Sponsored

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Hello all,

Long time lurker here posting for the first time. Like all of you, I've been tracking Rivian pretty close over the last couple of years and the obsession has only grown. I tend to parse through new content pretty closely and came across a flicker of estimated range on the instrument cluster in the latest Rivian story about the interior:

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Steering wheel and instrument cluster

It might be hard to see, so here's a zoomed in shot (bottom right):

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Range on instrument cluser

That's 303 miles. This is a screenshot taken from the video that plays on loop at the top of the story.

Shortly after in that video is a shot of the center display and the vehicle location:

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Locatio

They're on Basin Junction road, which leads to Big Bend National Park in Texas. I've done a lot of sleuthing to confirm that the scenery/terrian visible throughout the looped video is visible from that road, so I'm pretty confident they are where the map displays. With confirmation of the approximate location of the vehicle at the time the video was taken with 303 miles of range left, we can start to speculate on the amount of range available at full charge.

I'm certain that this detour to Big Bend took place on the recent Texas-to-California trip in late April (which is when Bajadahl spotted them in Austin) because of hints in the webpage source code. Absent further evidence, I'm making the assumption that they departed Austin on I-10 heading west and probably stopped at Fort Stockton to stay the night for an early morning departure. Given their proclivity to charge at Electrify America chargers, I'd bet that they charged to full at the EA charger in Fort Stockton in the morning before heading out south.

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Plugshare Stockto

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Google - Stockton to Basi

Departing between 9:00 am and 9:30 am and after a drive of roughly 2 hours and 129 miles, they arrive on Basin Junction road with 303 miles left around 11:24 AM (displayed above on the instrument cluster for range and the center display for time). This would give the vehicle they are driving a total range of roughly 432 miles, which is a reasonable range estimate for the Max pack. I assume that they would be driving a vehicle with the Max pack since they were on a pretty long road trip.

There are two other places they could have feasibly charged on the way from I-10 to Big Bend, however: Marathon Motel & RV Park and Stillwell Ranch Store & RV Park. Both are NEMA 14-50 plugs and would likely require an overnight stay to hit the full charge that would be required to have the 303 mile range at Basin Junction road visible on the instrument cluster. Only Marathon Motel & RV Park has lodging, so that is the next likeliest location.

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Plugshare Maratho

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Google Marathon to Basi

Provided they stayed overnight and departed in the morning from the Motel with a full charge, that would give the vehicle they are driving a total range of roughly ~375 miles. I would consider that a high range for the Large Pack and low range for the Max Pack, making this charging scenario unlikely in my opinion.

The last possibility is Stillwell Ranch Store & RV Park:

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Plugshare Stillwell

Rivian R1T R1S Range visible in latest Rivian Story Google Stillwell to Basi

Charging to full here would likely require camping in a tent overnight, which I wouldn't put it past them to do. Departing in the morning with a full charge would give them roughly 340 miles of range, which I would consider a generous estimate for the mid-range Large Pack but not unreasonable. Again, however, I think it's unlikely that they would be using the Large Pack because the trip they were on was a long one and range is king in these scenarios. I consider this scenario unlikely for that reason.

---

I admit there are a number of assumptions made in this post, but I also think there may be something here. If anything, it's fun to speculate while we wait for official range numbers!

Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited:

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Thanks for the sleuthing. That WAS a lot of effort on your part, and a lot of fun for us to speculate about.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think they confirmed the Austin truck did have the Max pack, if I remember correctly.

@bajadahl @Jsidell , can either of you confirm?

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
Bravo, I thoroughly enjoyed the investigative sleuthing. It was enough to drag me out as a fellow long-time lurker.

The only wrench I'd throw into the mix is: Assuming they were driving at highway speeds from their last charge, the actual range would be a fair bit less than an EPA-rated range. So, if the Max Pack has 400+ miles of range, it's very likely they would use 100+ "miles" of range and end up at 303, even if they only traveled a distance of 75 miles, depending on the efficiency

Last edited:

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I think they confirmed the Austin truck did have the Max pack, if I remember correctly.

@bajadahl @Jsidell , can either of you confirm?
They told me it was indeed a Max Pack. I also remember them spending some time in Terlingua charging (but I don't remember where I saw that maybe a tweet) Not sure how that plays into your analysis.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The difficulty here is that we don't know (I certainly don't) whether that displayed range is a proxy for battery charge level (in which case it is SoC/rated_consumption) or a range estimate based on some actual consumption and the SoC. In the Tesla it is the former that is displayed next to the battery symbol and in the latter a number displayed on the main screen when in energy monitoring mode. Estimates based on actual consumption can use the instantaneous consumption or an average over the last 5, 15 or 30 miles. I have no idea what Rivan may be doing here.

I think if they say the Max is going to have 400 miles rated range we can be pretty sure it is going to have 400 miles rated range or very close to it.

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Hello all,

Long time lurker here posting for the first time. Like all of you, I've been tracking Rivian pretty close over the last couple of years and the obsession has only grown. I tend to parse through new content pretty closely and came across a flicker of estimated range on the instrument cluster in the latest Rivian story about the interior:

Steering wheel and instrument cluster.png

Range on instrument cluser.png

That's 303 miles. This is a screenshot taken from the video that plays on loop at the top of the story.

