First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Did you measure actual speed vs GPS yet? I’m thinking of swapping the AT to AS as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Yes. 65 on the speedometer is actually 63 on the GPS. I subtract about 3% from the range, efficiency etc numbers the car is generating to account for the difference.

It tracked the various online calculator estimates, such as https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Ktmsmr12

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Yes. 65 on the speedometer is actually 63 on the GPS. I subtract about 3% from the range, efficiency etc numbers the car is generating to account for the difference.

It tracked the various online calculator estimates, such as https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/
I have the 2023.02.03 software with the 20” AT’s and when my speedometer shows 70, GPS says 69. So you’re only seeing 1mph less. I think I’m going to try the 275/60R20 Falken Ziex CT60 A/S. I believe it has the same load and speed ratings as the stock AT 20’s. Don’t know why a shop wouldn’t mount that.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Please keep posting! I am coming up on 20k on my 20” ATs and am looking for more economy and ride quality. Has anyone asked Rivian to reprogram their 20” wheels with 275/60/R20s as 21” wheels?

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I framed it to Rivian as wanting my speedo calibrated for the new tires. I have an appointment in early May at the service center to have this done - I will keep you posted.

The official Rivian line is extreme discomfort when asked anything about any tires other than the three specific Pirelli custom tires they offer as the OEM.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
It's not on Rivian to recalibrate for every possible tire that could fit on their wheels. Every tire is going to deliver a different rolling resistance and will react differently to various driving scenarios. Manufacturers certify specific tires for their vehicles because they have tested the cars extensively on those tires and know that the performance, durability and efficiency meets advertised standards. They don't have the resources to do that with every tire you can fit on their cars.

Anybody who has ever added larger tires on an Off-road truck or switched from AS to MT has learned that their speedo is no longer accurate and either has a 3rd party recalibrate it or just lives with the mental calibration.

New EV owners are overly obsessed with range estimates compared to ICE vehicle owners. That's fine, but ICE owners don't expect their car company to recalibrate the speedo and update the stated range on their SUV or truck when they switch from stock Dunlop All Season tires to BFG KO2s.

Once you go to a non OEM option, it's up to you to deal with the consequences whether they be beneficial or detrimental to your ownership experience.

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It's not on Rivian to recalibrate for every possible tire that could fit on a their wheels. Every tire is going to deliver a different rolling resistance and will react differently to various driving scenarios. Manufacturers certify specific tires for their vehicles is because they have tested the cars extensively on those tires and know that the performance, durability and efficiency meets advertised standards. They don't have the resources to do that with every tire you can fit on their cars.

Anybody who has ever added larger tires on an Off-road truck or switched from AS to MT has learned that their speedo is no longer accurate and either has a 3rd party recalibrate it or just lives with the mental calibration.

New EV owners are overly obsessed with range estimates compared to ICE vehicle owners. That's fine, but ICE owners don't expect their car company to recalibrate the speedo and update the stated range on their SUV or truck when they switch from stock Dunlop All Season tires to BFG KO2s.

Once you go to a non OEM option, it's up to you to deal with the consequences whether they be beneficial or detrimental to your ownership experience.
what if i just want the wheels in my app to match the wheels in my heart... i mean, truck.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
What's the difference in the weight of the tires? Reason I ask is because I switched from All-Season tires to All-Terrain tires on my Jeep and added 10 lbs per tire with the All-Terrains. I lost about 3-5 mpg with the heavier tires. Size of the tires was exactly the same and the wheels were the same, so I'm thinking it had more to do with the heavier tire than any other factor. Rolling resistance might have been a little bit too, but I think the extra weight was the real killer for efficiency.

clayton006

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2022 Model S Plaid, 2021 Model Y Perform
Occupation
IT Engineer
Just registered and wanted to report in what I'm looking to do. I just took delivery on 2/4 and really enjoy the truck. I'm actually looking at the Nokian Tyres One HT all season tire. It has a higher load rating than the stock ATs and is the same exact size. Discount Tire is going to call me back on availability, but I'm going to seriously consider these for some more comfort and range.

