Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Overview

Today, we drove from south Seattle over Snoqualmie, Blewett, and Stevens passes, charged with EA and EVGo, and found a little mud, ice, and snow for good measure.

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 8.03.49 PM

We drove 289 miles, generally at the speed limit (70 on I-90, a bit slower on the secondary highways). We left home with 69% state of charge (SoC) and 188 miles on the range meter.

No significant wind, mostly sunny, temps in the 40s ish. A little rain as we descended Stevens on the way home and rainier once we were in the lowlands.

Range

Our first leg was 139 miles to Leavenworth via I-90 and US-97 in All-Purpose mode. The Rivian nav initially said we would arrive with 39 miles on the range meter, but after a few miles at freeway speeds, it adjusted this projection down to 28 miles. After the initial adjustment, it moved between 28 and 30; and we arrived in Leavenworth reading 29 miles on the range meter.

So 139 miles of driving, probably half at 70mph, including two mountain passes and ending 1100' higher than starting, used 159 miles from the range meter.

From Leavenworth, we drove up to Lake Wenatchee and found an icy, muddy dirt road. We didn't take detailed interval logs here, but it is worth noting that when we returned to the highway, our efficiency had dropped to below 0.8 miles per kWh. We were going slow, stopping for photos, running the dogs, and running the climate the whole time. But yikes.

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T 20220312-DSC_7700

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T 20220312-DSC_7695

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T 20220312-DSC_7685

Once back on the pavement, we decided we'd try Conserve mode, and we started interval logging: 43% SoC, 126 miles on the range meter, and 107 miles to home. Rivian nav tells us we should charge, albeit briefly, so we target the EVGo at the Bellevue Whole Foods 97 miles away and head out. This time, Rivian nav said we'd arrive at EVGo with 39 miles of range remaining. It continued insisting on this even when we were only a couple miles away and the range meter had dipped below. We arrived with 34 miles on the range meter.

97 miles of driving, mostly at 65mph, one mountain pass, some rain (increasing in intensity toward the end of the drive), and ending about 1800' lower than starting used 92 miles from the range meter.

We plugged in, ran in to grab some food, came out, and drove the rest of the way home. This was just a top-up to keep out of the bottom 10% on the final stretch.

My general impression is no big surprises here. The range-meter-on-arrival estimate from the navigation app is pretty much spot on. Aside from that, going 70, trending up hill, and crossing passes really wasn't that big of a hit on the first leg.

Charging

We used two DC chargers for our trip. The first was the EA in Leavenworth. We already have EA accounts (set them up for the free charging when we bought the ID.4). Plug in, tap, it went. No drama.

We arrived at this charger with a 10% state of charge and stayed for 30 minutes, adding 119 miles and 43% SoC. Peak rate was 194kW.

Here's our graph of Charge Rate (kW) vs State of Charge (%):

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 8.41.02 PM

Session info from EA: 30 minutes, 19 seconds; 66kWh @ $0.43/kWh = $28.38.

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T 20220312-DSC_7683

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T 20220312-DSC_7684

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T 20220312-DSC_7680

Not impressed. 30 minutes for 119 miles during the optimal part of the curve is far short of 140 miles in 20 minutes (I supposed you can adjust to 85% of 140 for the ATs, but that still means I'd expect my 119 miles in 20 minutes not 30 -- it takes 50% longer than the marketing text promises). I really hope this improves as they gather data and confidence.

Our second stop was just a top-up at EVGo. Their iOS app did not make account creation easy (no password manager integration, no quick sign in with an existing account, weird redirect through web page to set up payment method). We eventually just paid with a card on the reader (initially, this didn't work, but the app setup took so long, we tried it again). We didn't gather detailed charge curve data this time because we were hungry. We left after just 5-10 minutes and had lots more miles on the range meter. More than enough to arrive home with plenty to spare.

