Sponsored

kross

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I appreciate the original intent of this thread, to add magsafe to the original rivian fit/finish. I see multiple pointers to riviparts, and while I appreciate what they do, I would rather have a stealth/oem feel to the installation (as the OP completed).

What options do I have to buy parts at this point? I don't have a 3D printer (and don't have much need for one) but I'm very experienced with custom fabrication/custom audio/12v.
Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I appreciate the original intent of this thread, to add magsafe to the original rivian fit/finish. I see multiple pointers to riviparts, and while I appreciate what they do, I would rather have a stealth/oem feel to the installation (as the OP completed).

What options do I have to buy parts at this point? I don't have a 3D printer (and don't have much need for one) but I'm very experienced with custom fabrication/custom audio/12v.
Use the Contact Us on RIVIPARTS.com if you still want to buy one. I'm pretty sure that I have enough parts remaining to put together one of these.

Several options posted on the site, I apologize for missing some, searching the site.......
Unfortunately none of these, including my awesome new version 😁, is stealth like the old one.

theHoff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 LE R1S
I thought I would share a mod of @RWerksman's original solution. I 3d printed the frame, bought 15W generic wireless charging pads and a 30W DC-DC converter with 2 USB-C outputs. I added magnets for magsafe and made the OEM rubber pad thinner so the magnets would grab the phone better. It works great and charges quite quickly. Thanks @RWerksman for the STL files and the ideas. The hardest part of the build was thinning the rubber OEM mat. Here are some photos of the mod.
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 1
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 2
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 3
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 5
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 4
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 6
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 7
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 8
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 9
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 10
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 11

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The fact we even have to do this is the biggest issue I have in the first place. IT should just work the way it was intended from the beginning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The fact we even have to do this is the biggest issue I have in the first place. IT should just work the way it was intended from the beginning.
I 100% agree. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm working on ANOTHER version of this, specifically for folks who have Android phones and cant use MagSafe.

One is too many. There are now three different solutions on the market and a fourth one coming. That's a big oof.

theHoff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 LE R1S
I 100% agree. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm working on ANOTHER version of this, specifically for folks who have Android phones and cant use MagSafe.
I am using an S23. I just added a magsafe case to mine and it works great with the mods I made to my R1S.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I mean in Rivians defense from what I've heard and what we can see from the specs of the factory charger what they designed and built was amazing and actually too powerful. Word I got was if people put keys or key cards on the charging pad it would wipe them so they had to turn it down. I would rather a button on the dash to turn on charging and keep it at full power.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I am using an S23. I just added a magsafe case to mine and it works great with the mods I made to my R1S.
That is 100% what I would do if I owned an S23. It gives you so many more options, and that phone is so common that there are a plethora of cases available for it with MagSafe built in.

You shouldn't have to buy a $35ish case to work with a $100 replacement charging pad of your $90,000 truck though. You should be able to plop down any phone onto the OEM mat and it should A) stay put and B) actually charge.

I mean in Rivians defense from what I've heard and what we can see from the specs of the factory charger what they designed and built was amazing and actually too powerful. Word I got was if people put keys or key cards on the charging pad it would wipe them so they had to turn it down. I would rather a button on the dash to turn on charging and keep it at full power.
This could very well be the case. Wireless chargers do use an electromagnetic field. Samsung, for instance, recommends keeping credit cards away from them. It wouldn't surprise me if they nerfed them as so they didn't have thousands deployed into the field eating all types of cards.

That said, they are BIG. I'm not aware of another vehicle out there with such a large pad placed in that prominent of a place. Feels like a bad design choice. Maybe a better approach is to have a sizable storage area with maybe so floating pads over it? Just saying :)

arps77

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Update:

I've printed the solderless connector for the kit, and it has come out exactly how I hoped that it would. The terminal block fits right in, as does the connector for the truck. It snaps into place and everything is held together well.

The print itself is very easy to make. and installation for the entire magnetic pad assembly would only need a small flat head screw driver in addition to the torx and pry tool.

Here is what it looks like. please note the the connector on the right in the picture (and inserted in others) is actually a bare connector -- the same as on the end of the truck cabling. It's used and show here so you have an idea of what the finished product will look like.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

The below picture is a close up of what the back of the terminal block would look like. Notice the flat head screws. The red and black wiring would go to the distribution block (the grey part) on the pad replacement.

IMG_0709.JPG

So, here is where we go from here:
  • I'm going to be testing this over the next week or so. I'll be on a long holiday driving from PA to NC.
  • I'm going to include these in the next batch of ordering I do for the kits. Yes, that means that I'm going to do another one assuming the vendors for the pads and dc-dc converters are on board.
  • Because this removes the need for the Molex connector, the pricing for the next batch will actually GO DOWN by a few bucks! (Like $3 each)
  • Because there is no soldering, the next batch will be 100% build your own. The build guide posted in this thread prior will be updated to reflect what is needed, but 95% of it will be the same. Build and install time should be less than 30 minute.
Also, orders will be going in for a small batch of the console divider, hanging organizer basket, improved cell phone mount, and a very, very small amount of a 1" version of the cell phone mount.

ETA for everything is late August, maybe early September.
Are these available for sale?

Sponsored

rjmcfadd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone have the STL for this file? It says that it is available but I can't find it anywhere on Printables or Thingaverse.

Thanks!
Sponsored