Sponsored

Tesla Price Cuts Across The Board

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yeah I mean we love ours, especially for road-trips. I think that even though the R1T is the fun/shiny new toy, we’d still use the Y for road-trips. I told most folks who were interested in the Y to not pay 60k+ for it because it’s just not a great value at that price, but with the current pricing I would have no issue recommending it (and have).
Well now the wife wants to see both in person and drive them. Crap
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well now the wife wants to see both in person and drive them. Crap
My wife stole my R1T when I first got it, because she liked the truck experience. After her first charging fiasco, she is back to her Model Y and won't touch my truck now except for short trips. The charging experience is a big part of the EV experience. It is not just the charging network, but how the vehicle interacts with it.

I have zero issue with using multiple apps on my phone and doing my own math and research on upcoming chargers. For anyone who does not think this sounds like fun, choices are pretty much limited to vehicles with a big red T on the hood at this point.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My wife stole my R1T when I first got it, because she liked the truck experience. After her first charging fiasco, she is back to her Model Y and won't touch my truck now except for short trips. The charging experience is a big part of the EV experience. It is not just the charging network, but how the vehicle interacts with it.

I have zero issue with using multiple apps on my phone and doing my own math and research on upcoming chargers. For anyone who does not think this sounds like fun, choices are pretty much limited to vehicles with a big red T on the hood at this point.
It's really come down to a fiscal decision for us. Since we have the R1T the Model Y meets our lower requirements for vehicle#2. Getting it saves her money and diversifies our vehicle ownership (for better or worse). I thought 2 Rivians would be cool and require less learning; we're already familiar with service needs, charging methods/abilities, drive modes, etc.

I've thought about "supplementing" the gap if she chooses the Model Y because I really want that dang R1S! I justify it to myself as I'd probably drive it more for commute instead of the R1T (she works from home) but then it isn't "hers" anymore, it's "our". But isn't that marriage? 🤷🏼‍♂️

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
People can call the CT vaporware all they like... but as we speak the 9,000 Ton Giga-Press for the CT casting is being assembled in the Austin plant. The photo below is from yesterday...

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Price Cuts Across The Board 1674150948588

There is also a video with more details...

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
People can call the CT vaporware all they like... but as we speak the 9,000 Ton Giga-Press for the CT casting is being assembled in the Austin plant. The photo below is from yesterday...

1674150948588.png

There is also a video with more details...
Nicola was vaporware, and you can find plenty of other examples of ideas and vehicles that only exist in drawings.

Tesla of course is not vaporware. They are now one of the largest and most prolific car companies in the world. The Cybertruk is revolutionary, and has presented a number of engineering challenges to bring it into production. However, as you point out, the line is being built and we are months if not weeks away from vehicles being produced on it. Optimistic outlooks have only about 10,000 units being produced this year, but with Tesla's experience in mass production that should ramp up pretty hard next year.

I am really looking forward to seeing them in the wild!

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Whelp....this from Vroom...lol

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Price Cuts Across The Board 1674249413439

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Nicola was vaporware, and you can find plenty of other examples of ideas and vehicles that only exist in drawings.

Tesla of course is not vaporware. They are now one of the largest and most prolific car companies in the world. The Cybertruk is revolutionary, and has presented a number of engineering challenges to bring it into production. However, as you point out, the line is being built and we are months if not weeks away from vehicles being produced on it. Optimistic outlooks have only about 10,000 units being produced this year, but with Tesla's experience in mass production that should ramp up pretty hard next year.

I am really looking forward to seeing them in the wild!
I have faith the CT will be pretty good, but how can you call it revolutionary when it doesn’t exist yet?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have faith the CT will be pretty good, but how can you call it revolutionary when it doesn’t exist yet?
Well, because it does exist. A half dozen models have been built for testing and verification, and the line is being created for Mass production. There are trucks out there that you can go touch and even drive tomorrow if you know the right people. What exactly is your definition of "doesn't exist?"

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Well, because it does exist. A half dozen models have been built for testing and verification, and the line is being created for Mass production. There are trucks out there that you can go touch and even drive tomorrow if you know the right people. What exactly is your definition of "doesn't exist?"
I think they mean it isn't available on teslas website, there is no price, battery size, features list, etc. It's all conjecture. Yes there's some lifted DeLoreans running around, but until we get some hard information, I agree that it does not "yet" exist.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think they mean it isn't available on teslas website, there is no price, battery size, features list, etc. It's all conjecture. Yes there's some lifted DeLoreans running around, but until we get some hard information, I agree that it does not "yet" exist.
Okay, but the question was how can you comment about "revolutionary" when it doesn't exist?

This is the first vehicle ever designed with an exoskeleton. My comment was that it is revolutionary, and that has slowed production a bit getting those new bits unkinked. I suppose people can certainly split hairs, but beta and Delta units are running around, and that exoskeleton is currently in production, albeit in limited numbers.

I have a 1-off Jeep that is highly customized. No, you cannot buy one at a dealer like it. It is the only one that exists like this one. Does that mean that my Jeep does not exist?
🤔

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Okay, but the question was how can you comment about "revolutionary" when it doesn't exist?

This is the first vehicle ever designed with an exoskeleton. My comment was that it is revolutionary, and that has slowed production a bit getting those new bits unkinked. I suppose people can certainly split hairs, but beta and Delta units are running around, and that exoskeleton is currently in production, albeit in limited numbers.

I have a 1-off Jeep that is highly customized. No, you cannot buy one at a dealer like it. It is the only one that exists like this one. Does that mean that my Jeep does not exist?
🤔
It also has bulletproof glass!
Correct. Your Jeep does not exist in the context of this conversation.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
It also has bulletproof glass!
Correct. Your Jeep does not exist in the context of this conversation.
No it does not have bulletproof glass, it was never advertised or in any other way indicated to have that. They called it armored glass as it was stronger than normal automotive glass. Tesla / Elon have only claimed the steel exoskeleton is bulletproof up to 9mm.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
No it does not have bulletproof glass, it was never advertised or in any other way indicated to have that. They called it armored glass as it was stronger than normal automotive glass. Tesla / Elon have only claimed the steel exoskeleton is bulletproof up to 9mm.
Forgive me. I must have mistaken bulletproof exoskeleton and armored glass. Both of which are gimmicks imo. Glad you guys are excited for it. Will be cool to see on the road.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
if they changed Model X base model to 80k to hit the tax requirement, I’d place order immediately. I’m sure many others would as well. For Tesla, that may not be a good thing as they don’t care too much about selling those it seems. I’d be happy in a LR MX 5 seater. I love my MY and would be hard pressed to trade it for anything else currently available.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT

🤔
I’m still failing to understand how the exoskeleton will even be revolutionary. It seems to me it’s a negative since if you get in an accident the panels won’t be replaceable? Maybe I don’t understand the advantages for the consumer.
I’m still nervous about the CT price also. I’m going to be surprised if it’s cheaper than the R1T, I’m guessing it will start at 79.9k and go up to 130k but who knows with their recent price cuts
Sponsored