R1T bed and Tonneau cover concerns

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just got off a chat with Christine and very concerned about the location of the tie down points in the R1T bed.

I've always been planning to haul Mountain bikes and Dirt bikes in the bed of the R1T. Most pickup trucks have multiple tie down points in the corners of the bed, the R1T does not as they are on the bed floor and not located at the extreme front (or rear) of the bed.

If you've hauled bikes or motorcycles you know you need tie down points at the back of the cab (front of the bed) to pull the bike against the front of the bed to 'lock' in the bike. This is even more important with motorcycles as you are compressing the forks.

Rivian has decided for some reason not to install anchors or mounting points in the corners of the bed and I don't want to have to go drilling into the bed of my brand new $75K vehicle to add something that should already be there. Anyone else looked into this?

Also, I'm concerned with ordering the LE that the powered Tonneau cover will not retract all the way so it doesn't impinge on the length of the bed. Again, if you haul bikes or motorcycles you need a flat vertical surface (front of the bed) to lock the wheel into a chock or just the bed. If the powered tonneau cover doesn't fully retract to allow this that's a problem. The bed is already short and even subtracting 3-6" creates an issue. I've had other pickup trucks and had to remove the cover entirely or flip it up to avoid this.

If it doesn't retract all the way (I can't see how it can) it makes no sense for me to order the LE. I'm also wondering if the manual tonneau cover can be stored in the gear cubby...??

Hoping Rivian can add some simple tie down points to the bed corners. Seems like a no brainer.

Any one else have these concerns?

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed and Tonneau cover concerns Image 11-19-20 at 12.42 PM (1)
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed and Tonneau cover concerns Image 11-19-20 at 12.42 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
If you view the photos of the bed on the updated website, you can see that there are tie downs along the lower corners front and back. Also note that they changed the rivian logo to the name and the wheel wells are shorter. if this is a photo of the powered tonneau, it appears to be pretty streamlined. also note the missing cross bar fittings in the bed
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed and Tonneau cover concerns 1605819237558

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thank you!!

Christine did not send these updated shots!

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer

New F150 has some smart ideas - Tailgate with tie downs is nice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I'm also wondering if the manual tonneau cover can be stored in the gear cubby...??
This is explicitly covered on the website:

Our manual tonneau is standard on base vehicles and is easily removed in four lightweight panels that store in the Gear Tunnel. The panels are also designed to lock together to double as a camp table.

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
Anyone know what the tonneau cover is made out of for each option? Are they vinyl? Do we know how much space the powered option will take out of the bed when rolled up?

Have these questions out to Rivian...I'll post whatever I find out.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Anyone know what the tonneau cover is made out of for each option? Are they vinyl? Do we know how much space the powered option will take out of the bed when rolled up?

Something of a composite tht won't warp in extreme heat. Vehicles are tested in areas like Death Valley and other desert regions for a reason. I hope they left one sitting in the extreme heat for a few days when testing in Arizona.

Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite

I have asked a couple of times on the space question. The firs time I was told that they didn’t have that information yet, the second time I was told that it rolled up flush the storage housing in the front of the bed. That would be great but most slide-in covers I have seen don’t go quite flush to the housing so I would be surprised if that actually the case.

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have asked a couple of times on the space question. The firs time I was told that they didn’t have that information yet, the second time I was told that it rolled up flush the storage housing in the front of the bed. That would be great but most slide-in covers I have seen don’t go quite flush to the housing so I would be surprised if that actually the case.
Agreed. I've seen one picture that I think shows the powered option and it looks like it goes into a cavity in the front of the bed (and it really seems like it would have to be vinyl). I wonder on the manual option if this becomes additional storage, or if it adds to the space in the bed. Guess the real answer is to have some more patience and find out in a few months hopefully.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed and Tonneau cover concerns 20201126_113221

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Agreed. I've seen one picture that I think shows the powered option and it looks like it goes into a cavity in the front of the bed (and it really seems like it would have to be vinyl).
Most motorized covers are made of rigid slats, and some are covered in vinyl (but not all vinyl).

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Here's the response I got....not any real new information...really just wait and find out as expected.

Great questions about the tonneau cover and I'm happy to help. Our powered tonneau cover, which is part of the Launch Edition and Adventure equipment packages, integrates into the truck and slides automatically with a touch of a button - it rolls into a compact space right behind the cab. It can also be operated remotely through our app.

Our manual tonneau is standard on Explore Package vehicles and is easily removed in four lightweight panels that store in the Gear Tunnel. The panels are also designed to lock together to double as a camp table!

Both the manual and powered tonneau are weatherproof and lockable. We'll be sharing more details on materials and what weight they can bear closer to delivery, so stay tuned!

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
I wonder how this powered cover would work in a place with extreme winters. I'm from Canada and this might be a major concern/factor. Does anyone have experience to share. I've never owned a pick-up truck but have been debating on changing my pre order from an R1S to R1T.

Thanks
Sponsored