Sponsored

It's May....

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I agree with you.

However, I'd like to point out there are examples of this asinine behavior in the automotive industry. For example, Jeep took deposits from people for a LAUNCH EDITION GLADIATOR. However, they delayed deliveries of the LE Gladiator by several months, so people who had already paid money and were arguably the most enthusiastic supporters got burned and more casual customers were able to walk onto Jeep dealer lots and buy Gladiators ad-hoc for several months before Jeep allocated production capacity for LE deliveries.

Hoovie from YouTube had a LE reservation and he has griped about that a few times.
Yeah that's pretty bad... Hopefully Rivian does better.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It's incredibly frustrating. I just took a glance at the Hummer EV page to see what kind of information they're sharing on the truck which comes out significantly later than the Rivian is supposed to. My recommendation, don't make the same mistake. It'll make you curse out loud.

I learned 10x more details on the Hummer in a 2 minute review of the website than I have in 2 years following Rivian as close as is humanly possible.
-Detailed info and videos/pics of all the cool features? Check
-Detailed multiple views of paint and interior options? Check
-Close-up view of things like infotainment, underbody protection, back-seat folding, etc? Check
-How all the cameras are used and associated features? Check
-Detailed photos of almost every part of the interior and exterior? Check

UGH.
I looked at the site and couldn't find any definitive information. Much of what you are seeing is full of he usual disclaimers like:
"Available features and colors will be announced closer to start of GMC HUMMER EV production. Initial availability Fall 2021. Limitations apply. At participating dealers. Performance targets, estimates and capability specifications based on computer-aided analysis and simulation using virtual engineering tools. Estimates may vary depending on model and trim. Actual production model and results may vary."
" Some camera views require available accessory camera and installation."
" Performance targets, estimates and capability specifications based on computer-aided analysis and simulation using virtual engineering tools. Estimates may vary depending on model and trim. Actual production model and results may vary. "
" Vehicle production schedule is dependent upon numerous variables, including trim and option selections. Your selected GMC HUMMER EV dealer will contact you to provide delivery detail timing once your vehicle is ready to be built. Specific details regarding vehicle production timelines are not currently available at this time. "

Like the original Rivian concepts, what you see in those photos could change on the actual production units. It's almost guaranteed that at least some of it will.

"GM Estimate" is listed after nearly every stat. MSRP is estimated. No prices on any of the possibly optional features like the fancy tailgate, infinity roof, etc. No information on actual charging speeds, actual/usable battery capacity, etc. We don't know what kind of key fob they will have and if it is submersible. How many 110V outlets with what capacity on how many circuits. Will the windshield be heated

I just don't see 10x the actual information. Since they are an established company, some things like the infotainment are already in existence and will be the same as other offerings. Rivian is starting from a clean slate.

Different offerings from different companies with different philosophies. Rivian is committed to building a charging network to make their vehicles more useful for their targeted purposes - GM is relying solely on 3rd party charging networks (Rivian will have access to all of those as well).

Maybe it's me, but I just don't see any more hard information on the Hummer vs the Rivians. At this point, it appears they will be offering some features that Rivian won't. Rivian will offer things the Hummer won't.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Maybe it's me, but I just don't see any more hard information on the Hummer vs the Rivians.
Well, I couldn't disagree more, and I gave a short list of examples in my original post. Detailed pics and videos being the most obvious difference.

Yes, they have disclaimers. It's a major corporation with a one of the worlds largest team of lawyers. Rivian has disclaimers on most of their information as well. That's the world we live in, but it's missing the point. But I know you and I have disagreed every time I bring up the lack of info from Rivian, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Launch a Rivian App Via Playstore/Apple App Store (embedded via website) where the app will just embed the actual website, its trivial but still something to do where the main work is in the website not the app it self.
I sincerely hope Rivian isn't going to do that. I absolutely hate when "apps" are just wrappers around a website. The experience always combines the worst characteristics of both methods.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I sincerely hope Rivian isn't going to do that. I absolutely hate when "apps" are just wrappers around a website. The experience always combines the worst characteristics of both methods.
Doesnt telsa do that? I have no idea as I don't have a Tesla or access to one.

MichaelAnderson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover
Occupation
Retired
It is officially May, with deliveries planned to start in a month why do I still feel like we are in the dark? At this point, I have become more excited waiting to meet my Guide than I am about getting my truck. I woke up today thinking "welp it's May, now how long is it going to take to be introduced to my guide?" I am a very early preorder holder going back to the LA auto show back in 2018 and I am still afraid I may not be taking delivery until the end of summer. The angst is rising the closer we get and I'm looking forward to getting a delivery date. I may have to through a little party for the neighborhood...

Curious about your thoughts
Spec
-El Cap
-Black mountain
-dark 20s'
-300-mile pack
I am in Southern California and see them testing around here all the time, the corporate office in Irvine is not too far from my home. Hoping that may play a factor in earlier delivery.

What spec and where do you think is going to be delivered first?

I'm holding my breath awaiting the first person to hear from their Guide!!

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Your dreaming if you think Tesla will produce more CTs than Rivian will produce R1Ts. My bet is that Rivian will produce more Amazon vans than Tesla will CTs this year. CTs will most likely be zero, since they need mass quantities of 4680s and supplies of 4680s will be very limited in 2021.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Doesnt telsa do that? I have no idea as I don't have a Tesla or access to one.
The Tesla App does not seem to be a wrapper for a Website. Historically if that was the case there is usually a web site that mimics the functionality but you only have the features in the app itself.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The Tesla App does not seem to be a wrapper for a Website. Historically if that was the case there is usually a web site that mimics the functionality but you only have the features in the app itself.

Ah fair enough, Yea I imagine the same, none the less we need both iterations to get going so lets see when it will be up and running haha.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
If you are waiting by the phone, I was informed that guides won't start calling until mid May. :(
I chatted with Rivian and asked about how the calls will happen. I was told that you will get an email from your guide to schedule a phone call. This makes way more sense as you will want to be prepared with all your questions and not just get a phone call at an inopportune time.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I can guarantee you that Rivian will be producing no CTs this year... or ever. ;)
Sponsored