Sponsored

would you buy R1T again as of 3/25/2024?

abct

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, Wrangler 4xE, cherokee
Occupation
physician
I placed deposit in 5/23 and now I'm able to take delivery now. I have 5 months left on gladiator lease so I have time to wait.
-For R1T owners, would you buiy again? Any buyers remorse? I need a capable off road truck that can carry my fly fishing and ski gear, and kayaks when needed. (gear tunnel can hold skis and fishing gear). I need at least 10" ground clearance and 350 miles range. I'll rarely have to go much more than 150 miles at a time, but don't want to ever have range anxiety so I want at least 350 mile range to accomodate for battery losses in cold or hot weather. Rivian seems to be the only choice for me.
-Any concerns about the tanking stock price? If the company goes belly up, who will service the cars?
-I live 2 hours from the nearest service center for at least another year; is that a major concern?
-I heard there will be an overabundance of high end EVs this summer; any thoughts the R1T prices will drop further?
-I'd be looking at the dual motor or performance dual motor with large battery.
-looks like road tires give better mileage; are those tires ok for going off road in snow or mud?
Many thanks,
A
Sponsored

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes I would, I would probably get the dual motor if I had to do it again because the quad is overkill for me. I donā€™t care about the resale values so Iā€™m probably not the right person to ask there. I personally think RIVN will be fine long term, but I donā€™t have a crystal ball. I live about 1.5 hrs away from the service center, you *hopefully* wonā€™t be needing that all too often and the more minor things can be handled in your driveway or parking lot at work. I love the truck and if itā€™s the last vehicle I ever own, Iā€™d be totally cool with that. Hope that helps.

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

- would buy again, no regrets. But I didn't think I would have at the current pricing. I was only able to rationalize preorder pricing for our family. 300 mi range is enough to alleviate anxiety (mostly). We don't have an abundance of chargers where we're at in Southern Arizona and we still are able to go adventuring. 350 as a minimum it's overkill. Nice to have, but not need to have. I would have also opted for dual motor if it were available at the time, but I was pretty early.

- stock prices don't mean a whole lot in terms of product. It really just determines how easy it is for them to borrow money. I'm sure it's a complicated issue but shouldn't factor in to purchase. The quarterly reports are more relevant with regard to future forecasting. It's on my mind but I'm still confident they're in it for the long haul because they're making the right changes (I think).

- I also live 2+ hrs away from service. It's really not good, but I've been utilizing mobile service as much as possible. I've had a great experience with service, though. You just have to take a day of PTO for each direction to/from. I've arranged for after hours pickup/drop-off before but they were pretty clear it wasn't their normal operating procedure. They were nice but it was a hassle.

- I don't anticipate prices dropping and Rivian said as much a while ago. Whether that changes is speculation, at this point, so not really useful. Unless lightning, CT, and Silverado EV come to market cheaply then Rivian won't have incentive to drop, anyhow.

- I have the 21" all seasons. I had them for my old ice car and actually loved them. I took them to hell and back despite the fact that they're road tires. That's part of the reason I got them on the R1T. HOWEVER. This was the incorrect choice for a vehicle as heavy as the R1T. They are made of tissue paper and I've blown through several tires, once on a flat gravel road when a plain ol' rock went straight through the tread. Further, you have no other options @21" for now. More are supposedly coming, primarily the Michelin defender, but it's still vaporware.

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

For R1T owners, would you buiy again?
Rivian R1T R1S would you buy R1T again as of 3/25/2024? 1000009356

No regrets, still surprising me and making me smile 2 years later. Might trade in for a DM, wife is sold on the R2.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'd do it again for sure. QM for me. Love the performance. I am about 2 hours away from service center and that would be the one single factor that might change my mind if some other manufacturer came along with a better service situation and a compelling product. But no one has a product close, so I would do it again....with concern regarding the service center situation.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
10/10 would buy again. Still nothing on the market that has the breadth of performance at ANY price point.

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
I've had my QM truck for a year, 18K miles, five hours from a service center but haven't needed one. I had pre-order pricing and wouldn't hesitate to buy this truck again. At current pricing, I would still buy it. This truck suits me perfectly.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have had Opal (our R1T) for a year. She has been great. We are truck people. Opal is our seventh truck. We would definitely buy her again.

Brian

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Lease a dual motor and never look back :)

But yes I would rebuy my quad tomorrow if it fell in a sinkhole.

Responding more specifically:

I have the 20" AT. I'd recommend getting those for your winter and off roading use but mostly for future tire options. (I now have a dedicated snow setup and the ATs got loud so will have AS summer set soon too) The ATs worked for one winter but after 20k miles I didn't want to try another winter on them as I like to ski.

Lease should alleviate any bankruptcy or depreciation concerns.

I'm 2 hours from service, but only an hour from work so used to long commutes. It's a bit annoying but mobile service covers a lot of their calls (I believe RJ recently quoted some majority %). This could be fine or could be maddening, that's your call but they are usually pretty good about giving a loaner/rental but expect to always make a drop off and pickup trip.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Also, I grew up in Fairfield County with small cars so the width might give me a little pause with those roads but only 6" wider than your Gladiator.
(And had a ball of a time driving it home last year with no issues anyways)

Simplejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
My opinion depends on your needs. If u want 350 range and off road package with good clearance I'd say get a Raptor. Has 36 gallon fuel tank. I sold my R1T after 9 months due to lack of charging where I am at and other small issues. Had a quad motor and 21s, bought for 90k that's my only rivian regret (felt i paid too much and didnt get 20s a/t tires) Agree with above the 21s are too thin and if paying full price I would lease. Having said that to answer your question I have a demo on hold for $70k so I'm giving it another shot if things work out, this one has the 20s and Tesla charger network is open. Since 2018 I had raptor, gladiator, R1T and currently in 2023 JLU. Hoping to get back in R1T and put it threw its paces. I personally would not get a rivian unless it had a full size spare and bed cover along with any other options you need/want. Good luck

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I placed deposit in 5/23 and now I'm able to take delivery now. I have 5 months left on gladiator lease so I have time to wait.
-For R1T owners, would you buiy again? Any buyers remorse? I need a capable off road truck that can carry my fly fishing and ski gear, and kayaks when needed. (gear tunnel can hold skis and fishing gear). I need at least 10" ground clearance and 350 miles range. I'll rarely have to go much more than 150 miles at a time, but don't want to ever have range anxiety so I want at least 350 mile range to accomodate for battery losses in cold or hot weather. Rivian seems to be the only choice for me.
-Any concerns about the tanking stock price? If the company goes belly up, who will service the cars?
-I live 2 hours from the nearest service center for at least another year; is that a major concern?
-I heard there will be an overabundance of high end EVs this summer; any thoughts the R1T prices will drop further?
-I'd be looking at the dual motor or performance dual motor with large battery.
-looks like road tires give better mileage; are those tires ok for going off road in snow or mud?
Many thanks,
A
I love mine more than I ever thought I would. Absolutely, yes.

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I probably would't buy an R1T again but not for reasons most people would think. My R1T is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I just think the R2 would fit me better. I really miss my 3rd gen 4runner and the R2 is almost exactly that and it has a rear window that rolls down! So I would have tried to hold out for the R2.
Sponsored