Sponsored

Lighting or R1T, it all came down to just a few things for me

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Where the R1T falls short IMHO with a scale of - 10 to + 10 as a comparison. It's kind of a Left Brain Right Brain Mix of Opinions so don't try and understand my Logic or Lack of it.

Performance: [10] RT1 Lightning [7] Hang On vs Nice
Handling: [8.5] RT1 Lightning [4.5] Sporty or Boaty
Size [10] RT1 Lightning [10] Sport Truck vs Sporty Work Truck
Ride: [7] RT1 Lightning [10] Good vs Pretty Awesome
Mapping for Directions [6] RT1 Lightning [8] Weak vs Strong
Driver+ BlueCruise [6] RT1 Lightning [8] AM vs Surround Sound
Infotainment Main Screen [4] RTI Lightning [8] Good 1st Attempt vs Experience Shows
Driver Screen [-2] RT1 Lightning [8] Your kidding limited vs Pretty Useful
No SiriusXM [-10] RT1 Lightning [10] Follow Tesla but your not Tesla ? Silly Rivian
Wind Noise [-7] RT1 Lightning [0] 80-90k really vs wow this is quiet
Driveline Clunk [0] RT1 Lightning [-5] None vs Occasionally
A/C [5] RT1 Lightning [10] Strained at Times vs. Real Cool
Window U/D Speed [-5] RT1 Lightning [10] Why am I even thinking about this vs. What? Didn't notice
Phone Dialer on Wrong Side [-5] RT1 Lightning [10] Reach vs. I just like it better
Charging Door [10] RT1 Lightning [-10] Engineered vs Tacky After Thought
Heated & Ventilated Seats. [7] RT1 Lightning [-10] Weak but it's there vs really 80k + and non existant
Rear Seat Room & Comfort. [6] RT1 Lightning [8.5] The extra volume wins here
Seat Adjustments Power. [7] RT1 Lightning [9] Experience wins just easier for me to get comfortable
Front Seat Comfort [7] RT1 Lightning [9] Both are Good but Ford Win's for Longer Drives and Overall
Camera's Views [6] RT1 Lightning [4] Personal Preference, R1T seems more convenient to use
Sound Quality [8] RT1 Lightning [-3] Not even close, worse with HQ source for the Ford
Center Console [0] RT1 Lightning [10] WTF vs Real Room & Fold Out Work Table
Interior Storage Cup Holders [4] RT1 Lightning [8] Experience and Engineering Show here
Gear Tunnel [10] RT1 Lightning [0] Nice idea and execution
Operable Rear Window. [0] RT1 Lightning [5] Without vs With
Charging Settings [6] RT1 Lightning [8] The Ford offers more flexibility for charging levels
Night Visibility [0] RT1 Lightning [1] Slight Edge with Auto High Beams and View
Bed Size Both serve their audience well
Aftermarket [0] RT1 Lightning [7] Small Time Volume vs Huge Customer F150 Base to Draw on
Frunk [7] RT1 Lightning [10] I prefer the Ford Style
Defrost/Defog [7] RT1 Lightning [10] I've had a few disappointments with the RT1 clearing the WS
Cool Factor 2nd Looks [10] RT1 Lightning [5] Enthusiasts Notice the Ford, that's about it.
Sun Roof/Roof [0] RT1 Lightning [10]Ford Wins because of the operability and shade
Range [7.5] RT1 Lightning [6] Edge goes to R1T, the Conserve Mode is sweet..
Drive Modes [8] RT1 Lightning [5] The RT1 Goes up and Down for a solid win

In Spite of some serious and less serious deficits for the R1T I'm keeping it. The comfortable size and superior performance are just a better fit for me. Ford definitely offers a solid choice and it will be interesting to see how they improve it. If I had a long commute, lived in the country or needed a work truck I most likely would be keeping the Ford.

