Sponsored

Windshield glass is trash

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner; Mustang GT; M3; Grand Cherokee, R1T
7,000 miles and just yesterday got a crack that can't be repaired. I'm not even sure what caused the crack as I just noticed it yesterday. My 4Runner has 170k miles of tough use and the original windshield. It does make me wonder about the Rivian glass.
Sponsored

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I don't think this is just a Rivian thing. Talking to non-Rivian owners and looking to my own roughly 60 years driving experience, well, to use an old guy phrase, they just don't seem to make window glass as tough as it used to be. There may be reasons for this (heated windshield, maybe), but boy, if there were an option for bullet-proof glass, I might just go there.
I went through two windshields on a 2018 Subaru and the guy at the glass shop was telling me that Subaru in particular for that model year, but generally other manufacturers as well were in his opinion changing the front end aerodynamics chasing gas mileage but as a result instead of debris getting pushed over the car it was hitting the glass more frequently.

The tiny rock that hit my R1T windshield barely chipped a corner, the point of impact was so small it could barely be seen but that turned into a full on crack within a day. I've got to drive back down to CA pretty soon here, really hoping my 2000 mile RT won't cost me another windshield.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Got my first chip at 2,500 miles. Rock kicked out from a snowplow on the freeway. Luckily it's perfectly placed on the windshield directly centered on the steering wheel but exactly at eye level, to ensure that I'll never forget about it... I went to safelite and they said it was too small to fix even though it's too annoying not to.

Anyone tried this: https://www.getexoshield.com/ ?

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I think it's just more of an "upright windshield" kinda thing. I have a 2021 Bronco, and, oh boy, the forums were going nuts regarding broken glass for months.

My '97 Jeep went through windshields like candy.
A big factor, although my Tesla MY got hit twice in a month.

My Wrangler has Corning Gorilla Glass and took a massive hit - only a tiny chip.

I've said it before on this Forum and I'll say it again, Rivian should partner with Corning and offer Gorilla Glass as an option (like Jeep). Well worth it.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Wow, some of you are living the good life. I batting 1k; 2 impacts & 2 cracked windshields. After the 1st one, I try to avoid getting behind large commercial trucks, now after this latest one, I have to keep back at least 200 ft behind a corolla.
I drive on what I call a "rock corridor" every day. Rock trucks, all over the damn freeway. This leaves rocks, all over the damn freeway.

How I prevent cracked windows:
I leave more room than I should in front of me so if a car picks up a rock it shouldn't hopefully be high enough to hit the windshield and my front is PPF'd.
Also, I will not drive behind a jeep/ lifted truck/ etc that has huge tires that are either unshielded (Sticking out past fender) or has no mud flaps.

This works pretty well, but is not foulproof.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
My 4Runner has 170k miles of tough use and the original windshield.
*My* 4Runner has 23 years of tough use and I need to get a new windshield every two or three years. IMO this has more to do with the angle of the windshield rather than the quality of the glass. I have never had to replace a windshield on any of my sedans in the past, ever, but the 4Runner and my F350 seem to attract rocks. Since the R1T is most buyers' first truck, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that a lot of the "weak glass" opinions come from people who have never owned a rock magnet before.

How I prevent cracked windows:
I leave more room than I should in front of me so if a car picks up a rock it shouldn't hopefully be high enough to hit the windshield and my front is PPF'd.
Also, I will not drive behind a jeep/ lifted truck/ etc that has huge tires that are either unshielded (Sticking out past fender) or has no mud flaps.
Yeah, that might help somewhat, but, at least for me, this is not "operator error" on my part. Because most of the time when I get a rock strike I'm nowhere near another vehicle.

Last time it was an 18-wheeler going the opposite direction on a two-lane highway - it must have dropped a rock (3-inches in diameter, right through the center of my windshield) because there was literally nothing else nearby and no one in front of me for a mile.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Finally, a solution to those rude tailgaters. Give everybody a fragile windshield 😂

FWIW, I have an FJ Cruiser and windshields don’t get much more upright. After 90K miles, I’m about to have my second windshield replaced. Took a rock on the freeway about a year and a half ago. What started as a smallish chip has finally spread (about 20”) to the point it’s time for a new one. Intuitively, one might think that a steeper windshield would be more vulnerable. But, I suspect glass quality, or lack thereof, may be a bigger issue.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

When you get your glass replaced do you go to the SC for camera calibration etc? Can mobile service do this?

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Got my first chip at 2,500 miles. Rock kicked out from a snowplow on the freeway. Luckily it's perfectly placed on the windshield directly centered on the steering wheel but exactly at eye level, to ensure that I'll never forget about it... I went to safelite and they said it was too small to fix even though it's too annoying not to.

A friend just installed this other option: https://www.stek-usa.com/windshield-film.

At least he likes how the installed product looks, but clearly no idea about how it behaves over time. My concern would be having to replace it every few years...

FD234

First Name
FD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

I called to find out, it costs $600 with installation and they warranty it for 2 years.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I called to find out, it costs $600 with installation and they warranty it for 2 years.
From their website:

This product is temporarily unavailable in North America. :oops:

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Thanx for the information

I will have the windshield film installed for rock protection

GB
Best Glass is made in Germany

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

I think it's just more of an "upright windshield" kinda thing. I have a 2021 Bronco, and, oh boy, the forums were going nuts regarding broken glass for months.

My '97 Jeep went through windshields like candy.
Agree with this, it's more upright and when in conserve, it's much lower than a regular truck. Rocks that normally would just hit the front end are now coming up over the hood and nailing the windshield.
Sponsored