Sponsored

CenterLou

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, Honda CRV, 2-Toyota Avalon Hybrid
Occupation
HR Director
My R1S was delivered with the 20 ATs - I would have preferred the 21s but got faster delivery by taking the 20 ATs. I just switched the AT tires for the Scorpion AS+ tires.

Big difference. Quick impressions:
1. Immediate 20% improvement in efficiency (adjusting for the fact that the car computer hasn't been recalibrate yet to adjust for the 3% circumference difference). Photo attached from my stop-and-go beltway traffic drive this morning.
2. Major drop in noise. Drone from ATs was getting very audible. These are silent.
3. Significant improvement in ride quality especially over larger bumps
4. Noticeable improvement in steering sharpness and highway tracking.
5. Overall, glad to have the forged 20 inch rims. But very glad I changed out the tires. My off road use is limited to when I take the driveway turn too tightly and take out the begonias.

Now what am I going to do with these giant AT tires in my garage...

20230223_115713.jpg

These are the 275/70/20 tires. I had my longtime mechanic do the swap. Photos attached.

20230223_143131-jpg.jpg

20230223_143123-jpg.jpg
My R1S was delivered with the 20 ATs - I would have preferred the 21s but got faster delivery by taking the 20 ATs. I just switched the AT tires for the Scorpion AS+ tires.

Big difference. Quick impressions:
1. Immediate 20% improvement in efficiency (adjusting for the fact that the car computer hasn't been recalibrate yet to adjust for the 3% circumference difference). Photo attached from my stop-and-go beltway traffic drive this morning.
2. Major drop in noise. Drone from ATs was getting very audible. These are silent.
3. Significant improvement in ride quality especially over larger bumps
4. Noticeable improvement in steering sharpness and highway tracking.
5. Overall, glad to have the forged 20 inch rims. But very glad I changed out the tires. My off road use is limited to when I take the driveway turn too tightly and take out the begonias.

Now what am I going to do with these giant AT tires in my garage...

20230223_115713.jpg

These are the 275/70/20 tires. I had my longtime mechanic do the swap. Photos attached.

20230223_143131-jpg.jpg

20230223_143123-jpg.jpg
I’m in MN so I personally like my 20 ATs. I think they have handled our winter really well and I don’t think I’ll be looking to get a set of winter tires. I don’t notice the noise from them or at least I don’t find as annoying as the noise that highway speeds and wind make it sound like a door or window is open. If you are looking to dump them, I’d be interested. I’ve already have over 9k miles on my R1T and probably will go with the same or similar when I have to replace in a couple years. My tire place says the ATs are 60k tires but we’ll see.

TomR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just registered and wanted to report in what I'm looking to do. I just took delivery on 2/4 and really enjoy the truck. I'm actually looking at the Nokian Tyres One HT all season tire. It has a higher load rating than the stock ATs and is the same exact size. Discount Tire is going to call me back on availability, but I'm going to seriously consider these for some more comfort and range.
Let me know how it goes, I’m looking to do same exact thing in spring. Heard lots of good things about the Nokians.

clayton006

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineer
Let me know how it goes, I’m looking to do same exact thing in spring. Heard lots of good things about the Nokians.
For sure will do. I’ve used Nokian winter tires on a few cars in the past but never an all season. Hopefully I’ll hear back tomorrow on when they can ship to me.

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

loving this thread. I feel like doing similar upgrade would help smooth out some of my complaints about road noise.

clayton006

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineer
An update to my quest to find these tires. Discount Tire told me they had three available in the country, and that supposedly these tires are made in Russia. You can imagine why it would be difficult to get a hold of them. I went to another local tire shop and they had one they are shipping in. Turns out Discount Tire only has two (store in TX didn't have the one in inventory).

I went online to another vendor and was able to order one. Will see what happens when all four arrive later this week.
Sponsored