First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I reached out to Rivian and got an Email back on Sept 23rd 2020 regarding buying Rivian Gear, when we might see a Configurator and financing.

Short version is the configurator was promised by the end of 2020 along with delivery date windows and financing options from Rivian financing partners.

Regarding a gear store she stated "just around the corner"

Full notes below but it looks like Christmas could be fun.

Side Note: I am very impressed with the tone and the way they are messaging.

Hi Jeremy!

Thanks for your support and for being part of the Rivian community! The Long Way Up is an exciting show and, like you, gets me even more excited as we get closer to delivery and having people behind the wheel. While we are still working through final details, I would like to offer some insight on your questions.

1. Financing Options- Rivian will have flexible financing options available for customers. You will be able to finance a Rivian at the point of purchase through Rivianā€™s banking relationships.

2. Configurator- the configurator will be launched by the end of this year and will allow you to select your favorite color, trim, battery pack and more for your R1T! It will also give you more detail on pricing for the package you choose as well as your delivery window. It will also allow you to choose financing options at that time.

3. Rivian Store- we would love for you to be walking around in Rivian swag! Our Rivian store is also something currently being finalized and will be launching just around the corner. I am looking forward to a hat myself!

As always, if you have further questions we can help with please let us know!

Your fellow adventuror,
Kristina
Sponsored

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
Hopefully "the configurator will be launched by the end of this year and will allow you to select your favorite color, trim, battery pack and more for your R1T!" also includes the R1S customers.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
The Language about the Configurator keeps changing. So now it looks like Dec 2020 which could easily slip to Feb 2021. I hope they are not going to announce Production delays again. I think everyone is anxious to see what the real cost with Options will be, exactly when Vehicles will be delivered based on individual configurations and where people stand on the Wait List.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

At this point, it's a race between the Rivian configurator release and Mustang Mach-E First Edition delivery. Rivian will still be in the running if they can get the configurator out first, but I'm not waiting around for it if my alternative shows up before then.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Considering just how many times the configurator has been delayed, when it finally does come out, it had better be the most god-damn amazing configurator the world has ever seen.

Like at this point, Iā€™m expecting a holodeck, but for designing a car

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
For those who have commented on the configurator, don't you think the delay is due to production? Its not the actual configurator that is difficult, but more likely the delivery time frames, final pricing tweaks, and other things that are dependent on the production start date?

Personally I would rather wait on the configurator, odds are the economy is going to continue on the path its on and Rivian might need to lower its price to reflect that. Money is basically free with rates as they are, and those are likely to stay low. Finally as more competitors are launching and coming to market that could drive the price down as well. We already saw what the Cybertruck did to the Rivian price...

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
For those who have commented on the configurator, don't you think the delay is due to production? Its not the actual configurator that is difficult, but more likely the delivery time frames, final pricing tweaks, and other things that are dependent on the production start date?
Agreed, I would rather wait to have an accurate configurator. Can you imagine them releasing a configurator with no pricing? Or options for which they do not yet have suppliers?

Patience.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Oh, I would 100% rather wait and have a fully accurate configurator.

But after so many delays, ya gotta just sit back and laugh about it. Jokes are good for the soul

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Personally I would rather wait on the configurator, odds are the economy is going to continue on the path its on and Rivian might need to lower its price to reflect that. Money is basically free with rates as they are, and those are likely to stay low. Finally as more competitors are launching and coming to market that could drive the price down as well. We already saw what the Cybertruck did to the Rivian price...
Further price reductions would be reall nice. Rivian got a lot of folks excited back in 2018 because quite frankly there wasn't really anything else on the market like an R1T, and barely a handful of competitors to the R1S at similar or higher price points (Model X, e-tron, I-pace). By 2021 though that middle of the pack will look much heftier with the Model Y, Mach-E, the newly announced VW ID.4 and others. Rivian will rightfully argue they have competitive advantages but I reckon they will still lose people to those other options purely on price.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Further price reductions would be reall nice. Rivian got a lot of folks excited back in 2018 because quite frankly there wasn't really anything else on the market like an R1T, and barely a handful of competitors to the R1S at similar or higher price points (Model X, e-tron, I-pace). By 2021 though that middle of the pack will look much heftier with the Model Y, Mach-E, the newly announced VW ID.4 and others. Rivian will rightfully argue they have competitive advantages but I reckon they will still lose people to those other options purely on price.
Tesla has seen this within their own company as Model 3 sales cannibalized Model S sales and Model Y sales cannibalized Model X sales. There were a lot of people willing to stretch their budget to get an EV in those categories when the 3 and Y didn't exist. Now that they don't need to do that, the S and X sales suffer.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
At this point, it's a race between the Rivian configurator release and Mustang Mach-E First Edition delivery. Rivian will still be in the running if they can get the configurator out first, but I'm not waiting around for it if my alternative shows up before then.
Is anyone in their right mind really cross shopping a Rivian and Mach e? The model Y, sure, because its better than a Mach e and essentially the same car but a year earlier to the party. But the r1t and r1s will be the first off road capable production Ev's on the market, and it looks like the electric f150, cybertruck, hummer ev, etc won't arrive until 6-12 months after.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Is anyone in their right mind really cross shopping a Rivian and Mach e? The model Y, sure, because its better than a Mach e and essentially the same car but a year earlier to the party. But the r1t and r1s will be the first off road capable production Ev's on the market, and it looks like the electric f150, cybertruck, hummer ev, etc won't arrive until 6-12 months after.
I'm sure there a number of people that are not buying for off road capability but still looking for an electric SUV/Crossover. Many will also be looking at the ID.4 as well.
They are smaller (trending towards "good" in my book), less powerful (also not a negative for me), and generally shorter range (not ideal). But they come with a smaller price tag (a good thing).