Shortly after in that video is a shot of the center display and the vehicle location:

Location.png

They're on Basin Junction road, which leads to Big Bend National Park in Texas. I've done a lot of sleuthing to confirm that the scenery/terrian visible throughout the looped video is visible from that road, so I'm pretty confident they are where the map displays. With confirmation of the approximate location of the vehicle at the time the video was taken with 303 miles of range left, we can start to speculate on the amount of range available at full charge.

I'm certain that this detour to Big Bend took place on the recent Texas-to-California trip in late April (which is when Bajadahl spotted them in Austin) because of hints in the webpage source code. Absent further evidence, I'm making the assumption that they departed Austin on I-10 heading west and probably stopped at Fort Stockton to stay the night for an early morning departure. Given their proclivity to charge at Electrify America chargers, I'd bet that they charged to full at the EA charger in Fort Stockton in the morning before heading out south.

Plugshare Stockton.png

Google - Stockton to Basin.png

Departing between 9:00 am and 9:30 am and after a drive of roughly 2 hours and 129 miles, they arrive on Basin Junction road with 303 miles left around 11:24 AM (displayed above on the instrument cluster for range and the center display for time). This would give the vehicle they are driving a total range of roughly 432 miles, which is a reasonable range estimate for the Max pack. I assume that they would be driving a vehicle with the Max pack since they were on a pretty long road trip.

There are two other places they could have feasibly charged on the way from I-10 to Big Bend, however: Marathon Motel & RV Park and Stillwell Ranch Store & RV Park. Both are NEMA 14-50 plugs and would likely require an overnight stay to hit the full charge that would be required to have the 303 mile range at Basin Junction road visible on the instrument cluster. Only Marathon Motel & RV Park has lodging, so that is the next likeliest location.

Plugshare Marathon.png

Google Marathon to Basin.png

Provided they stayed overnight and departed in the morning from the Motel with a full charge, that would give the vehicle they are driving a total range of roughly ~375 miles. I would consider that a high range for the Large Pack and low range for the Max Pack, making this charging scenario unlikely in my opinion.

Plugshare Stillwell.png

Google Stillwell to Basin.png

Charging to full here would likely require camping in a tent overnight, which I wouldn't put it past them to do. Departing in the morning with a full charge would give them roughly 340 miles of range, which I would consider a generous estimate for the mid-range Large Pack but not unreasonable. Again, however, I think it's unlikely that they would be using the Large Pack because the trip they were on was a long one and range is king in these scenarios. I consider this scenario unlikely for that reason.

---

I admit there are a number of assumptions made in this post, but I also think there may be something here. If anything, it's fun to speculate while we wait for official range numbers!

Enjoy!
Impressive sleuth-age :) … can’t wait to see if the theory pans out. ?

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Hello all,

Location.png

Plugshare Stockton.png

Plugshare Marathon.png

Plugshare Stillwell.png

---

Enjoy!
You truly are "thatoneguy" who spent time and gave us some positivity. Kudos

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
In this range estimate, assuming the Max Pack giving a range of about 430 miles (wish we knew which wheels.) 430 miles divided by 180 kWh = 2.39 miles per kWh. Now, multiplying 2.39 x 135 kWh (large pack) = 322 miles (may actually be slightly more as the large pack weighs less.) If this is true, I can live with the large pack! If the Max Pack were available at Launch, it is possible that many could be persuaded to go with it despite the extra $10k. But, since it is NOT offered, a lot of will not be wiling to wait and get in the back of the line for a Max Pack. This will be something to discuss further with a Guide once the true EPA numbers are announced sometime before the first deliveries the last week of July...just guessing and trying not to over expect.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
In this range estimate, assuming the Max Pack giving a range of about 430 miles (wish we knew which wheels.) 430 miles divided by 180 kWh = 2.39 miles per kWh. Now, multiplying 2.39 x 135 kWh (large pack) = 322 miles (may actually be slightly more as the large pack weighs less.) If this is true, I can live with the large pack! If the Max Pack were available at Launch, it is possible that many could be persuaded to go with it despite the extra $10k. But, since it is NOT offered, a lot of will not be wiling to wait and get in the back of the line for a Max Pack. This will be something to discuss further with a Guide once the true EPA numbers are announced sometime before the first deliveries the last week of July...just guessing and trying not to over expect.
I believe they are not doing the 180 and 135 battery packs anymore as they mentioned somewhere they are not going to need that size to achieve the 300 and 400 range. I could be wrong too

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I believe they are not doing the 180 and 135 battery packs anymore as they mentioned somewhere they are not going to need that size to achieve the 300 and 400 range. I could be wrong too
I thought the skateboards were modular and used 15kWh modules? So unless the mileage estimates were sufficiently high that they could remove an entire 15kWh module, then I doubt they'll change the pack size.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Hello all,

Location.png

Plugshare Stockton.png

Plugshare Marathon.png

Plugshare Stillwell.png

---

Enjoy!
Epic detective work!

barsaec

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, RAM EcoDiesel, Range Rover Classic
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hello all,

Location.png

Plugshare Stockton.png

Plugshare Marathon.png

Plugshare Stillwell.png

---

Enjoy!
Fantastic! Love West Texas. We just came back from Devils River State Natural Area north of Del Rio. The entire time, I was wondering how to do the trip in a Rivian as the road to the park is dirt road of 23 miles at a maximum of 25mph. Camping was great with no services at the campsites. Lots of slow rough road driving with no charging opportunities.
Sponsored