Sponsored

With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses?

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Did they ever figure out tires that last more than 30k miles for the i3?
Ugh. 30K miles? If had tires that lasted that long, I'd be over the moon!

The answer to your question is a resounding no, unfortunately. I don't even get 20K before I have to replace them. The one downside of the i3 are the skinny tires.

I have the i3s which has wider tires in both the front and back than the i3 and that gives you a little more tread to wear down, but then - it's even faster than the i3 so you want to punch it off the line which wears down the tires faster - so it's a wash.
Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
That is not a fair comparison. If you play around with all of those things in an ICE - you will also see improved MPG as well.
I agree that most ICE owners who convert to EV’s will not want to ride in a chilly cabin. One advantage of the ICE is that it generates tons of waste heat that becomes quite useful in winter, and the other advantage is that there are fueling stops every 15 minutes.

Range extension (or hyper miling) is an issue for EV’s that are travelling where there are few charger locations. I didn’t drive in a cold cabin because I enjoyed it, it’s something I had to do in the early days of EV’s when driving across charger wastelands like Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah in the winter months. The charger landscape has changed dramatically since those days, but the knowledge is still useful.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Left the house this morning at 33F for a snowblower delivery. Returned home to 44F.
Drive Mode: All Purpose/Auto
Cabin Temp: 68F/Auto.
22" Wheels

I was moving at a good clip and was fairly surprised at the efficiency considering I had a load in the bed that was disturbing airflow. Overall it was approximately 12% less than what the computer was expecting compared to my mode history.

Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? 14E1140B-93B6-4FDE-9325-91386E96FCCE

AsianPersuasian

First Name
SuperDave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
2nd winter in an EV. We learned a few things last winter in our Ioniq5. On road trips in the cold, dress warm (good advice for ICE also as you never know when you'll break down and need those boots, coat, and a hat). Use the seat heaters first. Dad was right, it's very expensive to heat the outdoors which is what you're doing as the car brings in fresh air.

There were a bunch of trips (-10F) where the heat never made it to the second row. This is a Ioniq5 problem, but having enough layers was key.
Wouldn't recirculating the air be more efficient?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
We will see how my R1S does but last winter we experienced about 40% range loss in my wife's XC40 Recharge in temps below 30F. This totally changed the complexion of our drive back to Denver from LA.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Even with recirculate on the car is bringing in fresh air so it doesn't suffocate you. The warm air is pushed out as the cold air comes in.

Maybe someday electric cars will come with heat exchangers that can heat up the cold air coming in using the warm air going out. These are used in passive houses to save energy.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Ugh. 30K miles? If had tires that lasted that long, I'd be over the moon!
Yep. Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on my i3 would only last a single winter on a set. ~5000 miles. If I was lucky, the front tires would still be good enough to rotate to the rear the next year. But by the end of the second winter, it was pretty sketchy.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I was out of town over the weekend and left my truck plugged in while I was gone, looks like it consumed ~17 KwH while just sitting outdoors for those few days. Left the house for the school run this morning at 70% charge and returned from that 10 mile RT with 60% charge all while driving on surface streets, cabin temp set to 65. Also had a warning for most of the trip about the battery being cold and limiting regen braking. I had assumed that by leaving the car charging while I was gone it would manage the battery but is that not the case? It wasn't overly cold here while I was gone and this gives me some concern about leaving the truck parked for couple days while skiing or winter camping when I won't have the option to charge.

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
I was out of town over the weekend and left my truck plugged in while I was gone, looks like it consumed ~17 KwH while just sitting outdoors for those few days. Left the house for the school run this morning at 70% charge and returned from that 10 mile RT with 60% charge all while driving on surface streets, cabin temp set to 65. Also had a warning for most of the trip about the battery being cold and limiting regen braking. I had assumed that by leaving the car charging while I was gone it would manage the battery but is that not the case? It wasn't overly cold here while I was gone and this gives me some concern about leaving the truck parked for couple days while skiing or winter camping when I won't have the option to charge.
I noticed the same this morning. I was plugged in all night charging to 85%, unplugged to leave for school/work and once I got in, got the limited regen warning, roughly 50°F in the garage outside in the high 20's. I did think that having it plugged in and having reached the charge limit might let it activate some battery conditioning temp though. No big deal, I've had the regen limited before at higher charge levels and expected it more with the cold weather. I was surprised it still was limiting regen once I got down to 75% charge though.