Driver+ and Adaptive Cruise Control

It has potential. It does much better with detecting the actual lane lines than our ID.4 (and not getting confused every time there's a seal seam or they're faded or whatever). I think we're going to have to use it more before I have a whole lot to say about it.

One thing we tested is what happens if you don't touch the wheel. After progressively getting more insistent, it will begin stopping the vehicle (at this point, I intervened because I was on an active freeway). After getting that level of scolding, Driver+ will not re-engage until your next drive. :oops:

We did spend a fair bit of time today on secondary highways, which meant lots of time in adaptive cruise control without Driver+ support. There were several unpleasant phantom braking events. In curves, the vehicle sometimes slows down then speeds back up, seemingly in response to sharpness of steering input. Nowhere near traction limits or anything. We couldn't quite figure out which curves would and wouldn't cause it to behave that way. It would be one thing if it just disengaged ACC because you were near stability limits. But it is a bit odd/surprising/unnatural how it just slows down a bit then speeds right back up.

Drive Modes

The biggest finding today is that in Conserve mode, with the lowest ride height setting, pot holes and bumpy pavement are unpleasant. Do not recommend the lowest setting unless you're on smooth, well-kept roadways. We eventually decided it wasn't worth it and raised up to standard height while remaining in conserve mode.

At crawl speeds below 5mph in off-road mode, the visualization changes and shows the vehicle proximity sensors.

A big miss in drive modes is that there isn't a snow mode with low- and no-regen options on throttle lift. It would be nice if the off-road modes also had low- and no- options. I wouldn't want these options in all-purpose by any means, but there are road conditions where they would be warranted.

Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T IMG_6800
Rivian R1T R1S Cascade passes day trip, range, charging, and driver+ reports in R1T IMG_6846
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Bravo! What an amazing detailed write up and doggos pics to boot. Thank you for the great analysis!

Any idea on the EA units you used? 350kw ? 500amps?

Peak rate of 194kw guessing the newer unit but yes that curve needs to be improved upon .

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
duuuuuuuuuude. We went to Leavenworth (in our ID.4) last night and drove back to Renton today! So bummed I didn't see your truck on the way back!

This is a great write-up. Thanks!

Last edited:

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
The 66 kW you were getting definitely sounds like a charger issue. I was at an EA charger where it was rated at 150kW. Every time I plugged into this one charger, it would max out at 48kW. After a few sessions on this one charger (I live close by to this charger and this one unit was easiest to park into), I thought I'd try another one out of the 3 at that location. Bam! I instantly got 152kW on the new one. Some of these chargers are not kept up well or don't work to full potential. I've been at 350kW chargers and are limited to 150kW as well even thought I could go higher

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Bravo! What an amazing detailed write up and doggos pics to boot. Thank you for the great analysis!

Peak rate of 194kw guessing the newer unit but yes that curve needs to be improved upon .
It's a brand new Signet install.

I'm actually surprised @timesinks was able to get that out of it. I was there last night and jumped bewteen chargers. The 350kw charger only kicked out 40kw for me, and the 150s only gave me 60 when I should have been able to get about 120kw with my ID.4.

I'll be curious to see how consistent the R1T's curve is (and if the leavenworth charger is just a pain in the ass, I actually reported it to EA last night). I know we've seen 120kw @ 70% from a session that was pulling 196kw @48%, so I'm a little surprised how quickly it dropped off when you successfully pulled ~200kw that low.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Overview

Today, we drove from south Seattle over Snoqualmie, Blewett, and Stevens passes, charged with EA and EVGo, and found a little mud, ice, and snow for good
Nice detailed write up. Thanks for letting us ride with you.

OP
OP
timesinks

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter

We plugged into a 350kW station.

