Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Shipping cars by rail means it is possible to trace progress of the train provided we know what the train cart number is with our car on it.
When i was getting my Mustang Mach-E last year, I was able to get train updates thanks to so called Vehicle Visibility Report that the dealer shared with us.

Attached is a map of the rail network. Notice that Normal, IL is marked as MI or Mitsubishi on this map but is now Rivian.

It seems to me that Guides know the train numbers that cars are on because they are providing updates.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Transitioning to Railway Train Transport For Deliveries automotive-map-0
Sponsored

AZBruin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
I think my truck is still on a train somewhere between Normal and Phoenix. My guide thought it would arrive last week but said he is still adjusting to the longer train rides. Hope it doesn't get sidetracked!

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer
would be cool to if we could get train cart #. Mine was in Nebraska last Friday and today guide told me it was in Utah.

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
would be cool to if we could get train cart #. Mine was in Nebraska last Friday and today guide told me it was in Utah.
That's very cool your guide has an ability to track locations and provides you the updates. I haven't gotten the idea that my guide has done or is able to provide that detail. Most of his comments are very broad/general in nature and far from specific.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
From what I see on that map above, if you are anywhere inbetween denver and LA, and Portland to LA, to include Las Vegas, your ride is going to be exceptionally longer.

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
That's very cool your guide has an ability to track locations and provides you the updates. I haven't gotten the idea that my guide has done or is able to provide that detail. Most of his comments are very broad/general in nature and far from specific.
Probably getting tired of over-promising, cause thats what the bosses told him to do, and getting yelled at.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Shipping cars by rail means it is possible to trace progress of the train provided we know what the train cart number is with our car on it.
When i was getting my Mustang Mach-E last year, I was able to get train updates thanks to so called Vehicle Visibility Report that the dealer shared with us.

Attached is a map of the rail network. Notice that Normal, IL is marked as MI or Mitsubishi on this map but is now Rivian.

It seems to me that Guides know the train numbers that cars are on because they are providing updates.
automotive-map-0.png
Nice, it would be nice if the guides would give this to customers to they don't have to keep bugging them but at least can watch the progress of where it's at!

dsmithsalinas

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2023 Polestar 2
Occupation
Product Manager
LOL this whole Guide thing is really wild. Mine is OOO and just chatted with a different one who was not even remotely paying attention to my question and I had to repeat my question 3 times before he actually answered it.

also gave me completely different info than my regular guide who told me the truck should arrive last week but this guide today told me I shouldn’t expect it for another 2-4 weeks.

just flabbergasted by how poor this service is for an $80k vehicle. 🤷🏼‍♂️ First world problems, I suppose.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

automotive-map-0.png
My Ford dealer did not show me the VVR until I demanded to see it. We walked away 1hr later from our Mach-e. It was obvious they had been lying to us for months.

I do not think your rail map is complete. Our Mach-e was sent to Kansas City from Mexico City and few weeks later it was loaded on a train headed to SLC UT. From SLC it was eventually put on a car carrier to Boise ID and sold for MSRP +$5k to someone more desperate and ignorant of it’s shipping fiasco.

I am not sure Rivian guides have access to up to date VVRs. I spoke to many folks in Ford that did not have VVR access.

Rail transport is slower than a slow boat to wherever, it just takes faith ……. That it will eventually get there!!

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
LOL this whole Guide thing is really wild. Mine is OOO and just chatted with a different one who was not even remotely paying attention to my question and I had to repeat my question 3 times before he actually answered it.

also gave me completely different info than my regular guide who told me the truck should arrive last week but this guide today told me I shouldn’t expect it for another 2-4 weeks.

just flabbergasted by how poor this service is for an $80k vehicle. 🤷🏼‍♂️ First world problems, I suppose.
Agreed. Very amateur hour. I’m almost 2 weeks into insuring the truck based on my guides… guidance. During the last 7 days I went from” it’s at the SC being prepped” to its in transit for this week, to hearing today that its in transit and no eta. When I commented on it not sounding like anytime soon I heard crickets back.

Sponsored

nieder

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2020 Toyota Tundra
The last time my guide had any detailed info was July 19 when he said it was in Kansas (bound for Costa Mesa SC). Since then he has had no details only that he “expects an update soon”.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Here is how the Ford's Vehicle Visibility Report looked like that I mentioned in my previous comment. The Ford Dealership knew exactly where the car is and, if they shared the Railcar# with me, I was able to call a railroad automated system (1-877-744-7279), using an old phone method to punch numbers to get an update about where the railcar is at.

Something like this is definately possible with Rivian--after all for insurance purposes, they have to be able to trace a lost or stolen car once it leaves the factory.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Transitioning to Railway Train Transport For Deliveries 1660027915667

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Here is how the Ford's Vehicle Visibility Report looked like that I mentioned in my previous comment. The Ford Dealership knew exactly where the car is and, if they shared the Railcar# with me, I was able to call a railroad automated system (1-877-744-7279), using an old phone method to punch numbers to get an update about where the railcar is at.

Something like this is definately possible with Rivian--after all for insurance purposes, they have to be able to trace a lost or stolen car once it leaves the factory.

1660027915667.png
Unfortunately the VVR is a report of what has happened. It is not a schedule of what is and is going to happen. So even if a guide has a VVR they can only say that it arrived at a location on this date. They cannot say if it is still there or when it left or when it is due at the next checkpoint in the trip.

I am sure guides realize that they can only guess when the train will make it to the next destination.

I think Rivian was compelled to start shipping by rail and the undeniable fact is that your R1 will get to you albeit not as quickly as you would like.

Your “Precious” will get to you!

Last edited:

Bttrylfe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Battery Energy Storage Project Manager
Based on your VIN assigned date, my guess is our trucks will be on the same transport to Denver. I'll post if I hear any news.
Just received a message that the truck arrived at the Denver Service Center. Looks like it shipped via Truck instead of rail.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Just received a message that the truck arrived at the Denver Service Center. Looks like it shipped via Truck instead of rail.
Hmmmmm. I'll give my guide a day before reaching out. I haven't heard anything yet.
Sponsored