My commute is only 6-7 miles one way so not a great chance to get the batteries fully warmed up by any means. I have also noticed a decent drop in efficiency lately with the colder temps and it is not a shocker, its expected and not concerning to me.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I’m noticing a roughly 20% drop in efficiency with the colder weather (30s to 40s mostly with occasional 20s). Not surprised based on past experience with our other EV.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For me, I've avoided the cold battery by turning on cabin conditioning AND forcing it to charge by setting a higher charge level 30min prior to departure. Just turning on cabin temp wasn't enough to warm the battery.

I speculate that cabin conditioinging doesn't pull enough from to the battery to warm it up or have the battery temp conditioning turn on. But, if actively charging, it will turn on the battery heating/cooling system to ensure the battery is properly conditioned for the charge session.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

For me, I've avoided the cold battery by turning on cabin conditioning AND forcing it to charge by setting a higher charge level 30min prior to departure. Just turning on cabin temp wasn't enough to warm the battery.

I speculate that cabin conditioinging doesn't pull enough from to the battery to warm it up or have the battery temp conditioning turn on. But, if actively charging, it will turn on the battery heating/cooling system to ensure the battery is properly conditioned for the charge session.
Good idea, I'll add the charging tweak to my morning routine and hopefully they add some type of scheduled departure function in the future. Would be really great to just set the truck to be ready to go at 7:15 M-F with X cabin temp and batteries warmed up. The software dev guy that posts in the Reddit group hinted at some additional controls being in the works for remotely starting seat heaters/coolers so hopefully that comes soon.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I'm a little surprised by this thread. So many EV veterans around I figured we all understood exactly what was going to happen and why.

The Rivian not having a heatpump is a conscious decision and it may not even be planned atm. If you're in a 65kWh Chevy Bolt and it takes 10 kWh over your trip to use the resistance heater to heat your cabin, reducing that to 3 kWh will make a huge difference. If you're doing it in a 135kWh Rivian, it makes half the difference. Now factor in it doesn't work at the coldest temperatures because they're tuned for an efficiency range and if you're -10F, it's like you don't even have one.

The cost:benefit of having a heat pump goes down.

The point is the R1T and Bolt have similar sized cabins to heat and completely different planets of battery capacity. If you lose 40% in your Bolt you may only lose 25% in your Rivian and a heat pump would only serve to make that like 15% in most situations. At a cost, money-wise.

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche 911 C4S, 2022 Rivian R1T
Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? 54FD1FD7-18F8-46E5-96B7-0A896115ABE8
Rivian R1T R1S With temperatures dropping is anyone else already noticing range losses? 87683D53-F517-4B3F-AD8C-1A3C4CC42EFA

Non scientific….
New EV owner in western PA.

My drive routes and style haven’t changed in the two weeks of R1T ownership.

I drive a little over the speed limit with front climate on 70. Outside temps were in the mid 70s last week and now in the 30s for highs.

All purpose mode with low suspension. Have also used the heated seat and steering wheel in the colder weather. Again, no attempt to consider range or efficiency as I’m not far from my home charger as I tool around.

I was consistently seeing 2.1-2.2 KWh when temps were in the 70s. Last few days I’m seeing 1.9 kWh with temps in the 30s.

I was charging nightly to 70% but think I will go to 85% in cold weather. I’m driving 60-80 miles a day. The one picture shows a 157.8 trip but that was the last two day’s combined (30 degree temps) since I forgot to reset during my nightly charge cycle.

Non scientific. Just my usual everyday driving style (same as my ICE vehicles). I’m keeping an eye on this……

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Recirc is more efficient but in cold climates it can lead to excess humidity in the cabin that fogs up the cold glass.

I haven't tried long cold trips yet but short ones in an EV are actually pretty nice, no waiting for heat and no worrying about babying my cold engine until the oil starts to flow.
Sponsored