Sponsored

Normal HVAC behavior?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I agree that the HVAC is messed up but I do think it has gotten better on my truck since the last update. So hopefully they are working on improving it. Now my biggest issue is that when I put it on defrost the only speed is max. I'd like to keep on the defrost but lower the fan speed.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

Same problem for both heat and AC. SC could not figure out how to fix it. Thinks it is a software problem. I run mine on manual. Seems to help. A functioning HVAC system is hardly rocket science. Another major disappointment.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Try setting the heat to 73 and see if the vent icons change from blue snowflakes to red heat waves. It seems different trucks have slightly different set-points, but in my R1T the "magic number" to get heat is 73 deg.

Last edited:

jbrumsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Miata RF, F-Pace S, Backdraft Cobra
Occupation
IT
Try setting the heat to 73 and see if the vent icons change from blue snowflakes to red heat waves. It seems different trucks have slightly different set-points, but my "magic number" to get heat is 73 deg.
This is similar to what I see as well. Anything 71 or below and the truck will blow cold air out of the vents even if the cabin temperature is in the 40s/50s. However if I leave it at 72 it seems to work as I would expect auto hvac and blows warm air.

The other thing that bothers me is when in auto mode the fan is always blowing at a relatively high speed even once the cabin gets up to temperature. One of the best things about owning an EV is the silence when driving and I find the fan noise on auto excessive due to it's speed.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Update: Service just called (I submitted a ticket earlier today) and they’re going to try and get Mobile to come take a look. If not, I have another appt for other issues coming up on March 16th anyway.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Update: Service just called (I submitted a ticket earlier today) and they’re going to try and get Mobile to come take a look. If not, I have another appt for other issues coming up on March 16th anyway.
I don't understand why Rivian would send a mobile tech for something that seems to be a software defect affecting all R1 vehicles.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I don't understand why Rivian would send a mobile tech for something that seems to be a software defect affecting all R1 vehicles.
Agree. A mobile visit for this is absurd. Two OTAs ago they have “we fuct with the HVAC” in the release notes.

I’d file a ticket but I don’t want a voicemail from _Cambodia_ (literally) from a rep asking to make an appointment about a software defect I’m trying to report.

Someone needs to ask their software guy on Reddit how to file software tickets.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Agree. A mobile visit for this is absurd. Two OTAs ago they have “we fuct with the HVAC” in the release notes.

I’d file a ticket but I don’t want a voicemail from _Cambodia_ (literally) from a rep asking to make an appointment about a software defect I’m trying to report.

Someone needs to ask their software guy on Reddit how to file software tickets.
I appreciate both points of view. My perspective is “make this as visible for Rivian until it’s properly addressed.” It’s also possible I have something weird going on in my car - bad sensor, etc. My truck needs to go in to address some other issues for another appt regardless, so failing the mobile tech visit, it’ll be seen by their techs in SSF in a few weeks.

I know @Wassym on Reddit (and possibly here?) is aware of some funkiness in the HVAC from a thread I read somewhat recently. He’s super responsive over there, which is frankly great to see.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I appreciate both points of view. My perspective is “make this as visible for Rivian until it’s properly addressed.”
I see where you are coming from. Hopefully you didn’t feel like I was giving you a hard time - wasn’t trying to. More venting that there isn’t a way to report software problems.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Mainly because they are pretty much clueless. They will come out to the location.. run the climate control system and tell the owner "that's normal". They waste a lot of time covering for the plant.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Truck is in El Segundo getting some work done and I asked them to take a look at the HVAC system and looks like they work late!
Rivian R1T R1S Normal HVAC behavior? 50276B41-1960-48F5-A913-0DF97540A52F

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the same problem heat only turns on around 72F even when it’s freezing outside if I set the temp to 68F it’s showing that the A/C is blowing. I did stick a thermometer in the vents and used an IR temp gun and the air was blowing warm. So the snowflake symbol doesn’t actually match what’s coming out the vents. I still think the system sucks compared to my Tesla. Hope they get it working better soon

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'm also a fan of the dial to control the temperature of the air blowing out of the vent.

I will never understand why someone thought setting a degree target was a good idea.

For me, I cannot stand to be blasted by the flames of hades when a hvac systems thinks it needs to warm up the cabin, I physically get sick from it. Many times in the polar vortex a few years ago I had to drive with my window partially down and the heat on to keep my RAMs windshield from icing over inside.

Most of the time in the rivian i only use the heat to defog the windshield. I wish they had just a dehumidifier mode. I produce enough heat in enclosed spaces to keep warm.

Sticking to the thread, I've experienced the same behavior, including the difference between rear hvac on/off. I've also had problems where the hvac system sticks on even though I have it off, which kills the range. I've gotten to the point where I will turn it off and on a few times to make sure it really stays off.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
So far mine works great, but generally just use warmers unless 20 degrees outside or colder.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I asked about this while I was in service but it never made it onto my work order. The rep wasn't able to answer if the red/blue icons were tied to a temp or tied to what the HVAC system was actually blowing. In my experience it turns red at 70 and blue anything below that.

Still struggling with blowing cold air:
Outside temp 38-40*
Setpoint 66-68* (blue icon)
App reads 50* in cabin after 60 minutes of driving at constant temp. Didn't see a difference between AP or Conserve modes.

I'll try turning on the rear and cranking up the setpoint and see if either helps, thanks for the tips.
Sponsored