First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Me - Damn, did I already drink that much, really!??
You guys have got this all wrong.....

Me - Forget the glass... How many bottles do I have left? ???????
Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Great sleuthing by everyone here after each new release of photos and videos! Apparently, I'm not alone in suffering from OCD. My case is so bad, I self-diagnosed it as CDO. My doctors didn't understand. I had to explain to them that "It's the same as OCD......except in the CORRECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER!!!"

Hmm....that's weird....where did my pocket knife collection go?
I can share my safety scissors with you.... With enough force they can still cut.... absolutely nothing.....

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I consider myself a realist.

Optimists do annoy me, because not everything is rosy.
Pessimists annoy me, as well, as not everything is always bad.
Wait... would this mean that nearly everyone annoys you? I can relate. ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Here's a new, cool/positive feature I hadn't seen before. Not everything is negative. I don't know if it's real or production intent, but it would be convenient.

My view is that Rivian has actually done a pretty good job with customer engagement. Think about how much more we know about the R1T and R1S than we know about any other electric truck coming to market. They're releasing a fair amount of information and content with details increasing as volume production approaches. All critical features about the car are known with the possible exception of the battery supplier. This is also to say that there are many details we don't know about the vehicles. And we won't until they release additional production specs and photos. And, we will learn the most once they are actually in customers and journalists hands.

But they will likely continue to iterate as time passes. Might they change something with fit and finish prior to production, sure. Could they also do that after 2 months of production, a la Tesla, possibly. Does that mean you're not getting the car you thought you reserved? I don't think so but of course everyone is entitled to their view on this. Ultimately, the cars won't have every feature everyone wants. My hope is that the final product is high quality, durable and reliable. And we definitely won't know that for a while!

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Think about how much more we know about the R1T and R1S than we know about any other electric truck coming to market.
I'd argue that we know as much or more about the GMC Hummer EV, despite it coming to market after the R1T.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I'd argue that we know as much or more about the GMC Hummer EV, despite it coming to market after the R1T.
I have reservations for both, and I completely agree. I also think the Hummer has more features than the Rivian, including many that people on this forum are asking for, such as:
  • 800V/350KW charging
  • Multipro tailgate with a step
  • Larger bed, both width and length
  • Rock sliders/running boards
  • Removable roof, fits in frunk
  • Powered rear window, rolls down
  • Much lower access to the frunk from the front
  • Crab mode plus 4 wheel steering
  • Underbody cameras for 4 wheeling

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Here's a new, cool/positive feature I hadn't seen before. Not everything is negative. I don't know if it's real or production intent, but it would be convenient.

My view is that Rivian has actually done a pretty good job with customer engagement. Think about how much more we know about the R1T and R1S than we know about any other electric truck coming to market. They're releasing a fair amount of information and content with details increasing as volume production approaches. All critical features about the car are known with the possible exception of the battery supplier. This is also to say that there are many details we don't know about the vehicles. And we won't until they release additional production specs and photos. And, we will learn the most once they are actually in customers and journalists hands.

But they will likely continue to iterate as time passes. Might they change something with fit and finish prior to production, sure. Could they also do that after 2 months of production, a la Tesla, possibly. Does that mean you're not getting the car you thought you reserved? I don't think so but of course everyone is entitled to their view on this. Ultimately, the cars won't have every feature everyone wants. My hope is that the final product is high quality, durable and reliable. And we definitely won't know that for a while!
I mean, Rivian has not announced the very motion-activated opening charging door that you just linked to in your post. That’s the first we’ve seen of that, and it’s coming from a blogger. Rivian has never mentioned that and it’s not on the website. You’re sort of proving your own point wrong by linking to it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have reservations for both, and I completely agree. I also think the Hummer has more features than the Rivian, including many that people on this forum are asking for, such as:
  • 800V/350KW charging
  • Multipro tailgate with a step
  • Larger bed, both width and length
  • Rock sliders/running boards
  • Removable roof, fits in frunk
  • Powered rear window, rolls down
  • Much lower access to the frunk from the front
  • Crab mode plus 4 wheel steering
  • Underbody cameras for 4 wheeling
Not sure it is a fair comparison. Most of these are probably in the Edition 1 scheduled for fall of this year. We do not know what is standard and what is optionable but available, and it starts 112, 595. That is at least 37.6K on top of the Launch Edition R1T, or 150% higher MSRP.

Rivian R1T R1S Official Meridian - Rivian Announcement 1614885124700

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not sure it is a fair comparison. Most of these are probably in the Edition 1 scheduled for fall of this year. We do not know what is standard and what is optionable but available, and it starts 112, 595. That is at least 37.6K on top of the Launch Edition R1T, or 150% higher MSRP.

1614885124700.png
GMC appears to have removed some details from their site. When they first launched the site they included much more detail about what each trim included.

I wonder if that means the trim details are still in flux?

This article went over some of the trim differences that were previously disclosed:

https://www.businessinsider.com/gmc...im-at-79995-will-be-unveiled-in-spring-2024-5

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I had the exact same 2005 Acura TL. Black with the camel interior, phew loved that car!
The ELS sound system you’re referring to was ahead of its time! Would be great if they supported that, but everything’s now compressed audio on streaming services :(
Haven't tried it, but Amazon has an HD streaming service with an ultra level whose specs are close to dvd-a...maybe I'll try it with the R1T:
Rivian R1T R1S Official Meridian - Rivian Announcement 1614888734246

BTW: one of my sons still has that Acura...he loves it and keeps it going.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
GM has all of this on thier web site and they send me updates each month:

Rivian R1T R1S Official Meridian - Rivian Announcement 1614889385267

Does Hummer cost more, yes it does. Does it check all the boxes for me, yes it does. Will I get more features, yes I will.

When Rivian updates their website with more options, such as powered tailgate, removable roof, 800V/300KW charging, running boards, etc. what will the price be?

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Haven't tried it, but Amazon has an HD streaming service with an ultra level whose specs are close to dvd-a...maybe I'll try it with the R1T:
1614888734246.png

BTW: one of my sons still has that Acura...he loves it and keeps it going.
Ahhh I did not know this was available! Thanks for sending my way.

Lucky son you've got there. Those 2004-2008 Acura TLs were special vehicles!

Also, noticed you're in the South Puget Sound area. My family resides in the Gig Harbor area and I absolutely love getting up there to visit; beautiful part of the PNW!

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
We won't know everything we don't know until the vehicles are released. Whatever you think you know about the Hummer could change before production.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That’s the first we’ve seen of that, and it’s coming from a blogger.
Not material to your point but the source of that video showing the charge port door in action was a video news story posted to youtube by Atlanta's NBC affiliate, 11Alive.
Sponsored