Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Awesome work! I was poking around with the various Jowua options last night, plus a collection of other random (and mostly crap) phone mounts that we've sampled, but none were ideal. The 17mm ball-mount is the standard size for most of them.
Sponsored

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I use a Quadlock case, wireless mount and car mount for my travels, and dam near everything (Car, all of my bikes, etc.) and have been very happy with their products. I have their wireless charger mount in my R1T. It nice to not have to plug anything in. I will wire up the power to the R1T this weekend as I have been using the mount alone for a few weeks to determine if its the best solution.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Quadlock Mount 1
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Quadlock Mount 2

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Update:

It works and it's clean.
I'm a fucking wizard, Harry. 🤣

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

The print itself was pretty crap as I had the printer speed turn up to 11 to get it done tonight. I need to tweak the ball just a bit (maybe 1.5mm) to bring it back a little further toward the dash. Both mounts clear the screens, wood, AND the stalk. Both are seemingly as secure as I hoped.

The phone is somewhat obscured by the wheel though - not sure how much that will bother people.

More, including phone in the doc pics, soon as it's 2:00 AM and I need to get to bed.
this option is great!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? ezgif.com-gif-maker (3)

So, it seems to work well for regular driving, despite the type of mound that is on there - Magsafe or Gravity. (gravity shown animated above) Keep in mind that this is with a comparably light iPhone 13 Pro - larger phones may have issues, but I don't have one to test.

The view of the phone is obstructed as you can see.

Based on what I see, I've already updated the model to have the 17MM ball 1.5MM closer to the dashboard. That will give the gravity mount just a bit more room and will make everything attached to it slightly more stable.

The 3D model, like all of my other designs, is posted on Thingiverse and is available here. Please keep in mind that this is only for the ball mount itself, and you'll need a actual phone holder to attach to it. Also - this is VERY much an early WORK IN PROGRESS - it might not really work as I haven't tested it thoroughly.

If people are interested in purchasing one, I'm going to do a very small production run of about 25 of these. They'll go for between $10-$12 each on Riviparts.com. (that's my upcoming site that I'll be selling the other small-batch 3D printed items I've designed, like the sunglass holder and Magsafe pad) If you're interested in testing one, the site will be live later in the month.

Feedback is very, very welcome.

More photos:
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0522.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0523.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0525.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0526.JPG

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
It looks fairly close to the right stalk; do you think there's value in moving everything up a bit? That would mean there's less phone real-estate behind the stalk too, in the case of a magsafe-mounted Pro Max.

Sponsored

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

So, it seems to work well for regular driving, despite the type of mound that is on there - Magsafe or Gravity. (gravity shown animated above) Keep in mind that this is with a comparably light iPhone 13 Pro - larger phones may have issues, but I don't have one to test.

Based on what I see, I've already updated the model to have the 17MM ball 1.5MM closer to the dashboard. That will give the gravity mount just a bit more room and will make everything attached to it slightly more stable.

The 3D model, like all of my other designs, is posted on Thingiverse and is available here. Please keep in mind that this is only for the ball mount itself, and you'll need a actual phone holder to attach to it. Also - this is VERY much an early WORK IN PROGRESS - it might not really work as I haven't tested it thoroughly.

If people are interested in purchasing one, I'm going to do a very small production run of about 25 of these. They'll go for between $10-$12 each on Riviparts.com. (that's my upcoming site that I'll be selling the other small-batch 3D printed items I've designed, like the sunglass holder and Magsafe pad) If you're interested in testing one, the site will be live later in the month.

More photos:
IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG
Is the ballmount the same as on Ram Mounts?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
It looks fairly close to the right stalk; do you think there's value in moving everything up a bit? That would mean there's less phone real-estate behind the stalk too, in the case of a magsafe-mounted Pro Max.
There is - I've already backed it off from the stalk about 1.5MM. That should provide you enough clearance. The ball mount also means that you can swivel the holder left and right a bit if you need even more.

I can potentially back it off more if needed. Hence the need for testers. :)

Is the ballmount the same as on Ram Mounts?
It's not - RAM uses a 1" ball which is really big. This uses a 17MM ball which seems to be what the majority of cell phone mounts that use this type of connecter opt for.

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

There is - I've already backed it off from the stalk about 1.5MM. That should provide you enough clearance. The ball mount also means that you can swivel the holder left and right a bit if you need even more.

It's not - RAM uses a 1" ball which is really big. This uses a 17MM ball which seems to be what the majority of cell phone mounts that use this type of connecter opt for.
I don't have my truck just yet, but that location looks too low and gets blocked by the wheel/stalks.

W/ a 1in RAM ball, you can have varying length arm attachments to get the height you want to extend from the bracket location.

Medium Arm Link

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd also like a 1" ball so I could add RAM arms etc.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

More photos:
IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

Nicely done! Congrats on a working prototype and appreciate you planning to sell it!! Getting the mount will allow you to do all sorts of other options, assuming it can handle the weight of it all.

Do you have other plans to try other designs or attachments? Is it possible to create an arm that raises the height and or moves it left or right of the ball mount to give a better viewing angle?

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox

Quick question...does the model on thingiverse already include the 1.5mm alteration?

Thanks for all your work on this!

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I used the following. The cons are it does pull up in the dash a bit and a bit low (wheel covers bottom half).

But it sits above the stalk with phone and doesn't block either screen.

https://a.co/d/crLRLwE

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? PXL_20220711_131022521

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Quick question...does the model on thingiverse already include the 1.5mm alteration?

Thanks for all your work on this!
Absolutely.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Things would get spicy if there's an incident that triggers the airbag though? That's always been my concern with things like this. You can bay other wheel mounts that attach to the outside radius, but then steering becomes pretty clumsy sometimes.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Things would get spicy if there's an incident that triggers the airbag though? That's always been my concern with things like this. You can bay other wheel mounts that attach to the outside radius, but then steering becomes pretty clumsy sometimes.
Damn. Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks for ruining my really good idea ☹ On to plan B, I guess. Back to the cup holder for my phone. Oh, well. It was only $15.
Sponsored