The 66 kW you were getting definitely sounds like a charger issue. I was at an EA charger where it was rated at 150kW. Every time I plugged into this one charger, it would max out at 48kW. After a few sessions on this one charger (I live close by to this charger and this one unit was easiest to park into), I thought I'd try another one out of the 3 at that location. Bam! I instantly got 152kW on the new one. Some of these chargers are not kept up well or don't work to full potential. I've been at 350kW chargers and are limited to 150kW as well even thought I could go higher
It maxed out at 184kw and worked its way down as SoC went up. I do wish both sides provided more detailed diagnostics though so we'd at least know who to blame.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Wow! What a “coincidence”, you both really went above and beyond for me on that trip request ? Thank you!

Looks like getting to Leavenworth I’ll want to start around 80%. Great data point! Do you recall what your SOC was at the top of Snoqualmie pass or Easton? I always assumed round trip to there from home would be doable.

I’m a bit worried about the charge curve. 300mi range is absolutely adequate —if that 20-80% charge is quick. Like everyone else has said, this really needs some improvement.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It maxed out at 184kw and worked its way down as SoC went up. I do wish both sides provided more detailed diagnostics though so we'd at least know who to blame.
I hope we'll be able to pull the data with an OBD reader for this exact reason. Suuuper helpful to know if the battery temp is just too hot/cold. That EA station specifically was the problem for me yesterday for whatever reason.

OP
OP
timesinks

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Wow! What a “coincidence”, you both really went above and beyond for me on that trip request ? Thank you!

Looks like getting to Leavenworth I’ll want to start around 80%. Great data point! Do you recall what your SOC was at the top of Snoqualmie pass or Easton? I always assumed round trip to there from home would be doable.

I’m a bit worried about the charge curve. 300mi range is absolutely adequate —if that 20-80% charge is quick. Like everyone else has said, this really needs some improvement.
Do bear in mind conditions were quite favorable today with no rain or snow to speak of. And it wasn't all that cold either.

That said, a 5-10 minute top up in Snoqualmie Issaquah or North Bend in poor conditions would probably be all you need to get all the way into Leavenworth comfortably.

And yeah, as of right now, 20-80% isn't looking all that quick.

For all the crap we give about Rivian not sharing their charge curve, I'm not sure they even know their charge curve. It seemed like the vehicle charging display kept updating the "estimated time to target SoC" based on the instantaneous draw, so it was bouncing all over the place.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
For all the crap we give about Rivian not sharing their charge curve, I'm not sure they even know their charge curve. It seemed like the vehicle charging display kept updating the "estimated time to target SoC" based on the instantaneous draw, so it was bouncing all over the place.
Pure speculation, but may it jumping all over the place is a sign that the inconsistency in the charge rate was on EA's side, so the R1T estimating time to completion was responding to the charger not giving what it was asking.

Or their software isn't currently up to par. I'm sure we'll find out this week with Kyle getting the R1T to test though!

GangWarily

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
Holy moly I've been lurking on Rivian Forums for some time now but I *had* to make an account to thank you for this info. I also live in Renton and Leavenworth is somewhere I go for fun somewhat often so I *loved* getting this info. Thanks so much!

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
It's a brand new Signet install.

I"m actually surprised @timesinks was able to get that out of it. I was there last night and jumped bewteen chargers. The 350kw charger only kicked out 40kw for me, and the 150s only gave me 60 when I should have been able to get about 120kw with my ID.4.

I'll be curious to see how consistent the R1T's curve is (and if the leavenworth charger is just a pain in the ass, I actually reported it to EA last night). I know we've seen 120kw @ 70% from a session that was pulling 196kw @48%, so I'm a little surprised how quickly it dropped off when you successfully pulled ~200kw that low.
Thanks for reporting it to EA! Reporting bad sessions is one of the best ways to get EA to make improvements.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for reporting it to EA! Reporting bad sessions is one of the best ways to get EA to make improvements.
No problem. Their customer service is great. Their QA... not so much. At some point they'll get their speed reporting fixed in the app (the finally fixed the summaries), and hopefully they can bring back the station feedback that said what the car was requesting (but have it work).

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
That charging curve is a bit concerning. Hopefully Rivian improves it with an ota update soon.
Sponsored