Sponsored

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
My R1S was delivered with the 20 ATs - I would have preferred the 21s but got faster delivery by taking the 20 ATs. I just switched the AT tires for the Scorpion AS+ tires.

Big difference. Quick impressions:
1. Immediate 20% improvement in efficiency (adjusting for the fact that the car computer hasn't been recalibrate yet to adjust for the 3% circumference difference). Photo attached from my stop-and-go beltway traffic drive this morning.
2. Major drop in noise. Drone from ATs was getting very audible. These are silent.
3. Significant improvement in ride quality especially over larger bumps
4. Noticeable improvement in steering sharpness and highway tracking.
5. Overall, glad to have the forged 20 inch rims. But very glad I changed out the tires. My off road use is limited to when I take the driveway turn too tightly and take out the begonias.

Now what am I going to do with these giant AT tires in my garage...

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference 20230223_115713

These are the 275/70/20 tires. I had my longtime mechanic do the swap. Photos attached.

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference 20230223_143131-

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference 20230223_143123-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
Going to bookmark this so when our R1S arrives I can snag some of these tires. Looking forward to pics!

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

cool. i wonder if Rivian service will be able to calibrate it in some way or if it even needs it. i know folks have been getting recalibrated when they switch wheel sizes but not sure what happens when you keep the same wheel with a different tire.

Sponsored

waitingforrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
My R1S was delivered with the 20 ATs - I would have preferred the 21s but got faster delivery by taking the 20 ATs. I just switched the AT tires for the Scorpion AS+ tires.

1. Immediate 20% improvement in efficiency (adjusting for the fact that the car computer hasn't been recalibrate yet to adjust for the 3% circumference difference). Photo attached from my stop-and-go beltway traffic drive this morning.
2. Major drop in noise. Drone from ATs was getting very audible. These are silent.
5. Overall, glad to have the forged 20 inch rims. But very glad I changed out the tires. My off road use is limited to when I take the driveway turn too tightly and take out the begonias.

20230223_115713.jpg
Where did you get them swapped?
Asking because people said some tire shops refused as AS+ tires have slightly lower load at 115H (vs 116H of 20" AT)

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Looks great!

I posted this in another thread, but as a lifelong AT guy, I’m very impressed by how well the AS performs off-road in light-moderate conditions. I wouldn’t take them on anything sharp or super hairy, but the reduced noise and improved ride quality are worth the tradeoff for me.

Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

20230223_115713.jpg
Please keep us posted on your efficiency. A 20% improvement is amazing. I dropped from Max to Large pack and the thought of getting back that much range by trading off a bit of off road capability is an exchange I’d be happy to make. I doubt you‘ll have any trouble selling your virtually brand new AT tires for a decent price.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Where did you get them swapped again? I'm mostly up in PA but am down that way a lot too, so when it's time to swap that'd be an option depending on what I can find up here.

TomR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Any concerns on the slightly lower load? I been wanted to swap to something like but afraid no one will install it.

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
So, just got home after a typically grinding 1 hour commute on the Beltway, sometimes as 65 sometimes at 2 mph. Average efficiency of 2.63 mi/Kwh.

That is a 330 mile range in All Purpose (assuming 125 kw usable battery after the latest update) and over 364 in Conserve ( if one assumes that the 10% delta between the two for the AT holds).

Even if one deducts 3% for the slight size difference between the AT and AS (that is the reported mph discrepancy in %) then that means a Conserve mlMode range of about 353 on the AS tires - in tbis gruesome DC traffic. An image of my power report for my roundtrip today attached (all All Purpose mode).

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference 20230223_193728

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
So, just got home after a typically grinding 1 hour commute on the Beltway, sometimes as 65 sometimes at 2 mph. Average efficiency of 2.63 mi/Kwh.

That is a 330 mile range in All Purpose (assuming 125 kw usable battery after the latest update) and over 364 in Conserve ( if one assumes that the 10% delta between the two for the AT holds).

Even if one deducts 3% for the slight size difference between the AT and AS (that is the reported mph discrepancy in %) then that means a Conserve mlMode range of about 353 on the AS tires - in tbis gruesome DC traffic. An image of my power report for my roundtrip today attached (all All Purpose mode).

20230223_193728.jpg
This is freaking amazing.
Sponsored