Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just got around to installing the original part yesterday. With the Belkin Magsafe charger I have, the phone sits pretty much right behind the rim of the steering wheel and mostly isn't visible (I can see the top line of directions if I try to use waze, but nothing else). Maybe I should have used the mount you posted, but I wanted a charging mount.
I used the mount suggested and, while it’s in a perfect location, it doesn’t work well. The ball on the 3D printed mount is slightly too small and the magnetic mount doesn’t quite grip it tightly enough which causes the phone to flop down - especially in warm temperatures. As a result, I’m back to using the phone catapult in front of the charging pad.
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I used the mount suggested and, while it’s in a perfect location, it doesn’t work well. The ball on the 3D printed mount is slightly too small and the magnetic mount doesn’t quite grip it tightly enough which causes the phone to flop down - especially in warm temperatures. As a result, I’m back to using the phone catapult in front of the charging pad.
Contact me through riviparts and I'll send over a slightly larger replacement from this upcoming batch.

Ryanfalke

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Me
Clubs

Suggestion for your mount. Not sure if this would work, but would be great if it did. What if you placed an arm that went straight up towards the ceiling from where the ball currently is located and place the ball at the top of that arm facing toward the back seat? That way, you would be able to place whatever ball mount you wanted onto that elevated ball. With this setup, it would be above the steering wheel, and away from everything else while also being above the center screen as well.

Or does anyone know of an extension arm (like ram mounts like this RAM Mounts RAP-B-200-12U Composite Double Socket Swivel Arm Compatible with RAM B Size 1" Ball Components https://a.co/9agQXzu ) that will fit this ball where it is now located and will telescope toward the ceiling to place a new mount?

I attached a photo of where it would be best I hope this makes sense.

Great work! Thanks!

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 20220817_080934

Last edited:

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Following

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Sponsored

Ryanfalke

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Me
Clubs

https://a360.co/3ceOJeb

I just widened the USB C through which the cable has to pass.

In the version that I printed I had to manually remove some extra material with an xacto knife to allow cable to fit through. I haven't printed this version to validate that it in fact is a perfect fit.

I'm considering adding more material to the ridge along the rear surface to intentionally make contact with the dash to combat some slight shaking that I get on the one I installed. Would essentially involve adding a bit more material in the area highlighted in yellow in image.
1657823508578.png
did anyone get a copy of this to repost?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
In case folks are interested in an existing consumer solution, here's what I've gone with: Car Mount | Peak Design

I'm a huge fan of Peak Design in general and their Mobile line is awesome. They work with MagSafe or any phone with a Peak Design case or universal adapter, and are compatible with the broader ecosystem of motorcycle/mtb/etc. mounts. The magnetic hold is super strong (no problems in a Rivian launch or offroad) and it charges fast. And it looks nice without being ostentatious.

I use a PD case because I also use it on my motorcycle and moutain bike (where it clicks in with ceramic latches for extra security), but it works great with a naked iPhone or any Magsafe-compatible case too.

Oh, and it will work in landscape mode in this position too, if it's easier for your nav or if you're watching Netflix at a charger or something.

A few pics:
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1660857382044

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1660857391868

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1660857463578

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1660857496192

I'll probably remove it as soon as I find a center console pad replacement that works great (hoping someone like Jeda will step in here) since I don't really need to see my phone, I just like the wireless charging and secure location for it to live. It will come in handy for trail maps but that's not ultra urgent for me.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
That's really pretty! How did you route the cable?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
That's really pretty! How did you route the cable?
They include a couple adhesive cable clips - I just tucked it into the little groove between the wood and the A/C vents, which runs along the wood trim down to the steering wheel. Below the steering wheel I put in two cable clips to keep it tight along the run to the 12v outlet below the center display. There's just enough length in the included USB-C cable to make this work without much difficulty.

The run below the steering wheel is pretty much straight across so it would be tacky if that was in any sightlines, but from any reasonable seating position that's all obscured by the dash so I don't mind it too much.

If I was a bit more of a perfectionist I'd probably add a few feet of extension to try and route it a little more tidily under the dash, but as is the only visible bit of cable is right where it pops out of the wood trip to the charger (in my pics).

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

In case folks are interested in an existing consumer solution, here's what I've gone with: Car Mount | Peak Design

I'm a huge fan of Peak Design in general and their Mobile line is awesome. They work with MagSafe or any phone with a Peak Design case or universal adapter, and are compatible with the broader ecosystem of motorcycle/mtb/etc. mounts. The magnetic hold is super strong (no problems in a Rivian launch or offroad) and it charges fast. And it looks nice without being ostentatious.

I use a PD case because I also use it on my motorcycle and moutain bike (where it clicks in with ceramic latches for extra security), but it works great with a naked iPhone or any Magsafe-compatible case too.

Oh, and it will work in landscape mode in this position too, if it's easier for your nav or if you're watching Netflix at a charger or something.

A few pics:
1660857382044.png

1660857391868.png

1660857463578.png

1660857496192.png

I'll probably remove it as soon as I find a center console pad replacement that works great (hoping someone like Jeda will step in here) since I don't really need to see my phone, I just like the wireless charging and secure location for it to live. It will come in handy for trail maps but that's not ultra urgent for me.

I really want to do this too but I am worried about removal/ruining the dash - how confident are you that you're going to be able to get that off without causing permanent damage to the dash from the adhesive?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I really want to do this too but I am worried about removal/ruining the dash - how confident are you that you're going to be able to get that off without causing permanent damage to the dash from the adhesive?
Pretty confident - a little bit of heat from e.g. a hairdryer, and using some floss to pull it back should work. The dash is all vegan leather aka durable plastics, so it should be pretty hardy.

The biggest risk is probably gradual UV fade on the surrounding material leaving a visible "shadow" if you park in the sun often.

That said, your mileage may vary.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

This looks like it might work well...

OQTIQ Wireless Car Mount Charger for Tesla Model 3 / Y Magnetic Phone Holder Fast Charging with Cooling Fan Magnet Charger Compatible with Mag Safe Cases, for iPhone 13/12 Series (with QC 3.0 Adapter) https://a.co/d/4KodSsN

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Screenshot_20220820-173643_Amazon Shoppin

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Just a quick heads up that more of the ball mount I've made will be available starting Tuesday, August 23rd at 1:00 PM Eastern. They will remain available until the order is sold through.

This batch will be an update from the last one - the balls will be slightly larger accommodate for poor tolerances on some of the cell phone mounts. Also, a 1" version will also be available in very, very quantities.

The cost to me has slightly increased so I've had to pass that along. They will cost $13.25 now instead of $12. The 1" model will cost a whopping $14.50, mainly due to the lower quantity.

Shipping charges have been reduced as well per a new volume discount. This should basically offset the slight per-item price increase.

Finally, if you're someone from the last batch who has an issue with your mount, please reach out to me via the contact form on Riviparts.com with your order number and I'll get your replacement in the mail.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
This looks like it might work well...

OQTIQ Wireless Car Mount Charger for Tesla Model 3 / Y Magnetic Phone Holder Fast Charging with Cooling Fan Magnet Charger Compatible with Mag Safe Cases, for iPhone 13/12 Series (with QC 3.0 Adapter) https://a.co/d/4KodSsN

Screenshot_20220820-173643_Amazon Shopping.jpg
This type of mount was discussed elsewhere in this thread. They don’t work in a Rivian because the screen is more integrated into the dash design vs “tacked on ipad”. The corners of the screen aren’t available for the attachment. I have one of these I used in our Mach E and would have loved to use it again in the Rivian. Location-wise it would be perfect.
Sponsored