I currently have faith that Rivian will continue to improve and value the input of its customer base. But will what Ford did in substantially less time be a wakeup call to the leadership at Rivian? If I were a betting man I'd bet on Ford to win the next round.
Sponsored

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Great review. Unfortunately I'm most likely going to have to go with the ford

[10]lightning in production [-1,000,000,000] Rivian Can't even give me a delivery window "will hopefully be able to get you a delivery window by the end of the summer"

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Great review. Unfortunately I'm most likely going to have to go with the ford

[10]lightning in production [-1,000,000,000] Rivian Can't even give me a delivery window "will hopefully be able to get you a delivery window by the end of the summer"
I don't think you can go wrong and agree that Ford "should" be able to out produce Rivian. But my Lightning dealer told me that they only expect to deliver 15,000 units this year.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I don't think you can go wrong and agree that Ford "should" be able to out produce Rivian. But my Lightning dealer told me that they only expect to deliver 15,000 units this year.
"only" 15k Fords will likely mean more Lightnings than R1T/S this year. I hope not but that seems to be what happens with only 30 hours a week of production by Rivian.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Where the R1T falls short IMHO with a scale of - 10 to + 10 as a comparison. It's kind of a Left Brain Right Brain Mix of Opinions so don't try and understand my Logic or Lack of it.

Performance: [10] RT1 Lightning [7] Hang On vs Nice
Handling: [8.5] RT1 Lightning [4.5] Sporty or Boaty
Size [10] RT1 Lightning [10] Sport Truck vs Sporty Work Truck
Ride: [7] RT1 Lightning [10] Good vs Pretty Awesome
Mapping for Directions [6] RT1 Lightning [8] Weak vs Strong
Driver+ BlueCruise [6] RT1 Lightning [8] AM vs Surround Sound
Infotainment Main Screen [4] RTI Lightning [8] Good 1st Attempt vs Experience Shows
Driver Screen [-2] RT1 Lightning [8] Your kidding limited vs Pretty Useful
No SiriusXM [-10] RT1 Lightning [10] Follow Tesla but your not Tesla ? Silly Rivian
Wind Noise [-7] RT1 Lightning [0] 80-90k really vs wow this is quiet
Driveline Clunk [0] RT1 Lightning [-5] None vs Occasionally
A/C [5] RT1 Lightning [10] Strained at Times vs. Real Cool
Window U/D Speed [-5] RT1 Lightning [10] Why am I even thinking about this vs. What? Didn't notice
Phone Dialer on Wrong Side [-5] RT1 Lightning [10] Reach vs. I just like it better
Charging Door [10] RT1 Lightning [-10] Engineered vs Tacky After Thought
Heated & Ventilated Seats. [7] RT1 Lightning [-10] Weak but it's there vs really 80k + and non existant
Rear Seat Room & Comfort. [6] RT1 Lightning [8.5] The extra volume wins here
Seat Adjustments Power. [7] RT1 Lightning [9] Experience wins just easier for me to get comfortable
Front Seat Comfort [7] RT1 Lightning [9] Both are Good but Ford Win's for Longer Drives and Overall
Camera's Views [6] RT1 Lightning [4] Personal Preference, R1T seems more convenient to use
Sound Quality [8] RT1 Lightning [-3] Not even close, worse with HQ source for the Ford
Center Console [0] RT1 Lightning [10] WTF vs Real Room & Fold Out Work Table
Interior Storage Cup Holders [4] RT1 Lightning [8] Experience and Engineering Show here
Gear Tunnel [10] RT1 Lightning [0] Nice idea and execution
Operable Rear Window. [0] RT1 Lightning [5] Without vs With
Charging Settings [6] RT1 Lightning [8] The Ford offers more flexibility for charging levels
Night Visibility [0] RT1 Lightning [1] Slight Edge with Auto High Beams and View
Bed Size Both serve their audience well
Aftermarket [0] RT1 Lightning [7] Small Time Volume vs Huge Customer F150 Base to Draw on
Frunk [7] RT1 Lightning [10] I prefer the Ford Style
Defrost/Defog [7] RT1 Lightning [10] I've had a few disappointments with the RT1 clearing the WS
Cool Factor 2nd Looks [10] RT1 Lightning [5] Enthusiasts Notice the Ford, that's about it.
Sun Roof/Roof [0] RT1 Lightning [10]Ford Wins because of the operability and shade
Range [7.5] RT1 Lightning [6] Edge goes to R1T, the Conserve Mode is sweet..
Drive Modes [8] RT1 Lightning [5] The RT1 Goes up and Down for a solid win

In Spite of some serious and less serious deficits for the R1T I'm keeping it. The comfortable size and superior performance are just a better fit for me. Ford definitely offers a solid choice and it will be interesting to see how they improve it. If I had a long commute, lived in the country or needed a work truck I most likely would be keeping the Ford.

