First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Got my R1S in Sept 22. Its been a wonderful ride for the most part. Delivery at the El Segundo center was ok, I got the first one in the LA area, so the delivery guys were figuring it out along with me.

1. Skip CONSERVE MODE: As I just spent $1200 on two new front tires. Worrying about range, I drove mainly in conserve mode. One other observation, at stop lights accelerating from conserve mode is a trip. So much power and torque that the two front wheels and the car really doesn't know what to do.

2. Updates are good and bad. Good: they are coming out frequently and seem to address a lot of good things. Never all of them, but what fun would that be if Rivian software actually gave us what we are all clamoring for. BAD: Loss of range. Even on a full battery in conserve mode, I cannot get more than 300 miles of range at 100% charge in conserve mode. That's a bummer. At one time, a few updates ago, I was routinely hitting 340-350 miles. I get it about range and estimates, but it still sucks to get one set of numbers and now not even getting anything close to that. In reality I charge at home and I have a full solar set up so no big deal.

3. Make sure you leave the service center with everything working. A duh moment? Not really, there's so much tech that you'd have to spend hours there. I found out that my four roof liner tweeters don't work (LE with Meridien set up). Its going back on 6/14 to get addressed and hopefully fixed.

4. Air hose set up. I got a dummy one. Never worked, never has. Found out the hard way, tried to connect to it with the kit and connector hose would not engage. Its hopefully being replaced at service center as well.

5. Connector hose is too short. If you ever need to put air into your front tires, not going to happen. Stupid design. Guess I have to hope only my rear tires need air. Does anyone know how to address that and get a hose that can actually extend to the front tires??

6. El segundo service center people are super cool. Tech's and front desk people. El Segundo is a pain in the ass to get to.

7. Rivian does not really have loaners per se. That said, getting $$$$$ in Uber credits is nice. But no Uber driver wants to come up to my house to pick me up. Great from service center but shitty in Malibu. ( I'm in north Malibu by county line far from main Malibu).

8. In sum, I've loved my vehicle. Dread going to service. Service people at El Segundo are great. Not giving out loaners is a bummer. Uber credits are great and they are very generous with them. Make sure you spend ALL of the time YOU need to become familiar with your vehicle before you leave the service center. And last but not least, CONSERVE mode is a tire killer. $500 a pop is not fun after 10,000 miles.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
In my view, I can't see how making an R1 2WD is good for the motors, let alone the tyres. Hauling a 4t vehicle through 1 axle makes no sense to me. Don't be tight fisted, charging is cheaper than new tyres or something worse. Keep it in 4WD.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
#5 - Connector Hose too short? Yeah, that's dumb. It appears to have standard air fittings so you can buy an extension at any car parts store.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
5. Connector hose is too short. If you ever need to put air into your front tires, not going to happen. Stupid design. Guess I have to hope only my rear tires need air. Does anyone know how to address that and get a hose that can actually extend to the front tires??

[/QUOTE]
Did you ask service about this? The connector hose that came with mine reaches all four tires.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Did you ask service about this? The connector hose that came with mine reaches all four tires.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, At the service center, we opened up the hatch and pulled out the cable. It was brand new. How do you get yours to reach the front right tire from the back left nozzle?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In my view, I can't see how making an R1 2WD is good for the motors, let alone the tyres. Hauling a 4t vehicle through 1 axle makes no sense to me. Don't be tight fisted, charging is cheaper than new tyres or something worse. Keep it in 4WD.
I think conserve mode is great if used properly. I only use it on longer highway stretches, once on the highway I put it in conserve, right before I get off I put it back in all purpose. Works great for that use case and helps bridge the gaps with some breathing room between chargers on a trip.

I would never use it for normal driving around.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think conserve mode is great if used properly. I only use it on longer highway stretches, once on the highway I put it in conserve, right before I get off I put it back in all purpose. Works great for that use case and helps bridge the gaps with some breathing room between chargers on a trip.

I would never use it for normal driving around.
This is the way. I do exactly the same. I wait till down near slowest speed I will be reducing to, and then re-engage rear motors. Lowest stress possible I figure.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Yes, At the service center, we opened up the hatch and pulled out the cable. It was brand new. How do you get yours to reach the front right tire from the back left nozzle?
[/QUOTE]

Can you not take it through the interior and out the passenger's side front door? I imagine that would save a few feet of distance trying to wrap it around the full exterior distance

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can you not take it through the interior and out the passenger's side front door? I imagine that would save a few feet of distance trying to wrap it around the full exterior distance
That’s going to suck with the OC interior if that’s the way to do it.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

My hose reached right front wheel easily going out of back hatch and down side to wheel.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I would say it's A way to do it, not THE way, and I feel like you could keep the hose off most leather surfaces if you're a little careful. I feel like the included hose should reach externally, but I guess my point is - if you're out and have no extension or other option and NEED air to that tire - this will probably get you there. A little wipedown of a seat or two in the aftermath isn't a huge cost to pay

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I would say it's A way to do it, not THE way, and I feel like you could keep the hose off most leather surfaces if you're a little careful. I feel like the included hose should reach externally, but I guess my point is - if you're out and have no extension or other option and NEED air to that tire - this will probably get you there. A little wipedown of a seat or two in the aftermath isn't a huge cost to pay
Not disagreeing with you and actually running the hose through the interior of the vehicle was my first thought. But yeah, I’d rather run it outside.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
8. In sum, I've loved my vehicle. Dread going to service. Service people at El Segundo are great. Not giving out loaners is a bummer. Uber credits are great and they are very generous with them. Make sure you spend ALL of the time YOU need to become familiar with your vehicle before you leave the service center. And last but not least, CONSERVE mode is a tire killer. $500 a pop is not fun after 10,000 miles.
So there are closer service centers coming but no firm dates yet. I've heard Burbank is hopefully by the end of the year but who knows. I've also heard of one being rumored for Oxnard, but again, no date given.

I share your pain driving to El Segundo though.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Anyone else just run out to their R1S to test the length of their air hose? I'm good, but, man, putting the hose away was like trying to jam a baby back into the uterus.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Anyone else just run out to their R1S to test the length of their air hose? I'm good, but, man, putting the hose away was like trying to jam a baby back into the uterus.
[/QUO

That's quite the comparison....
Sponsored