Sponsored

💩Tesla Clandestinely Downgrades Performance Brakes, Uses Plastic Covers to Hide it.💩

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This is some pretty shady stuff👎🏼
Tesla has clandestinely downgraded its performance brakes on the Model Y Performance and even put a cover to hide the change in a deceptive move.

When going from a Model Y Long Range to Model Y Performance, the biggest difference is arguably the performance brakes.

You also get faster acceleration and higher top speed, but those are basically software unlocked since the powertrain in the vehicles is virtually the same.

There are also bigger wheels, but that’s a positive or negative, depending on how you look at it.

The bigger Brembo brakes are arguably the most significant upgrade for the money to move up to the top-performance version.

However, we now learn that Tesla has downgraded the brakes and has done it in a very sneaky and deceiving way.

ZEV Centric, a company building accessories for Tesla vehicles, spotted and exposed the change.

The company was working on some customers’ Model Ys and some of their own Model Y vehicles and discovered the downgrade:

We already have a 2020 MYLR and a 2022 MYP that belong to other members of the company and now have added a company owned 2023 MYP to further develop. We brought all 3 into the office to do some comparisons and a quick tear down. It was at this time that we opted to snap some photos, shoot some video, take some measurements, and reveal what is hiding behind the rear covers. Little did we know that not many people were aware of this downgrade and Tesla still markets it as a performance upgrade on their website.
The Performance upgrade on the Model Y brings a rear Brembo caliper and a 2mm thicker rotor with additional venting features.

The company spotted this around September when Tesla started to replace that Brembo caliper (right) with a new Mando brake (left):
Rivian R1T R1S 💩Tesla Clandestinely Downgrades Performance Brakes, Uses Plastic Covers to Hide it.💩 Screenshot-2023-01-16-at-2.14.24-PM

The company now says that the rotor is 2mm thinner with the downgrade.

Here’s also a comparison of the brake pads on both calipers, which clearly shows the Brembo to be more significant in size:

Rivian R1T R1S 💩Tesla Clandestinely Downgrades Performance Brakes, Uses Plastic Covers to Hide it.💩 Screenshot-2023-01-16-at-2.18.00-PM

ZEV Centric, who are brake experts, believes this is a significant downgrade and believes Tesla should provide them with the Brembo brakes since the change was not indicated on Tesla’s Model Y configurator.

Tesla has been known to implement cost-cutting efforts by removing features over the last few years, such as removing passenger lumbar support controls and ultrasonic sensors.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/16/tesla-sneakily-downgrades-performance-brakes-puts-cover-hide-it/
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If their customers don't care about paying for "beta" FSD, will they care about brakes?

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Shrinkflation strikes again. Change the packaging and hope the consumer won’t notice the deception.
That alone would be understandable. It’s the adding of the plastic covers trying to hide what they did that is just SO greasy to me.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

That alone would be understandable. It’s the adding of the plastic covers trying to hide what they did that is just SO greasy to me.
Those aren't plastic covers, they are aero-covers.

Sponsored

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
💯
Former MYLR here - had those rear Mando calipers from day one. Honestly they’re not terrible for rear brakes on a car with heavy regen (and no track mode, bleh)

The covers? Now that just seems sleazy.

Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
What’s extra shady is that they overtly tried to cover it up. Want to introduce smaller brakes? Fine, but let people know and don’t try to cover it up.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

If their customers don't care about paying for "beta" FSD, will they care about brakes?
I’d argue they care about having brakes that are claimed to be “performance” and look different than standard. 99% don’t actually care what brakes they have.
As far as I can tell, Tesla never listed a certain size or brand of brakes on their website. Just “performance brakes.”

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’d argue they care about having brakes that are claimed to be “performance” and look different than standard. 99% don’t actually care what brakes they have.
As far as I can tell, Tesla never listed a certain size or brand of brakes on their website. Just “performance brakes.”
I think you are probably right about that. Had they even quietly removed the name “performance” from the description it would be a different story to me. This is literally the definition of false advertising. They are still using the original description but downgraded the product.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Around where I live the average Tesla driver probably doesn’t even know what a brake caliper is. The brake is just a pedal on the left to most folks. Just like most folks aren’t in forums.
As PT Barnum said…nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average American!

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Wonder if they make those to cover up the Rivians similar rear caliper! 😉

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Wonder if they make those to cover up the Rivians similar rear caliper! 😉
There are several companies out there making them - I'm sure they will eventually make one for Rivian.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Those price cuts gotta come from somewhere, right? Can't help but wonder what else Tesla cut in other less accessible places.

GR
Sponsored