I currently have faith that Rivian will continue to improve and value the input of its customer base. But will what Ford did in substantially less time be a wakeup call to the leadership at Rivian? If I were a betting man I'd bet on Ford to win the next round.
Great info - Iā€™m expecting my lightning in a month or so but already leaning toward the smaller size Rivian.

BTW- you forgot the ā€˜fits in my garageā€™ numbers šŸ¤”

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Fords clean sheet of paper 2nd generation 2025 Lightning using the all new TE1 truck architecture should blow the competition out of the water. The current Lightning is just a teaser of whatā€™s to come.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I have the same choice to make. Rivian vs Lightning. Fortunate enough to have them both.

I grew up in the 80's & 90's when big breasted women were the popular thing. As a 20-something at the time, it was always the choice between the blonde with big breasts or the sensible woman who would treat you well for years to come.

I liken the choice between these two similarly. They are two very different trucks. The Ford is practical has heck. Interior storage space and rear seat room is amazing. The center console is amazing. It has not one, but two glove boxes, versus none in the Rivian. Rivian center console is puny in comparison. Ford's frunk is better, but I guess it's offset by the gear tunnel. The Rivian is the shiny new cool truck. The Ford is just a Ford. Certainly more sensible and practical for those who use their vehicles for work rather than just to and from work. The air suspension is a huge plus for me, but Fords onboard 7.2 power output and home battery backup are equally appealing. If the Rivian had the interior function of the Ford, we'd have a near perfect truck. As of now, it appears I'll be keeping the Rivian, despite the Ford being the more sensible choice. Sorry brunettes, but still haven't grown out of my Blonde's phase! LOL. I'm kidding of course, please take no offense!

Rivian R1T R1S Lighting or R1T, it all came down to just a few things for me 1655955922189

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When you need service/warranty do an update also. Iā€™m think Ford has Rivian beat there.
I rate my warranty/service experience with Rivian an A++.

It could not have been better - They provided me Lyft credits, an R1T loaner in less than 24 hours and had the parts for my truck delivered, installed and fixed in less than a week.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I think something that wasn't included was buying experience. I'd give Rivian the edge here. No freaking dealer to deal with.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

When you need service/warranty do an update also. Iā€™m think Ford has Rivian beat there.
Ford offers the standard 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty while Rivian is offering 5 years / 60,000 miles. For EV that won't be cheap to repair, that extra two years and 24,000 miles is nice assurance, assuming Rivian survives for the next 5 years.

Someone mentioned the dealer experience. Having purchased Tesla's for the past 8+ years, it had been a while since I've dealt with a dealer. My Rivian showed up 2 days prior to the Ford. Process was easy and signed a couple of DMV docs at delivery and was done in 5 minutes. For the Ford, despite it being a pre-order with pricing and terms already determined, still took almost two hours at the dealer, having to reject, re-reject and reject again all the added crap they try to sell you (warranty, gap insurance, tire insurance, service plans, etc, etc, etc). Then had to sign some 20+ pages worth of stuff that they had to keep going back and forth on. The sales person was very nice, was just a reminder of what its like to purchase from a dealer versus from the manufacturer direct where almost everything can be done online with no added pressure. MUCH prefer the dealer-less sales transaction.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I thought so to and that was a factor in my Mach E purchase over the MY. Ford reputation, Ford dealers, and, of course, the Mach E is vastly more attractive :). 15 months of Mach E ownership says the faith in Ford service/OTA abilities is currently misplaced. Mach E has many little, and big, annoyances like those found reported here. Enough so that I've lost most of my anxiety about being a Rivian early adopter.

Yes, Ford will make 150k Lightnings next year and the next version should be much better. But today I'm not sure there is a big benefit to the "Ford is gigantic and has been around 100 years" aspect.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Adding to a Ford advantage: Running boards.

For the 70+ crowd, under 6 ft tall., running boards could be a good thing for some of us. I can't bend my right knee very well, so I have to step back and throw my leg in. Next option is knee replacement, or replace with the Lightning. My son-in-law is getting the Lightning and I may have to swap. Not because I want to, but it may be necessary.
Sponsored