Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

Jose13zara

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity phev

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

So, it seems to work well for regular driving, despite the type of mound that is on there - Magsafe or Gravity. (gravity shown animated above) Keep in mind that this is with a comparably light iPhone 13 Pro - larger phones may have issues, but I don't have one to test.

The view of the phone is obstructed as you can see.

Based on what I see, I've already updated the model to have the 17MM ball 1.5MM closer to the dashboard. That will give the gravity mount just a bit more room and will make everything attached to it slightly more stable.

The 3D model, like all of my other designs, is posted on Thingiverse and is available here. Please keep in mind that this is only for the ball mount itself, and you'll need a actual phone holder to attach to it. Also - this is VERY much an early WORK IN PROGRESS - it might not really work as I haven't tested it thoroughly.

If people are interested in purchasing one, I'm going to do a very small production run of about 25 of these. They'll go for between $10-$12 each on Riviparts.com. (that's my upcoming site that I'll be selling the other small-batch 3D printed items I've designed, like the sunglass holder and Magsafe pad) If you're interested in testing one, the site will be live later in the month.

Feedback is very, very welcome.

More photos:
IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG
I have a few of the ball mounts available to order right now. Also have one of these on the way in as I think it's going to work really well with it.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a few of the ball mounts available to order right now. Also have one of these on the way in as I think it's going to work really well with it.
I was actually looking at this same mount wondering if it would work with your phone ball mount. I guess I'm missing something, does the "ball mount" part on the holder unscrew so it can be tightened around your ball mount instead?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I was actually looking at this same mount wondering if it would work with your phone ball mount. I guess I'm missing something, does the "ball mount" part on the holder unscrew so it can be tightened around your ball mount instead?
Looks like it. There is a pretty standard vent to ball mount then the real thing t he phone attaches to just goes right on top. If you look at the videos, it's pretty well shown.

I'm really hopeful that it will work and allow enough movement to position a phone in a better position.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - I reduced the shipping amount of these as there was a bit of a quality issue with this batch. I've tested each that I've sent out to ensure they hold hight, but they are just a tick under what I hoped they would be. If someone gets one, and it doesn't work, just send me a message on the site - I'll get a replacement to you ASAP.

Additionally, it looks like some of the balls are actually 17.2MM instead of 17, so for a next batch I'll be scaling it up just slightly.

Oh, and THIS might be the best car mount out there:

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0655.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0655.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? AGC_20220727_210039347

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? AGC_20220727_205837141

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

FYI - I reduced the shipping amount of these as there was a bit of a quality issue with this batch. I've tested each that I've sent out to ensure they hold hight, but they are just a tick under what I hoped they would be. If someone gets one, and it doesn't work, just send me a message on the site - I'll get a replacement to you ASAP.

Additionally, it looks like some of the balls are actually 17.2MM instead of 17, so for a next batch I'll be scaling it up just slightly.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

AGC_20220727_210039347.jpg

AGC_20220727_205837141.jpg
I like the location but I would like to see if you can find a Charging mag safe mount that fits like that.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I like the location but I would like to see if you can find a Charging mag safe mount that fits like that.
I haven't seen on out there, and I'm not tremendously interested in doing so. There isn't a good way to wrangle the cable coming from the device when mounted in this location.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I haven't seen on out there, and I'm not tremendously interested in doing so. There isn't a good way to wrangle the cable coming from the device when mounted in this location.
I've got something like this in my car and absolutely love it wonder if the ball is the same 17mm?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I've got something like this in my car and absolutely love it wonder if the ball is the same 17mm?
I think there is a very good chance that it is.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No chance of doing a 1” ball?

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
No chance of doing a 1” ball?
I can do a 1" ball. Can you point me toward what you want to hang off of it as I may need to tweak the design just a bit.

EDIT:

I have it done, but it's ... uh ... huge. I can upload it somewhere, but I'm still not certain if it's going to be remotely close to what people are looking for. As you can see, I really had to shift post holding the ball up so that this guy would be printable.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.53.14 PM

Last edited:

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

AGC_20220727_210039347.jpg

AGC_20220727_205837141.jpg
Your ball mount looks like a great solution, will definitely order when they’re back in stock. Looking forward to seeing what you do for a console organizer as well.

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
Not sure how far the 12v outlet is under the center display but has anyone tried a long neck 12v mount? This one seems too short but it has wireless charging. From pictures it looks like the R1T outlet faces downward so not sure if it can handle the weight of the mount and a phone.

LLJJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Tahoe ltz, Bmw m3, 2 gem lsv’s
Occupation
Real estate
The Magbak mount for Tesla Screens works great with the Magbak case. Very solid connection and charges great. These pick are from test fit without the adhesive so there is very slight gap that won't be there when it's stuck on with the 3M.
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Photo Jul 25, 1 18 05 PM
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Photo Jul 25, 10 23 55 AM

KidThunder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Entertainment
Clubs

Your experience with the navigation is much different than what others are reporting. I'm glad it works well for you
I have had a similar experience, so far the Rivian Nav does a better job of finding charge points along your route, which is currently annoying to do through Google maps. You don't have to do anything, just punch in your destination and go. I also didnt like how android auto basically locks your phone when it's active so this has worked out surprisingly well for me.
Sponsored