Sponsored

What would you do? Get LE version (300+) or wait for MaxPack (400+)?

What do you think?

• Get the truck sooner, and sacrifice the extra 100 miles

• Be patient and wait for that MaxPack

Results are only viewable after voting.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Don’t forget you’ll also need to pay for your wheel upgrade.

But with that, I’m a max pack reservation holder. Don’t forget that 300 miles is the best rage. Your actual range with years down the line with 10% degradation, loaded with gear, cold temperatures, and a mountain to climb will be much worse.

I also predict resale value to be much better for max packs because battery degradation won’t be as much of an annoyance with the larger pack.
Wait for it……

Range is King.

always buy the biggest battery you can afford.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
I'm hoping October give us some clues as to how the truck behaves off road and how much energy it consumes. If I remember correctly, last year a preprod truck went on the Rebelle and it had a ~230mile pack. It averaged ~170miles on/off road and 50 miles in the sand. I believe they are going to compete again, but this time with a production truck, so it'll be interesting to compare last year's with this year's numbers. Who knows, they may even do it on the max pack version...
Unless you are driving off road solely. Rebelle rally isn't a reasonable indicator of range :)

In the q&a with RJ, he kind of said the trucks efficiency in passing....

He said 2to3 miles per kWh. That would be better than I would expect. However an EV this size is still an unknown, the public has no reference to understand what av EV truck is doing at highway speeds... So we have to wait for some range tests when people get them.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I live in the PHX metroplex and have a place in Pinetop-Lakeside in eastern AZ with my brothers. It's a great area year round. It's about 180 miles uphill (both ways in the snow!!!) and we try to go several times a year. The 300 mile pack just isn't enough to get up there comfortably every trip and there are no CCS chargers on either of the direct routes up the hill.
Thus, I'm holding out for the Max pack. As @TessP100D would say - Range is King!

On a side note, I bought my daughter a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus that has a 240 mile range and I regret it every day. I should have purchased the Long Range.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I live in the PHX metroplex and have a place in Pinetop-Lakeside in eastern AZ with my brothers. It's a great area year round. It's about 180 miles uphill (both ways in the snow!!!) and we try to go several times a year. The 300 mile pack just isn't enough to get up there comfortably every trip and there are no CCS chargers on either of the direct routes up the hill.
Thus, I'm holding out for the Max pack. As @TessP100D would say - Range is King!

On a side note, I bought my daughter a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus that has a 240 mile range and I regret it every day. I should have purchased the Long Range.
We to bought 2 model 3’s.l to add to my rocket ship model S. Something like 240 miles of range. It’s just not big enough.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I’d wager a battery replacement is not much more difficult than a frame replacement on a body on frame pickup(cough Toyota cough cough)
If the battery were damaged in an accident, the type that would damage a Toyota’s frame, I'll take your bet! ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If the battery were damaged in an accident, the type that would damage a Toyota’s frame, I'll take your bet! ?
Toyota had a massive recall to replace pickup frames due to corrosion issues, lots of trucks had to had their frames replaced

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Toyota had a massive recall to replace pickup frames due to corrosion issues, lots of trucks had to had their frames replaced
Ahhhh! I did not know that. Toyota has such a great record of quality. I'll bet that was a great embarrassment for them.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
300 miles is plenty if you are not towing. I think it depends on how much you plan to do long-distance towing.

I would plan based on the assumption that towing will cut the range in half; that you only charge to 90%; that you stop to recharge at 10%; and that after a few years the battery will have degraded by 10%. 300*.9*.9*.9*.5 = 110 miles between stops when towing. And you are likely going to have to unhitch the trailer at each stop. It will be a very different experience than towing with an ICE or going on a BEV road trip without towing.

A 400 mile pack going to be subject to the same range reducing factors. You can only count on 145 miles between stops. But I think that the difference between 110 miles and 145 miles is significant enough to wait.
Don't believe 300+ is real though. Normally you will be only using the 80-20% portion of the pack between charges, add in cold, highway speeds, and degradation, your actual range will only be about 40% of that so more like 120+.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Don't believe 300+ is real though. Normally you will be only using the 80-20% portion of the pack between charges, add in cold, highway speeds, and degradation, your actual range will only be about 40% of that so more like 120+.
I have never seen a 60% loss of range in winter conditions(think -30F)
maaaybe half. In the only EV I’ve driven long distances, a model S 100D.
granted, no towing, but extreme cold and a headwind

Sponsored

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m curious what our options will be in 7-8 years when the battery may need replacing. Will a replacement pack be cheaper and more energy dense by then? That would be my hope. I do think charging will be more readily available and faster by then as well. I only wish Rivian had the latest tech with 800v charger
Needing to replace the battery in 7-8 years would be terrible longevity. No way it should need replacing already, the warranty is 8 years and it should last longer than that.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Needing to replace the battery in 7-8 years would be terrible longevity. No way it should need replacing already, the warranty is 8 years and it should last longer than that.
Jason,

Good to see you jumped in here. This is a fun playground! Enjoy yourself!

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have never seen a 60% loss of range in winter conditions(think -30F)
maaaybe half. In the only EV I’ve driven long distances, a model S 100D.
granted, no towing, but extreme cold and a headwind
No about 30% at least.. I was considering operational range of the battery on a trip of about 90%-20% (70%), lose 10% for highway speeds, 30% for cold, 5% degradation. So range between charges on a trip is (100-30-10-5) *70% = ~38.5% of the battery or ~120 miles. Forget about towing.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
imagine the amount of mileage and recharge/discharge cycles would play big part. 8 years and I may have 150-200k miles on this thing ?‍♂ Who knows. Hope you are correct
Sponsored