First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
‘The key fob is in the form of a carabiner! I was really excited to see that! It's worth noting that it's not engineered to climb with and has a load limit of a typical key ring. It's about 3.3 inches long, 1.6 inches wide, and 0.6 inches thick and weighs 50g.”

This is from Kyle CS chat

Also, functions:
Lock/Unlock
Frunk open/close
Tailgate open only(manually close)
Sponsored

Last edited:

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
Can the fob be separated from the carabiner for a smaller form factor?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

‘The key fob is in the form of a carabiner! I was really excited to see that! It's worth noting that it's not engineered to climb with and has a load limit of a typical key ring. It's about 3.3 inches long, 1.6 inches wide, and 0.6 inches thick and weighs 50g.”

This is from Kyle CS chat

Also, functions:
Lock/Unlock
Frunk open/close
Tailgate open only(manually close)
these measurements make me feel much better just checked that to my fusion key not bad. i do feel like I will be using my phone most of the time but still cool.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Could care less about a key fob. Once you have your phone as your key, you don't want to go back.
I assume that you care more as much as you care less about the fob. In my experience, wireless technology is not faultless. Sometimes you need a physical device when the electronics don't work. In this case a key may be the only option. I'm hoping that I don't have to break in if I don't have a signal.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I assume that you care more as much as you care less about the fob. In my experience, wireless technology is not faultless. Sometimes you need a physical device when the electronics don't work. In this case a key may be the only option. I'm hoping that I don't have to break in if I don't have a signal.
Don't phone as a key approaches just use Bluetooth LE and a digital cert stored locally on the phone?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Don't phone as a key approaches just use Bluetooth LE and a digital cert stored locally on the phone?
If the 12V in the car is dead, only a mechanical key will work (most fobs have one incorporated).

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If the 12V in the car is dead, only a mechanical key will work (most fobs have one incorporated).
Yeah, I'm not against the fob, and appreciate the physical key (the fob better have one...). Just questioning whether you actually need to worry about your phone's cell signal for it to work.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yep. The big use case for the fob that I see is unlock/lock and trunk/gate operation from a distance (albeit short) outside of cellular data coverage.

If my kids wanna get something out of the truck while we’re camping, I can open the frunk for them without getting out of my easy chair.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla does not have a key, or a keyhole to put one in.

If the battery is dead on the key fob, you place it on the lower portion of window shield and you can unlock the door, then you place it on the center console near the 12 volt plug and you can start the car.

That is of course if you don’t have access for the phone app.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
What if the car's 12 volt dies?

After some brief googling, Teslas are not able to be opened if the 12v dies. You need to somehow access the 12 volt and charge it or replace it, which is in the frunk, which won't open without power.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
What if the car's 12 volt dies?

After some brief googling, Teslas are not able to be opened if the 12v dies. You need to somehow access the 12 volt and charge it or replace it, which is in the frunk, which won't open without power.
Tesla frunk has an emergency release under the front bumper.
Sponsored