Real Rivian Photos & Videos

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Never had an ICE car with a fuel door that pops open electronically?

Because they're everywhere, and they don't break and stop people from fueling up.

And when they're working fine (99.99999% of the time) they're just lovely luxury.

/me shrugs.
The newest vehicle I own is 2006..,lol…so no. Guess I’ll be beaming into the future with the R1T.
Sponsored

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I know we are all suppose to tone down the skepticism but would someone explain to me why literally 10 days before what was a Rivian announced hard launch date (June 30 2021)not more than 2 months ago we still don't have a official video similar to what has been forced offline ?
You just witnessed the true excitement it would unlock. I personally struggle coming to any conclusions that are constructive.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
While I love the screenshots of the UI, I really just find it sad that we don't have any details of what the screen can do or what apps can run on it, and were two months out from deliveries...
I would accept a "this is beta and things are subject to change" video.

I find it more alarming that we don't even have a list of basic features that Rivian will commit to provide via infotainment. For example, we've see evidence of Spotify support, which probably makes someone happy... But I hate Spotify and I want to use Apple Music. Rivian refuses to say whether they will or will not support my preference for music service. Why? Even if the software isn't ready, yet, shouldn't they at least know what features they're planning for? Even if it was a disappointing answer, such as "we have no plans to support Apple Music at this time" they could give that information.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Looks like the Amazon Van is being prepped. Several takeaways

-Robotics for painting/spraying coatings and or paint seem super Advanced (never saw a configuration like the one pictured below)
-Dip tanks for E-Coating (someone please correct me if I am wrong) are huge
-I assume this is production or pre-production line in terms of processes as typically when you start seeing dip tanks/coatings it means that as such but again I have limited manufacturing/assembly experience.

Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Looks like the Amazon Van is being prepped. Several takeaways

-Robotics for painting/spraying coatings and or paint seem super Advanced (never saw a configuration like the one pictured below)
-Dip tanks for E-Coating (someone please correct me if I am wrong) are huge
-I assume this is production or pre-production line in terms of processes as typically when you start seeing dip tanks/coatings it means that as such but again I have limited manufacturing/assembly experience.

Based on the corrosion warranty, I had assumed this was coming. Nice to see it going. Guessing by the reflections of other people recording as well (maybe even something on the other side of the dip tank), it was probably the first full run of the paint shop.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Genuine curiosity. What ICE had a gas cover that opens and closes itself?
No clue, I've never seen one. I just said:
Never had an ICE car with a fuel door that pops open electronically?
My 2013 Volvo launched its generation in 2007 with that feature, so I'm assuming new Volvos had it from that point, for example.

But I've seen in other cars since and quick research suggests its very common in 2020.

My point being: There are plenty of fuel doors out there with no direct mechanical way of opening it (either with a mechanical release inside the car or a keyway/handle on the door itself) and that rely on electronic actuators to open.

And AFAIK there hasn't been an uptick in people stranded at gas stations who can't fuel up.

Are Tesla/Rivian style charging doors more complicated than that? Sure.
But of all the things that have ever gone wrong on my Tesla the charging door has always worked perfectly. ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
No clue, I've never seen one. I just said:

My 2013 Volvo launched its generation in 2007 with that feature, so I'm assuming new Volvos had it from that point, for example.

But I've seen in other cars since and quick research suggests its very common in 2020.

My point being: There are plenty of fuel doors out there with no direct mechanical way of opening it (either with a mechanical release inside the car or a keyway/handle on the door itself) and that rely on electronic actuators to open.

And AFAIK there hasn't been an uptick in people stranded at gas stations who can't fuel up.

Are Tesla/Rivian style charging doors more complicated than that? Sure.
But of all the things that have ever gone wrong on my Tesla the charging door has always worked perfectly. ?
So my 2018 Volvo gas cover only (essentially) unlocks electronically. But that's different than what Tesla has done with their charge port. I still have to go back and manually open/close it. I'm also not over-riding a mechanical switch when I close it. And the only time it's open is the 5 minutes it's open while I'm at the gas station watching it. I think the general concern is that EV charge ports or open longer, and frequently unattended. I know I'm fairly concerned about potentially snapping the charge cover off my XC60's charge port when it's in my garage. To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't snagged mine or my spouse's backpack or something as we squeeze by it.

The other concern is that if it's designed like Tesla's is that if the mechanical components break, or the door is snapped off, it's likely more expensive to fix that just a spring loaded mechanism. When I test drove a tesla, I manually closed the charge port in front of the dealer because I had forgotten that they're fully automatic. It felt like I had nearly broken it. I am sure that's not the case, but I can't imagine that repeated manual closures are the best for that gear system.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Both of my cars have electronic popper mechanisms for the gas door. It only pops it open an inch, however; you must still pull the door open the rest of the way.

I've never seen an ICE vehicle where the door fully opens, electronically. Nor one that closes automatically.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Both of my cars have electronic popper mechanisms for the gas door. It only pops it open an inch, however; you must still pull the door open the rest of the way.

I've never seen an ICE vehicle where the door fully opens, electronically. Nor one that closes automatically.
Exactly!

This is like comparing a remote trunk release which pops the trunk and relies on springs to open any extant with no ability to self close to a power trunk lid which is driven fully open (or to a preset) and also fully closed,
Sponsored