Sponsored

Off Roading Question:

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
For starters, I do NOT have off road experience.

I have seen all the cool footage of the R1T off roading. I haven't seen much if any of the R1S going off road. Based on my *basic* understanding of approach/departure and break over, the R1S should be more capable off road than the R1T.

Is that assumption correct?
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

I have seen all the cool footage of the R1T off roading. I haven't seen much if any of the R1S going off road. Based on my *basic* understanding of approach/departure and break over, the R1S should be more capable off road than the R1T.

Yes, but not by a huge margin. The shorter wheelbase on the R1S will give it an advantage as well.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Depends on what type of off-roading you do. People seem to always think there is only “rock crawling”, but there are many terrain styles. Most of my off-roading has been desert running where a longer wheelbase is much preferred.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Depends on what type of off-roading you do. People seem to always think there is only “rock crawling”, but there are many terrain styles. Most of my off-roading has been desert running where a longer wheelbase is much preferred.
That’s interesting.... you’re right about most folks thinking rock crawling or attempting to traverse steps where wheelbase matters. I hadn’t thought of desert running even though I am looking forward to doing some of that in and around Death Valley. Can you expand on what the benefits are of having a longer wheel base for desert running? My only thoughts are maybe higher speed stability... but not sure.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That’s interesting.... you’re right about most folks thinking rock crawling or attempting to traverse steps where wheelbase matters. I hadn’t thought of desert running even though I am looking forward to doing some of that in and around Death Valley. Can you expand on what the benefits are of having a longer wheel base for desert running? My only thoughts are maybe higher speed stability... but not sure.
Yep, must safer handling and more stable at speed. Also a big plus for towing, which I also do.

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would love to see some video of the R1S doing some of the easier runs out in Moab, just for the fun of it. There’s plenty of trail running to be had out there too, but tackling some of the easier obstacles would be pretty sweet. Lots of stuff out there looks like it should be easy, but is basically impossible without locked differentials. It would be fun to watch the differential-less Rivian tackle it.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I would think one disadvantage to the R1S would be a likely higher center of gravity. Coupled with the sorter wheelbase, I have to believe that this combination would make it less stable cornering at speed (especially on loose and/or rough stuff) and on side hills while crawling.

I'm not an engineer and don't play one on TV, but the additional mass above the beltline on the back of this shorter wheelbase reinforces this, in my mind.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
I would love to see some video of the R1S doing some of the easier runs out in Moab, just for the fun of it. There’s plenty of trail running to be had out there too, but tackling some of the easier obstacles would be pretty sweet. Lots of stuff out there looks like it should be easy, but is basically impossible without locked differentials. It would be fun to watch the differential-less Rivian tackle it.
I rented a Rubicon in Moab, and the rental folks advised you really don't need lockers for much in Moab since the rocks have so much grip. Regardless, the quad motor setup s/b able to replicate and even outperform lockers since each wheel speed/torque/direction can be individually controlled.

The longer wheelbase of the R1T s/b better for high-speed running, as longer wheelbases smooth out whoops, bumps, etc., while the R1S will be better for rock crawling and tighter trails.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I rented a Rubicon in Moab, and the rental folks advised you really don't need lockers for much in Moab since the rocks have so much grip.
it’s true, but there are obstacles that get you off all 4 wheels and it would be cool ?

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe that the Rivians' bigger shortfall in off-roading will be lack of articulation, not traction.
20” rims with 34” tires and limited ability to go bigger on the tires or smaller on the rim aren’t going to be optimal either.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
20” rims with 34” tires and limited ability to go bigger on the tires or smaller on the rim aren’t going to be optimal either.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask. Besides ground clearance, is there another reason to have larger tires?

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask. Besides ground clearance, is there another reason to have larger tires?
Not an offroader, but I believe it's to avoid sinking deeply into sandy terrain, similar to wearing snow shoes in deep snow (Also a reason to air down your tires).

I think it also makes it easier to rock crawl over larger rocks.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, for many offroad situations, you want to air down the tires to get more grip. The higher the sidewall of the tire, the more you can air it down. You can get more sidewall by either having smaller rims or bigger diameter tires.
Sponsored