Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I used this affordable setup from AMZ. It does engage within the vent path so definitely some risk if you asked them to move around. Clip catches and locks into the lateral rib and is not clamping down on a vane. The stem does poke between adjacent vertical vanes so again, use with your own risk level Has a nice USB-C cable (both ends) that can power from the underdash 12V outlet with a typical adapter. The base unit has a powerful rounded magnet feature that "clicks" firmly to the stem. It gets a good charge into the phone and I confirmed does shutdown when vehicle does.

... and yes, I've named my R1T 'Gorn'

DSCN3640.JPG

DSCN3646.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG
👾🚀
Will you be there on the 11th?

smikk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, e38 BMW 740iS, C7 Audi A6 APR S2
I looked at that from a previous post in this thread. But when I felt behind the center screen where it would mount, it felt like I would be covering up cooling vents behind screen so not sure.
I'm using this mount successfully and haven't felt any excess heat from the back of the screen, seems to work well, but doesn't allow for fast wireless charging.

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm using this mount successfully and haven't felt any excess heat from the back of the screen, seems to work well, but doesn't allow for fast wireless charging.
Nice! I wanted to know about these types of mounts, now to find a faster wireless charging one!

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
My initial placement for the Peak Design mount. I'm always hesitant on using adhesive on soft dashboards, and also worried about the wood. Ideal someone can 3D print a plastic clip-in adapter that clips over the dash. But I realized it's really easy to tuck things underneath the top dash and it holds well. Good view of Waze here, not noticeable to passengers (won't want to muddy the beautiful dash..). Will run/hide wiring to 12v socket this week when I do my dashcam as well.

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg

Did you use the adhesive strip to keep it place under the pad?

Sponsored

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Here is my customized phone mount. Found a flat rubberized plate of which I bent into an "L" shape and wedged it between the top dash panel. Superglued the mag charger onto it and ran the wire down to the 12v adapter socket
IMG_1089.jpg
I wonder if this would work in the same mount configuration Magnetic Wireless Charger for MagSafe Charger Stand for iPhone 13/13 Pro/13 Pro Max/13 mini/12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max/12 Mini Adjustable Foldable Aluminum Sliver Charging Dock Station https://a.co/d/3bCVSpv

Attachments

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
With time it did loosen up slightly. During driving the phone is solid and does not move. I make sure I brace the magmount as I pull the phone off. I've noticed that this is not as efficient as plugging the phone with a wired charger. I don't really add charge during a typical drive, however it maintains the current charge on the phone. I guess you can't have everything.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
My initial placement for the Peak Design mount. I'm always hesitant on using adhesive on soft dashboards, and also worried about the wood. Ideal someone can 3D print a plastic clip-in adapter that clips over the dash. But I realized it's really easy to tuck things underneath the top dash and it holds well. Good view of Waze here, not noticeable to passengers (won't want to muddy the beautiful dash..). Will run/hide wiring to 12v socket this week when I do my dashcam as well.

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
This is exactly what I want to do. Just ordered that mount, thanks!

Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I used this affordable setup from AMZ. It does engage within the vent path so definitely some risk if you asked them to move around. Clip catches and locks into the lateral rib and is not clamping down on a vane. The stem does poke between adjacent vertical vanes so again, use with your own risk level Has a nice USB-C cable (both ends) that can power from the underdash 12V outlet with a typical adapter. The base unit has a powerful rounded magnet feature that "clicks" firmly to the stem. It gets a good charge into the phone and I confirmed does shutdown when vehicle does.

... and yes, I've named my R1T 'Gorn'

DSCN3640.JPG

DSCN3646.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG
👾🚀
Nice matte screen protectors too! 👀

smikk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thought I'd share a few pics with the wireless chargers mounted and cables routed...

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 20220614_131755

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 20220614_131821

And here's a pic of where the CLA wires were tapped to power the wireless chargers (blue light is the usb power source):

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 20220615_230106

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

smikk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That looks great! can you send a few more pics of where you tapped into the 12v and ran the wires up/out behind screen?

It looks like you used the Jowua wireless chargin mount...
https://www.jowua-life.com/collecti...sible-foldaway-car-mount-with-magsafe-charger
Thanks and sorry, didn't see your post until after everything got buttoned back up - I'll update if I can find any other pics from under the dash...

Yeah, it's the Jowua charging mount behind the screen and then just an amazon wireless mag safe charger on top of the dash.
Sponsored

Last edited: