Sponsored

Any R1S pre-orders hear from guides recently?

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Cramped interior in the Taycan? You mean the backseat? The front seats are incredibly comfortable and not really more cramped than the Rivian, just lower down. The front seats in the Rivian aren't nearly as roomy as similar trucks or large suvs, honestly.

You can get a Cross Turismo at MSRP, maybe even 2 or 3% off, you just have to shop around dealerships and be confident. Like all other luxury dealerships they'll try to rip you off but send out a few emails and you'll find a straight salesperson.
Go for the Rivian. Something about Porsche screams midlife crisis for men ;):CWL::D

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor
So I could not wait any longer, so I sold my Tahoe and got a 2022 Audi e-tron Quattro earlier this week. After 3 1/2 years I don't really need a third row seat. So far, driving the e-tron is a blast and I love the fact that it has a great combination of on-screen control with traditional knobs/buttons. Audi's UI is fantastic and very intuitive. I will still wait for the R1S but I could not wait any longer to get into an EV.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
So I could not wait any longer, so I sold my Tahoe and got a 2022 Audi e-tron Quattro earlier this week. After 3 1/2 years I don't really need a third row seat. So far, driving the e-tron is a blast and I love the fact that it has a great combination of on-screen control with traditional knobs/buttons. Audi's UI is fantastic and very intuitive. I will still wait for the R1S but I could not wait any longer to get into an EV.
Congrats - what is your range on the Audi?

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
It's a nice looking vehicle. Not really in the same class as the R1S in terms off off road, but it sounds like that wasn't one of your primary uses of it anyway. Enjoy!

Sponsored

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
Audi e-tron range is about 235 miles on full charge. Correct that off-roading was not a primary attribute for any EV - Rivian included.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

you waited a long time so don't blame you. way longer than many of us. im also considering alternatives but haven't landed on one yet.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
I still am looking forward to the Rivian - I just needed to get this done sooner than an Oct.-Dec. window that might slip again. I guess my concern is that I had everything wrapped up in April for a May delivery that never happened.

My only quibble with the e-tron is that it does not have a large frunk or a lot of cubby/console spaces in the front compartment. Otherwise the acceleration, suspension and overall ride quality are excellent. It is a pretty futuristic vehicle. One cool thing Audi throws in to the deal is 1,000 hours of free charging through Electrify America. That was a nice touch.

Reactions: Rad

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
How is the pick up on that Audi? Fast like the Tesla?

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

It is helpful to see when you all put down your R1S deposits. And I see a few, like me, who put down deposits in Nov. or Dec. 2018. I did confirm with my Guide, CS and most recently at the Venice event, that my configuration of El Cap Granite/BM is the right combo for early delivery. That said, if someone who put a deposit down after Dec. 2018 gets an R1S before me, I will be very pissed off. I sure hope that does not happen to any deposit holder that has been on this "lack of a" ride for 3 1/2 years.
Get ready to be upset…

Sponsored

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor
Been blowin Tesla's off the line regularly! E-tron is surprisingly fast. I have not been disappointed with its speed. It is a very fun car to driive.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Counselor

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Not really in the same class as the R1S in terms off off road,
I really think the majority of R1S buyers will be soccer moms and people with families needing extra space. Very, very few people with SUVs off road regularly... Although a lot of people do seem to prioritize the off-roading capabilities when shopping for SUVs.

I know it's tempting to cite anecdotes of individual people who buck the trend and use their SUV for riding trails, but those are the exceptions. If a company relied on the off-roading crowd to purchase their SUVs and maintain a profitable business, it would get out of business quickly.

The Jeep Wrangler has traditionally been the only exception, and many Wrangler owners take it off road. I suspect the R1S will be somewhere between the Wrangler and the more family/road friendly SUVs in terms of off road utilization.

Although the R1S CAN go off road, most people are not going to do it with an expensive luxery vehicle very often.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/business/cars/20130714_Jeep_Wrangler_is_an_off-road_classic.html

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I really think the majority of R1S buyers will be soccer moms and people with families needing extra space. Very, very few people with SUVs off road regularly... Although a lot of people do seem to prioritize the off-roading capabilities when shopping for SUVs.

I know it's tempting to cite anecdotes of individual people who buck the trend and use their SUV for riding trails, but those are the exceptions. If a company relied on the off-roading crowd to purchase their SUVs and maintain a profitable business, it would get out of business quickly.

The Jeep Wrangler has traditionally been the only exception, and many Wrangler owners take it off road. I suspect the R1S will be somewhere between the Wrangler and the more family/road friendly SUVs in terms of off road utilization.

Although the R1S CAN go off road, most people are not going to do it with an expensive luxery vehicle very often.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/business/cars/20130714_Jeep_Wrangler_is_an_off-road_classic.html
I think in almost all cases the majority of driving of consumer vehicles will be on road vs. off road so no disagreement at all there. My comment was simply pointing to the fact that the ETron is a crossover whereas the Rivian is not, so there is quite a significant difference in off road capability (among other things) between the two vehicles. This doesn't mean one vehicle is better or worse than the other (there are some great advantages of crossover or car based SUV's) it simply means that the Rivian is significantly better for that particular use case. Truck based vs. car based SUV's have similar performance differences regardless of whether they are electric or not. I happen to think the ETron is a beautiful and capable vehicle and will serve the needs of this buyer well. My personal preference is for the R1S but that is primarily based on what I am prioritizing and personal taste.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I think in almost all cases the majority of driving of consumer vehicles will be on road vs. off road so no disagreement at all there. My comment was simply pointing to the fact that the ETron is a crossover whereas the Rivian is not, so there is quite a significant difference in off road capability (among other things) between the two vehicles. This doesn't mean one vehicle is better or worse than the other (there are some great advantages of crossover or car based SUV's) it simply means that the Rivian is significantly better for that particular use case.
Agreed.

I fall into the group of people that will never utilize the R1S to it's full off road potential but still want it because of everything else it brings to the table for typical daily use on the road.

I would be fine with a smaller crossover EV, but right now Rivian is really the only EV option for people wanting a true mid sized SUV with a semi functional 3rd row.

My choice is between a minivan or R1S at this point, and I definitely prefer the R1S!

I know Rivian's target audience initially didn't seem to be minivan owners, but it is what it is.
Sponsored

Last edited: