicle that is going off-road so it's kind of important.

Current Honda and VW's (and others?) use "Indirect TPMS" and there is NOT a sensor in each wheel. The newer systems only alerts a drop in tire pressure not the pressure in each tire.

----
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/the-voodoo-behind-tpms-with-no-tire-pressure-sensors.html
-----
Gen 2 of iTPMS also uses the wheel speed sensor but has much more sophisticated programming which removes many of the limits of the previous system. This generation is capable of detecting as little as a 20% drop in tire pressure across all for wheels. This more sophisticated version of the iTPMS is not capable of monitoring actual (Live) tire pressure, which cannot be achieved without an actual sensor in the wheel.
I had a Mini Cooper that used the wheel rotation sensors and would present the light when it detected a variance, if a tires ever slipped in sand it would through a false indicator that you had to reset to clear it.

The ones I have now have the light on the dash if it detects a low tire pressure but each of them has a place on the display that you can navigate to for the actual readouts per wheel. When I read this manual this is how I read it would work.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Not exactly. EPA will make you test in whatever mode is “predominant.” Usually this means whatever mode is the key-on default. Depending on how they implement that mode, and how much margin they had to their stated targets, they may or may not have made that mode the key-on default. Usually a range maximization mode will compromise on things like HVAC power and max acceleration, so not necessarily something they’d want to force you to change every cold morning or hot afternoon!
A blend of modes was used for the EPA estimate

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Some things do improve. True. But it’s the other things that will cause you lots of headaches.
I’ve really only had two issues with all of the updates I have had.

1) update caused an issue with the ac causing it to stop working, a quick call to CS (when you actually could reach a person) and they pushed another update that fixed it

2) This is not a bug and mostly caused by people that cannot be responsible. When I first got the car you could go 15 or 20 minutes without touching the steering wheel on autopilot. Over time they had to keep dropping that time until now I think it is seconds, they also got rid of the audible warning, now you have to see the white border on the dash. Makes it less friendly so I do not use it much anymore.
Sponsored