Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Hardwired only (likely to meet NEC requirements)

As a plug-in, it would not meet the requirement prohibiting adjustable amperages, and is not set up for tool free removal (also required).

They did comply with the requirement for restricted access to the amperage settings (dip switches in this case).
Per your observation that the Rivian charger is hardwire only do you have any recommendations for third party wall chargers for the Rivian that would be wall plug compatible?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am going with the higher capacity wire. No need to stress the wiring.
Rivianā€™s installation guide says only up to 6AWG wire is accepted so Iā€™m willing to bet 4AWG either wonā€™t fit or wonā€™t be able to be torqued properly.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Per your observation that the Rivian charger is hardwire only do you have any recommendations for third party wall chargers for the Rivian that would be wall plug compatible?
Rivian chose to put out a unit that would be installed according to code (probably since they are pitching/selling that service).

Many high end "smart" EVSEs are shipped in a configuration that violates code if installed according to the instructions. If you are looking for plug equipped unit that meets code, it cannot have adjustable amperage and must have a tool-free mount. Clipper Creek sells the mount for their HCS units separately:
https://store.clippercreek.com/mounting-solutions/travel-bracket

Enel X JuiceBox products also should comply (they are non adjustable and come with the mounting bracket).

I actually think hardwiring is a much better way to go anyway. The Rivian comes with a portable EVSE that can do 240, so you very likely won't need to unplug your wall unit and take it with you. Hardwiring allows you to tap the full 48A the Rivian can use to charge.

There are also some rather obscure requirements regarding EVs that request ventilation during charging (lead acid batteries). They should refuse to charge unless tied in to a mechanical ventilation system sized according the the formulas still in the NEC. Many EVSEs would fail this requirement but the chances of someone bringing by an original 1st gen EV1 (or similar) to charge at your house are pretty slim.

I have an older Leviton 32A unit on a 6-50 (40A circuit), and a ChargePoint Flex hardwired on a 60A circuit.

As a note - and I am by no means recommending it - a handy person could install a 6-50 (or 14-50) appliance pigtail onto the Rivian unit and make sure to set the EVSE for the amperage appropriate for the circuit. It would not meet code, but probably 90%+ of all plug-in EVSE installs do not.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am going with the higher capacity wire. No need to stress the wiring.
I had some NM-B 6/3 left over after installing a hot tub. So I used what I had left to add a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. So my options become:

- Stick with my 14-50 outlet and get 7.6 kw charging or ~16 miles/hour per Rivian
- Install the Rivian charger with the same wiring and operate at 9.6 kw for probably 20-21 miles/hour
- Install the Rivian charger and re-install with different wiring/60 amp circuit to get the full 11.5 km charging and up to 25 miles/hour per Rivian

Most likely 16 miles/hour will be ok for most of my charging, can always upgrade later. Maybe after they release a V2H system.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

The portable one that comes with the vehicle will be plug and cord. The wall charger will be hardwire.
I will just buy a third party charger that connects to a Nema14-50 outlet since that is what I have installed. Should be a choice not a requirement for hardwire in my opinion.

Sponsored

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
WiFi is 2.4ghz. I really don't need another 2.4 ghz device in my house, ugh. I'll run Ethernet to it, it will be near a switch thank goodness.

Rivian R1T R1S Official Rivian Wall Charger installation guide Screenshot_20210918-092012

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Hardwire would be nice but have a 6/50 in my garage so will likely just get a charger that plugs into a 6/50 and just charge at 40 amps. In my area 240 outlet will likely add more home value then a hardwire EV charger and this isnā€™t our forever home

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

How easy would it be to replace a Tesla Wall Charger (hardwired) with one of these guys? For someone who typically doesn't mess with electricity.
If you don't like to mess with electricity (neither do I) then don't do it. It's simple but why risk it. Get an electrician for peace of mind.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I will just buy a third party charger that connects to a Nema14-50 outlet since that is what I have installed. Should be a choice not a requirement for hardwire in my opinion.
The charger included with the truck will plug into your existing outlet and give you 7.6 kw charging per Rivian. A 3rd party charger wonā€™t give you any better I donā€™t think.

Sponsored

Ssaehrig

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Durango SRT, 2013 GMC Acadia
Occupation
IT Executive
I am wondering if the purchase and install will be separate transaction. CT has a rebate up to 1000 for residential charger installation.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I am wondering if the purchase and install will be separate transaction. CT has a rebate up to 1000 for residential charger installation.
The purchase Will likely be in the same transaction, but the Qmerit installation will be individually quoted and transacted. At least from what Iā€™ve gathered.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

On your Federal taxes you should also be eligible for the "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (Form 8911)" for a 30% credit off charger and installation costs (up to $1000) combined. We used that for our Tesla charger and install.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
The charger included with the truck will plug into your existing outlet and give you 7.6 kw charging per Rivian. A 3rd party charger wonā€™t give you any better I donā€™t think.
9.6kw for third party chargers that plug into a properly wired 50 amp 240 volt outlet.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I'm grateful that Rivian has designated the wall in the installation instructions, I might have tried to float the charger in the air without the specific nomenclature to define a surface for attachment. I am admittedly a little slow.
Sponsored