Delivery Canceled and Vin no long available

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
SO...... just got a call from my guide. My delivery that was set for Monday may 16, 2022 is canceled. My Vehicle with assisted VIN is no longer available.

I'm am speechless... but reading other's peoples experience I had prepare myself for this outcome.

I have already wired them 55K and I already took out a $28000 dollar loan. I will now need to go back to my credit union and update everything along with my insurance.

They did have a Rivian Blue, with 20 and off-road available... my original config (white, 21 road, no off-road package) ... I feel a bit of a bait and switch.

I told them I'll take that Rivian Blue for the same cost of my original config. or I want my truck by end of next Friday or I'm walking. I know people on this forum will be you should be happy you're getting your truck... but its the way you do business and how you deal... and I deal in good faith.

I am super disappointed speechless... funny thing is I'm going to look like a clown in front of all my friends and co workers who warned me this will happen I even posted it on my instagram and Facebook. lol and there are friends who say fake news....

So I'm 55K Down from my bank account.... paying interest on 28000K + Paying Insurance cost... and I have to put faith in them to delivery....

I think I'm walking.... tbh.
Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did you sign the Vehicle Purchase Agreement (Step 6)? Did Rivian sign it?

Iā€™m not sure how they could ā€œcancelā€ your assigned VIN if they already contracted to sell you the specific vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivian_panda

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
Did you sign the Vehicle Purchase Agreement (Step 6)? Did Rivian sign it?

Iā€™m not sure how they could ā€œcancelā€ your assigned VIN if they already contracted to sell you the specific vehicle.

yup all signed all 8 steps done. money taken out of my bank account.

Sponsored

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd just wait it out. They will put you to the front of the production line and it should only be a few weeks tops.

NeuronBasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, VW Taos
Clubs

Almost the same thing happened to me last week. I only got through the first 7 steps, but Rivian has had my $80k since the 5th. I added it to my insurance, have the signed and counter-signed purchase agreement, and so on.

Apparently my truck was on a truck to the delivery center that got turned around due to some problems, and the vehicle was no longer available to be sold. No idea on what the actual problem(s) were. I'm told the replacement is "at the end of the production line" and my guide will have another update on the status tomorrow.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would be frustrated too.

However, we all signed up to a not yet proven company on a dream and a pretty compelling product. I wouldn't walk because of this personally. I would be pissed. Take the Dale Carnegie approach and let it sit until Monday. Life could be worse. Being a sales engineering manager in the Bay Area sounds like a pretty damn sweet gig.

I know you're out a ton of cash and lots of planning might seem down the drain. I am very thankful for everyone who did sign up early- think of this they're still beta testing everybody, and apparently having some serious issues.. Wishful thinking that when my spot comes around hopefully some of these wrinkles are ironed out, but even I am trying to mentally prepare for problems (This will be my only vehicle, not in the family but for just me)

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I am not sure how ya'll can walk away after waiting for so long. Even if you got it, the truck can break down and be out at the service center and you'll still be paying for insurance and loan. Its not that different. I know cause my XC40 is 28 days out of service for warranty work. 2 more days and I can start lemon law on it.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

The fact a formal Recall recently happened must be playing into this

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Your truck probably was discovered to have damage that prevented it from being sold / delivered. Sucks for sure.
Yeah, I am sure there is a very good reason why they're not selling that particular VIN.

But that is no excuse for not figuring out some way to make things right. At a minimum, Rivian should be paying interest to people who have paid in full but do not receive their vehicle within a reasonable time. A few days delay is no big deal, but at some point there needs to be compensation.

I wonder how understanding Rivian would be if the situation was reversed. If the OP had his truck and had not paid for it, and just told Rivian I'll pay you at some point but I cannot tell you when. Would Rivian say oh that's fine?

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No the point... as a business you operate in good faith. I don't deal in bad faith.
Okay, then why are you posting here? Seems like you are acting in bad faith to me.

Reactions: Guy

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

new company or not, its not excusable. first they got $1000 from us, interest free. now they have your money and youre paying the interest.

Almost the same thing happened to me last week. I only got through the first 7 steps, but Rivian has had my $80k since the 5th. I added it to my insurance, have the signed and counter-signed purchase agreement, and so on.

Apparently my truck was on a truck to the delivery center that got turned around due to some problems, and the vehicle was no longer available to be sold. No idea on what the actual problem(s) were. I'm told the replacement is "at the end of the production line" and my guide will have another update on the status tomorrow.
sounds like yours could be related to the airbag recall

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Rivian should authorize like $1,000 credit to spend on accessories when situations like this arise.
Sponsored