First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Rivian isn't setup with any of the insurance providers yet, there is some sort of process involved with that. So any claims/processes that involved insurance and a direct Rivian repair will have to be paid out of pocket and then submitted for reimbursement. I have progressive and had a windshield replaced, it was a pretty straightforward submission of the form and invoice and had my check about 3 weeks later.
Is your truck limestone? It looks baby blue in your profile picture. That's a really nice picture and quite the good looking color.
Sponsored

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
Is your truck limestone? It looks baby blue in your profile picture. That's a really nice picture and quite the good looking color.
It's actually white and thanks

John B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
I had a similar experience with my R1T. I had a 4" crack and called safelight to see if they could just repair it. As it was a long crack and not a "Star" kind of crack they said they couldn't repair it. They then offered to see if they could get a windshield from Rivian to replace it. The answer was no, as they are not an "Authorized" Rivian windshield replacement center. Rivian said to bring it to the Brooklyn service center and they would do the repair, or I could have it done by one of their authorized centers closer to me, which I chose. The center ordered the windshield, which arrived quickly to my relief, and then we scheduled the repair. After the windshield was replaced a Rivian service tech was scheduled to come out to the facility to calibrate the cameras that are used for adaptive cruise control and self driving. That also happened quickly. I did have to pay for the repairs myself ($2,400) but was promptly reimbursed by Progressive. Bottom line, I think it all went pretty smoothly.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
But OP post is a good point for people to consider when purchasing a Rivian. Rivians are ultimately more like owning a boutique brand vs a mass market brand.
I’d like to think its not a mass market brand, yet. :)

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
Had same happen with a small chip cracking overnight.

Had the same issue with Geico.

They reimbursed me promptly.

I then proceeded to pickup a windshield repair kit from Amazon and its been great at warding off any further chips lol
I picked up the same kit to deal with a couple of small chips in my windshield. The windshield repair guy I called wouldn't fix it because one was too low on the windshield and he said it was when, not if, the windshield would need to be replaced. I was surprised by how well the kit worked. We'll see if it prevents cracks, but so far so good.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Sounds like a Progressive insurance issue more than a Rivian issue.... There are plenty of windshields out there that are only available directly from the manufacturer, certainly not a situation unique to Rivian.

But sure, it's more difficult than getting a Ford Explorer windshield that is likely made several third parties in addition OEM.
" Sounds like a Progressive insurance issue more than a Rivian issue.... There are plenty of windshields out there that are only available directly from the manufacturer, certainly not a situation unique to Rivian. "
As far as I'm concerned, *that* is a "Rivian issue" - if in fact it is true that Rivian won't sell parts (e.g. glass) to other service companies.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

sorry to hear about your damage and hassles. I hope they fix it soon and Progressive reimburses you fully.

Now I’m wondering if getting the Madico ClearPlex windshield protection is a worthwhile investment.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to deal with this kind repair and insurance hassle, plus you’ll be able to keep the factory seal.

I’m just unsure how much it costs and how long it lasts.
"Now I’m wondering if getting the Madico ClearPlex windshield protection is a worthwhile investment."
I have asked for a quote (but haven't received it yet) for the Stek windshield protection film. However, things I am seeing online indicate that ClearPlex and Stek films are easily scratched by the windshield wipers. If that is the case, the only way it would make sense is if the film installation is much less expensive than what I think it will be (so that it would be affordable to replace it from time to time).

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

The moral of the story, like most everything else on my Rivain, something as simple as a new windshield is a complicated and expensive process. Should yours get broken, good luck!
"The moral of the story, like most everything else on my Rivain, something as simple as a new windshield is a complicated and expensive process. Should yours get broken, good luck! "

I am beginning to think that Rivian has designed and built this with no regard to repair costs. None.
Many years ago I worked at a medical equipment manufacturer. I knew the guy in the service department who was part of the design review committee. I recall his statement (which he told me he used to say in the meetings): "we have to make this serviceable." I suspect that company disregarded his advice too often, but at least he had a seat at the table. I'm not sure that Rivian has any such person. But if they do, it would appear that it is only to make it serviceable by Rivian service centers, without regard to the customers' expenses.
I haven't yet had any of these service nightmares (other than my broken PTC, which should have been replaced before I ever received it). I still say nice things about the truck to everyone who asks. I might, at some point, start warning people that it is "buyer beware."
So, to Rivian I give this advice: "Rivian beware - if you destroy your reputation now, you might never get the chance to improve it later."

Last edited:

Smlee

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, BMW X5, BMW 330 and Winnebago Aspect
Wow, I have the same issue small star and now a full crack. I also live in phx. My appt is in July. Now, I have owned Tesla for the past 6 years and BMW. I hav head the same with Both, if you want OEM glass. Also it was not replace the same day. It took some time more in line with a week to get the glass. Now Rivian is taking more time but about the same as Tesla.
I knew what I was getting into going with 1st generation truck with brand new company. So, this is what I expected. I could have the glass replaced at safelite (I was told by phone rep) but they can’t do the calibration for camera’s. Same issue with Tesla and BMW I have had in the Past. Tesla has automatic calibration now, all SW, which Rivian will get too.
but thanks for heads up on repair kit, ordering it today.
Sponsored