First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Good items so far -

For me, I don't think we've seen someone really exploring what fits in the extra spaces. Can a 70 quart cooler fit in the frunk? In the bed with the tonneau closed? If you get the cross bars, how does a kayak fit, bikes, etc. Besides people, what kind of stuff fits in the gear tunnel?
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@OutofSpecKyle also, if you can confirm w them that they have that 800v charging switch. I know CarAndDriver and MotorTrend have said that it can with a software update, but it's not clear to us if that was a miscommunication about their charging network. This is literally the mystery.

Towing a small camper vs a large trailer would be sweet too.

Honestly, just super excited for your review!
@OutofSpecKyle I second this!

The People Want to Know!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How fast can you drive in Reverse? How long does it take to fill the tires from off-road pressure to on-road pressure?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

@OutofSpecKyle I really appreciate you and the informative videos you do. I’m mostly in the camp of wondering about it pulling a travel trailer and it’s range. I doubt this is the kind of thing you’ll be able to do, so I’ll take whatever you can give us.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Something else to be irrationally excited for! I'll join the chorus of folks asking for a deep nerd dive on charging, range, UI/UX - you're just the guy for the job.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
How is the roof in Colorado sun?
I'll add to the roof question. Rivian customer service previously said the pano glass roof would get darker in direct sunlight. Is the glass roof photochromic, or fixed tint?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also curious if range changes much with 1000 lbs of payload in the bed.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
@OutofSpecKyle I really appreciate you and the informative videos you do. I’m mostly in the camp of wondering about it pulling a travel trailer and it’s range. I doubt this is the kind of thing you’ll be able to do, so I’ll take whatever you can give us.
I do have a 22' 4500lb travel trailer (Jayco 22bhm) that could be borrowed for a highway consumption test going from Fruita into Utah a little ways and back. It would provide a good example of towing a typical boxy travel trailer.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I’d like to see how easy or difficult a car seat install is.

How about a time test for filling all 4 tires from 20 psi to 45 psi (or whatever they suggest for highway use) using the onboard compressor.

I’d like a look at the roof rail connections. Since Rivian doesn’t offer a rack or stand-alone towers, I want to know how it’s going to be to get my ARB attached. I don’t want to put it on the available crossbars, it gets too tall.

These are ones I really wonder about but are probably beyond the scope of typical auto reviews:

Removal of the frunk —what’s hiding under there? Is stuff easy to access to fix?

Shots of the underbody —last I’d seen there are some hoses for the suspension dangling below the skid plate, is this still the case with the production models?

How hard is it going to be to add a winch and rear tire carrier?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I do have a 22' 4500lb travel trailer (Jayco 22bhm) that could be borrowed for a highway consumption test going from Fruita into Utah a little ways and back. It would provide a good example of towing a typical boxy travel trailer.
This is a nice sized trailer for testing. Reasonable size and weight, but as you say boxy. Would make for an excellent data point.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I second details on the 22"s if you can have them...

...then maybe take the R1T on short drive to an R1S and review the hell out of that...

Lips2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul
Occupation
IT
I don't think I've seen anyone give a review of the ADAS / Driver+ system yet. I'm sure it'll keep improving, but how it compares with Tesla Autopilot, Ford Blue Cruise, GM SuperCruise, Kia/Hyundai HDA2, etc would be interesting.
Especially in stop-and-go traffic...the majority of my commute.

Thank you!

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Good items so far -

For me, I don't think we've seen someone really exploring what fits in the extra spaces. Can a 70 quart cooler fit in the frunk? In the bed with the tonneau closed? If you get the cross bars, how does a kayak fit, bikes, etc. Besides people, what kind of stuff fits in the gear tunnel?
I was thinking the same thing.
What is the largest Yeti cooler you can fit in the frunk, gear tunnel, bed?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
  • how much content can their Spotify client buffer when out of cell range?
  • is there a setting that automatically lowers the suspension all the way down (kneel mode) when parked? if so, how practical is it (ie, how long does it take to lower upon parking and raise upon driving)?
  • is the vehicle ready to drive as soon as you are seated and have fastened your seat belt or is there a "bootup" delay?
  • similarly, if I hop in the car, fasten my seatbelt, and put the vehicle in reverse, how long does it take for the rear view camera to pop up?
  • what is the range of phone-as-key?
  • are there settings to maintain climate while parked such as when the family remains in the car while I run into a store for a few minutes?
  • if my wife and I both use phone-as-key, does the vehicle transition to her key if I leave the vehicle while she remains inside? What happens when I get back to the car? What is the impact on climate-hold, driver settings, etc during these kinds of transitions?

R1Ted

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'02 Honda Insight
Gravel Road Range Test - In addition to all the other range tests, it would be interesting to see consumption figures for off road driving. I know a majority of miles will be on road, but since this is an off road capable EV it would be good to know range in these conditions. No extended rock crawling, mud, or snow, just a loop through the mountains on a gravel forest service type road. Something you would do 10-30mph on.
Sponsored