There are many, many factors that go into a vehicle decision and sometimes that results in a surprising variety of vehicles on someones short list. Several years ago I was helping a lady at our Auto Show EV Showcase and she had very specific criteria on a list she prepared ahead of time and brought to the show. Surprisingly, price was not a major consideration but anything with factory window tint was eliminated. She wound up with something like the Audi A3 and Niro PHEV as her final two (she was not willing to go full electric)

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I'm sure there a number of people that are not buying for off road capability but still looking for an electric SUV/Crossover. Many will also be looking at the ID.4 as well.
They are smaller (trending towards "good" in my book), less powerful (also not a negative for me), and generally shorter range (not ideal). But they come with a smaller price tag (a good thing).

There are many, many factors that go into a vehicle decision and sometimes that results in a surprising variety of vehicles on someones short list. Several years ago I was helping a lady at our Auto Show EV Showcase and she had very specific criteria on a list she prepared ahead of time and brought to the show. Surprisingly, price was not a major consideration but anything with factory window tint was eliminated. She wound up with something like the Audi A3 and Niro PHEV as her final two (she was not willing to go full electric)
I'm not a Tesla fanboy by any means, but I appreciate a quality company when I see one.

Sure, smaller is better (and more efficient due to lighter weight) and the world is trending towards a crossover look ("I have a minivan but I don't have a minivan"), less powerful... sure, a model s p100d may be overpowered, much less the current war between Tesla and lucid with obscene power levels, but I'd hardly consider a rav4 plugin or model y AWD "overpowered".

I guess it stems from being pragmatic instead of focused on not going full electric in that case. Eliminating everything with a factory window tint seems quite silly, like you could probably try to special order without tint or spend a couple hundred to get the factory tint removed if its THAT big an issue. If price were not a consideration and range anxiety is a factor, the Niro and a3 would not be on my radar, to me it sounds like that woman would be best served with a rav4 plugin or a Volvo XC90 phev, not a full Bev.

I still fail to see how the Rivian r1t or r1s in any way competes with the Mache e. its quite a bit more expensive, roomier, and isn't a small econobox hatchback but an actual midsize suv.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm not a Tesla fanboy by any means, but I appreciate a quality company when I see one.

Sure, smaller is better (and more efficient due to lighter weight) and the world is trending towards a crossover look ("I have a minivan but I don't have a minivan"), less powerful... sure, a model s p100d may be overpowered, much less the current war between Tesla and lucid with obscene power levels, but I'd hardly consider a rav4 plugin or model y AWD "overpowered".

I guess it stems from being pragmatic instead of focused on not going full electric in that case. Eliminating everything with a factory window tint seems quite silly, like you could probably try to special order without tint or spend a couple hundred to get the factory tint removed if its THAT big an issue. If price were not a consideration and range anxiety is a factor, the Niro and a3 would not be on my radar, to me it sounds like that woman would be best served with a rav4 plugin or a Volvo XC90 phev, not a full Bev.

I still fail to see how the Rivian r1t or r1s in any way competes with the Mache e. its quite a bit more expensive, roomier, and isn't a small econobox hatchback but an actual midsize suv.
The lady looking for the PHEV was several years ago, and the Model 3 and Model Y were not options. Nor were the Volvo PHEVs, RAV4 Prime, Crosstrek, BMWs offerings, etc. The Outlander PHEV fit nearly all of her wish list with the exception of the window tint.
The point was that people will have different "hot buttons" and my (or your) logic/desires/criteria does not necessarily play into it.
If someone is looking for an AWD SUV style EV that seats 5, the Mach-e, ID.4, Model X, Model Y, R1S, e tron, i Pace, and XC40 Recharge all fit that bill. Some might even consider the Polestar 2. That is where all of those vehicles will be cross shopped and different features of each will attract a different segment of buyers.

Anyone looking to do much Off Road will likely be drawn to the Rivian. If you are looking to go skiing with 3 friends, it opens up a different set of possibilities. If you have a smaller garage or parking area, the Rivian and Model X become problematic. If your budget is $40K, the options are further limited.
So yes, all the AWD drive EV options will be cross shopped at this point. A few years ago the options were limited to the Tesla S/X. We are seeing more and more choices and that trend is likely to continue.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I'm sure there a number of people that are not buying for off road capability but still looking for an electric SUV/Crossover.
Iā€™m one of those people. I definitely want a fully electric SUV with seating for 6-7. I was really hoping for the Lincoln/Rivian SUV project, but when that was scrapped, I placed a deposit on the R1S. The only alternative Iā€™m seeing, in the near future, is the Volvo XC90 Recharge BEV coming out in 2022. My off roading adventures are way behind me, but Iā€˜m excited about Rivian and what they have to offer.
Sponsored

Last edited: