Sponsored

Any R1S pre-orders hear from guides recently?

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I think it might have been taken down. I can't seem to find it anymore. But it would have been in line with an employee delivery at the beginning of August. Here is a screen shot.

A1AC21E0-6F6B-4BF6-9B4E-72727FB49817.png
I don't know why this bugs me... but it does. If I were an employee (let alone the spouse of an employee) I would NOT be boasting of getting one of the first R1S off the line in a public forum. I get they're excited, but real people have been waiting here for almost FOUR YEARS - yes I'm one of those people.
Sponsored

Last edited:

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
BTW I did stop by the Porsche dealer on my way home to take a look at the Taycan Cross Turismo. Cool car but too low to the ground and the cabin interior is quite cramped. I've decided to scratch this alternative off the list. The MSRP on that car was $125K but the dealer says if you want that car you have to pay $20K extra!

Also no one is immune from supply chain problems. The Porsche dealer had 2 cross turismo's in stock that they could not sell because they are waiting on parts to complete the builds. Crazy times still.
I nearly jumped on one about 4 months ago…at 135 it was at the very top of my comfort level but when i was told the pre-tax-out-the-door prince was 160 i was done. Agreed on the cramped interior but i still love having a Porsche…that and a rivian seemed like a wonderful and useable stable.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Cramped interior in the Taycan? You mean the backseat? The front seats are incredibly comfortable and not really more cramped than the Rivian, just lower down. The front seats in the Rivian aren't nearly as roomy as similar trucks or large suvs, honestly.

You can get a Cross Turismo at MSRP, maybe even 2 or 3% off, you just have to shop around dealerships and be confident. Like all other luxury dealerships they'll try to rip you off but send out a few emails and you'll find a straight salesperson.

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I don't know why this bugs me... but it does. If I were an employee (let alone the spouse of an employee) I would NOT be boasting of getting one of the first R1S off the line in a public forum. I get they're excited, but real people have been waiting here for almost FOUR YEARS - yes I'm one of those people.
While I understand the sentiment your describing honestly I like to get more information rather than less on these vehicles so I don't mind who pipes up about them (employee or non-employee) That being said I think what you are describing is somewhat akin to the feeling of standing in a 'bread line' during the SOVIET era and watching someone ahead of you waving a loaf of bread in your face while you stand there and wait for your turn. :) Except in this case it's a 100k vehicle so slightly different of course.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Do we have info on how long the employee was waiting? For all we know it could be for longer than you and me, and if that's the case I have zero problems with them celebrating on social media. We can only hope Rivian has learned its lesson from letting super-recent employees buy the R1T as part of their testing program.

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Do we have info on how long the employee was waiting? For all we know it could be for longer than you and me, and if that's the case I have zero problems with them celebrating on social media. We can only hope Rivian has learned its lesson from letting super-recent employees buy the R1T as part of their testing program.
If the S and anything like the T, they will deliver >1000 to friends / family before randos like us see them in appreciable quantities.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If the S and anything like the T, they will deliver >1000 to friends / family before randos like us see them in appreciable quantities.
I do not think it will be that many. They had a special program with the R1T for employees that is not available for the R1S. Based on that I think far fewer R1S employee purchases.

jcornish

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E550
I know that some of the early pre-order holders heard from guides several months ago, but I'm curious to know as we come close to the first 'new delivery dates' (August/September) if anyone has actually heard from guides about there R1S delivery?

Note this is for R1S, not for R1T.
I have heard nothing and I placed my order in Dec 2018. Seems like a long time to want for a vehicle and I'm still excited...

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Pretty sure it doesn't come close to standing on a bread line trying to survive - mine is clearly more a first-world problem - but yea that's sort of the gist.

And good point on knowing how long they've been waiting. They would have had to put their order in before day 1 to us folks - which I guess is possible - because that's when I ordered my R1S. I'm fairly confident the wife of an Amazon exec near me who did something similar to me (haha, look what i have.....) likely hadn't even heard of Rivian when I placed my order.

But again, at the end of the day, not a huge deal - just wish they would deal with their good fortune in a more "mature" - less boastful way. That's all.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Are we sure Rivian isn't encouraging social media posts? It proves Ss are getting delivered to SOMEONE

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Cramped interior in the Taycan? You mean the backseat? The front seats are incredibly comfortable and not really more cramped than the Rivian, just lower down. The front seats in the Rivian aren't nearly as roomy as similar trucks or large suvs, honestly.

You can get a Cross Turismo at MSRP, maybe even 2 or 3% off, you just have to shop around dealerships and be confident. Like all other luxury dealerships they'll try to rip you off but send out a few emails and you'll find a straight salesperson.
Great points. Just to add that the charging is great as well as the service.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor
It is helpful to see when you all put down your R1S deposits. And I see a few, like me, who put down deposits in Nov. or Dec. 2018. I did confirm with my Guide, CS and most recently at the Venice event, that my configuration of El Cap Granite/BM is the right combo for early delivery. That said, if someone who put a deposit down after Dec. 2018 gets an R1S before me, I will be very pissed off. I sure hope that does not happen to any deposit holder that has been on this "lack of a" ride for 3 1/2 years.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor

Yes backseat is essentially non-existent - even the sales guy said "its a 2-seater with a large trunk." The front seats were fine - pretty comfortable. They were definitely lower down. Even with the suspension in its highest position, you sit low to the ground. The R1S front seats were as roomy as my Tahoe. Sitting in the back seat of the R1S behind the driver seat was fine too. Plenty of room. The problem is the 3rd row in the R1S, especially if the 2nd row is slightly reclined. The only people that could fit comfortably in the 3rd row of the R1S would be kids or really tiny adults.

In So Cal there are not very many Cross Turismo S's on lots. That MSRP markup is real. The bigger issue I tried to flag is that at the Porsche dealer I visited, they had 2 Cross Turismo's they could not sell because of missing parts as a result of supply chain issues.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
While I understand the sentiment your describing honestly I like to get more information rather than less on these vehicles so I don't mind who pipes up about them (employee or non-employee) That being said I think what you are describing is somewhat akin to the feeling of standing in a 'bread line' during the SOVIET era and watching someone ahead of you waving a loaf of bread in your face while you stand there and wait for your turn. :) Except in this case it's a 100k vehicle so slightly different of course.
Think of it this way, Rivian is saving you from making a very expensive mistake.

Imagine yourself and a bunch of of other “real customers,” taking delivery before Rivian did it’s due diligence on the vehicle. Costly repairs, potential lapses in safety, followed by class action lawsuits; Rivian diligently rolling out their vehicles and software in a manner consistent with risk/liability management protects them as a company, which by extension, protects me, you, and other early adopters from them going bankrupt and leaving us with worthless vehicles that cost us $80,000.
Sponsored