Sponsored

Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sorry guys. Was gone for 3 weeks. You'll get a laugh at this. I was all set for the tires right after I got the truck after doing thorough reviews and having a good friend who had the tires on. Went to the dealer and due to the underside of the R1T and me not having my spare tire/parts yet, there lift rack could not accommodate lifting this truck! They even had Rivian service on the line. So I have nothing for you. :)
So you didn't actually install the Michelins?
Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Sorry guys. Was gone for 3 weeks. You'll get a laugh at this. I was all set for the tires right after I got the truck after doing thorough reviews and having a good friend who had the tires on. Went to the dealer and due to the underside of the R1T and me not having my spare tire/parts yet, there lift rack could not accommodate lifting this truck! They even had Rivian service on the line. So I have nothing for you. :)
Was it a weight issue or not knowing a safe way to jack up the truck?

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
So you didn't actually install the Michelins?
No. My review of them was from educating myself and more importantly, riding and talking to a friend who had them and his findings. Will those positive findings translate to the Rivian....no clue. And now that I have about 800 miles on the TA's instead of the initial thought of 200 and selling them as basically new, I will keep them on and wait to install the Michelins when these are done.

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
Was it a weight issue or not knowing a safe way to jack up the truck?
Nothing to do with weight. I am not a tire center guy so I have no clue except in looking under the body with them, there lift station had no way of safely getting to the frame to lift it, without damaging the underbody....is how I understood it.

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
No. My review of them was from educating myself and more importantly, riding and talking to a friend who had them and his findings. Will those positive findings translate to the Rivian....no clue. And now that I have about 800 miles on the TA's instead of the initial thought of 200 and selling them as basically new, I will keep them on and wait to install the Michelins when these are done.
I should correct one thing..."My review" should say "My opinion". Other than that, I am absolutely loving the truck. But I did feel riding on that Michelin AS, was quieter than the AT's.

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
See below. The Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 tire looks like a good option if you don't need all-terrain tires. You'd save about 10 pounds per wheel. I saw a Model X with AS Plus 3 tires the other day, maybe they're the OEM tires now.

Rivian tire sizes 3.jpg
Where did you get your weight data from? I'm looking up the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 275/55 R20 and it shows 47lbs per, you had 40lbs per; And for the larger 275/60R20 shows 50lbs per vs 38lbs per? What am I messing up? Btw this is from discount tire:
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-all-season-plus-3/p/103610
Dirty_B

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Well I'm glad you're safe!!! Thanks for checking in.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Nothing to do with weight. I am not a tire center guy so I have no clue except in looking under the body with them, there lift station had no way of safely getting to the frame to lift it, without damaging the underbody....is how I understood it.
This "review" (poor excuse for a review) deals with issues lifting the R1T. Here's a relevant clip:

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S

Sponsored

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
This "review" (poor excuse for a review) deals with issues lifting the R1T. Here's a relevant clip:
Thanks much Alllnev! I wonder how much my quote would have went up with the Tire Center knowing they had to do that! :)

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I received my Rivian and followed my plan of immediately removing the original All-Terrain 20" tires (300 miles on them) and replacing w/All-Season. If anyone is looking to purchase 4 - 20" AT's, just let me know.
whats your range on 20" with AS tires?

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I will get the 21, and purchase 2 extra tires and store them. This way if I run into an issue, and can't find the tires, I can have one of the extra ones mounted, and just replenish my inventory whenever I find one. 99% I will be driving locally so I think range is my only concern.

anotherburrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3 LR + Boost
So, save $3,500 and get the 21's that come with it. Then, buy my custom wheels and tires with a look I'll like even more than the black wheel offering by Rivian. Now, rather than just one set of, just OK looking black wheels for $3,500, I'll have two sets of wheels and tires that I'll like even more for around $2,000.
That was my line of thinking too.

RivFan23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer Sport
@Pcr Did you ever get your all season's installed? And if so, any range improvements you'd be willing to share?
Sponsored