Sponsored

With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I reset a new Trip B to track efficiency over a long period now that temps are in the 40's and 50's, to compare to my average up to this point (delivery in early June in TX, so averaged probably mid to high 80's).

So far, I'm not seeing an appreciable difference, most notably due to not having to use any HVAC at all. For one I'm typically already dressed for the ambient temp anyway, and I also warm the cabin before leaving and it then stays fairly well insulated (especially if it's sunny). For example, today it was in the low 40's yet my cabin never got below 65, after pre-heating to about 68-69, through a couple hours of driving around town, including a few entry and exits of the vehicle.

Overall, I don't expect to have to use cabin heating unless it gets into the 30's or below, and that's a significant part of the impact of cold weather besides the battery physics.

Recurrent is showing that owners should expect a 16% range reduction at around 21 degrees vs. the baseline range at an optimal temp of 90 degrees. I don't know exactly how many are in their fleet or how much data is in that though (haven't had a full winter of data clearly). That is about the same as what they say about an eTron (15% loss at 21 deg vs. optimal at 86 deg), for what it's worth, and I found their data to be pretty accurate with that.

Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? 1668627002595
Sponsored

FNWY2004

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 04 Porsche 911 GT3
Occupation
Real Estate
This was my data from a 33-37 degree trip from ME to MA. I drive 80mph with cruise and driver + for 90% of my trip. Conserve mode, lowest ride height, 21” wheels with covers removed, cabin temp 71. Started with 90% battery and ended up at 14% over 180 miles with no stops. 95% Highway and 5% secondary roads.
Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? AF1384E2-3820-47FB-A615-9FC06847EE2C
Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? 7B227B93-61C4-450D-9FEE-97B19A8CC937

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Recurrent is showing that owners should expect a 16% range reduction at around 21 degrees vs. the baseline range at an optimal temp of 90 degrees. I don't know exactly how many are in their fleet or how much data is in that though (haven't had a full winter of data clearly). That is about the same as what they say about an eTron (15% loss at 21 deg vs. optimal at 86 deg), for what it's worth, and I found their data to be pretty accurate with that.

1668627002595.png
Pretty interesting that those values appear to be generated for each specific user. Here is the ones that it gives me.
Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 10.19.25 AM

Anyway, my contribution: Long term average over the summer was 2.3, I reset it in November and am sitting at like 2.01 right now. Denver, CO, with quite a bit of time in the mountains, and snow tires on the original 20" wheels.

My mileage definitely skews towards longer trips, no commute so most mileage is on the weekends. With less cabin conditioning due to fewer trips maybe this reduces some of the cold impact.

I did see a much higher vampire drain than I'm used to in the cold, about 5% in 24 hours. Where we stay in the mountains does not have access to charging, so we can't plug it in; in the summer at this same location we would see 1-2% overnight. We plug it in most nights at home so I don't have a ton of data to compare it to. Not surprising due to the cold I guess, but 3 nights in the mountains took a heavier toll on our battery than I am used to.

We charged at an EA once just to see how it did in the colder weather; this was our first sub-freezing charging experience, probably 10-15 F. We routed to the charger but it never preconditioned. At 50% SOC on a 350kW EA charger we charged at 170 kW, ended at around 160 kW at 70%. took like 16 minutes I think.

Last edited:

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Pretty interesting that those values appear to be generated for each specific user. Here is the ones that it gives me.
Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 10.19.25 AM.png

Anyway, my contribution: Long term average over the summer was 2.3, I reset it in November and am sitting at like 2.01 right now. Denver, CO, with quite a bit of time in the mountains, and snow tires on the original 20" wheels.

My mileage definitely skews towards longer trips, no commute so most mileage is on the weekends. With less cabin conditioning due to fewer trips maybe this reduces some of the cold impact.

I did see a much higher vampire drain than I'm used to in the cold, about 5% in 24 hours. Where we stay in the mountains does not have access to charging, so we can't plug it in; in the summer at this same location we would see 1-2% overnight. We plug it in most nights at home so I don't have a ton of data to compare it to. Not surprising due to the cold I guess, but 3 nights in the mountains took a heavier toll on our battery than I am used to.

We charged at an EA once just to see how it did in the colder weather; this was our first sub-freezing charging experience, probably 10-15 F. We routed to the charger but it never preconditioned. At 50% SOC on a 350kW EA charger we charged at 170 kW, ended at around 160 kW at 70%. took like 16 minutes I think.
That is weird. They clearly are applying incomplete data to yours. My understanding is that that graphic is supposed to be based on fleet data in Recurrent.

My average from early June through October was 2.23, and is sitting at 2.15 since resetting it when we saw a break in temps. Jun-Oct probably averaged 90 during the day, and since then it's probably 50's. I'm only about 1k miles into the recent data though, with more short trips on average and more time sitting in garage (drags on that efficiency number as idle usage is included). I also rarely use the HVAC now, so that is a positive.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just did some testing in 30-35F weather traveling 60-90mph. Trip odometer showed an avg speed of 63 mph including the local parts over the course of several hundred miles.

22” wheels. All purpose mode. Regen default.

Temp at 69F/Auto = 1.5-1.7mi/kWh

Temp at 69F/Fan Speed 1 = 1.8-2.1mi/kWh

Temp at 69F/Fan off, heated seats & steering wheel = 2.1-2.3mi/kWh

Temp at 69F/Fan Off, body warmth only (5 passengers) = 2.5-2.8mi/kwh

To note, it never climbed above 37F for the day and with 5 bodies in the car, nobody got cold. The only tough part is keeping the car from fogging up, which meant I often had to turn the fan on. I couldn’t figure out how to let outside air in to cool without triggering the heat and if I turned it to cold only the cold air would blow and be too cold. I need to figure out a way to circulate the air without activating cold or hot
Sponsored