What will we learn 5/31 - 6/6

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
haha it would be a pretty hard ask for someone excited about the product, not working for rivian, to keep any information gleaned from the guides from others.
Not really that hard. Tell the prospective buyer if they yak they will get placed at the rear of the delivery line.
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I just can't wrap my head around how so many people can be thinking of purchasing an $80K truck forma brand new startup and have virtually no faith in any of the information they are getting from the company. If I had even half of the negativity I have been reading recently I would have cut and run a long time ago.
There are a variety of reasons why I think people are concerned about this including multiple delays of the delivery date, removal of key features (to some) such as the 180 degree tailgate, Lidar / L3 autonomy, electrochromic roof, etc, and a history of spotty communication with last minutes details to changes.

I also think there is a big different between, "having faith" and purchasing a truck. I, for one, don't have faith that they are going to deliver the exact vehicle that I expected when I placed my deposit. I do have faith that they will eventually be able to delivery a vehicle which is pretty close to it, at some point in the future. When my name is pulled I plan on evaluating how far the deviation is and how strong prior owner experiences are to help determine if I want a refund on the truck.

To be fair, I assumed this was going to happen, maybe not to this degree however.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
removal of key features (to some) such as the 180 degree tailgate, Lidar / L3 autonomy
They have not removed the L3, only the LiDAR. They have stated that they can achieve the same goals with RADAR for cheaper.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Am I the only one that does not understand all of this range discussion?

Rivian provided this information back in 2018 when they previewed the trucks. It has been on their website since the beginning. Not sure how anyone can be saying we do not have it and in the same statements thinking all of the other manufacturers did not come up with their estimates the same way Rivian did.

They did not pull that number out of thin air and certainly would not have put it on the website if it wasn't close (probably conservatively). The manufacturers are responsible for running the EPA tests based on specific criteria, they provide the numbers to the EPA to be certified. This is not like getting a blood test form the doctor and waiting for the results.

I just can't wrap my head around how so many people can be thinking of purchasing an $80K truck forma brand new startup and have virtually no faith in any of the information they are getting from the company. If I had even half of the negativity I have been reading recently I would have cut and run a long time ago.
I have faith, but I think I, along with others on this forum, are curious to know what that tested range actually is. 300+ or even 400+ is a great base, and I'm confident they are above those numbers, but often claimed range vs actual range are quite different which is why people are curious to know.

Curiousity over the last 2+ years for many preorder holders has turned into negative assumptions unfortunately

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Would anyone actually order without knowin range number? I wouldnt. Isn't the Guides to take orders and confirm what you want?
Watch me confirm range numbers:

"300+ miles for Launch edition. Note that this is Rivian's estimate and final EPA numbers are pending."

Yes, I want EPA numbers too, but I'm not sure how anyone expects the guides to share interim details until the EPA numbers are ready.

In the meantime, there's literally no evidence that the range guidance has changed and if anything, Rivian has been more upfront than the competition (offering a projected reduction when towing, which has so many variables that it seems like a risky thing to forecast).

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Rivian provided this information back in 2018 when they previewed the trucks. It has been on their website since the beginning.
A large number of the vehicle photos on the website are the old prototype versions, which have been significantly modified for the production model, yet they have no problem plastering those outdated photos all over the site.

It would be naive to think that just because it's shown on the website that it will be the same in production. This goes for all aspects of the vehicle, including range estimates.

Someone posted a list once of all the features that were at one point shown on the site, that have since been removed/changed. I have no real issues with these modifications (other than the absolute lack of any sort of communication), as we all know things have to evolve in order to make a successful production vehicle.

But the point remains, sometimes what Rivian says they're going to do, and what Rivian actually does, tend to be 2 different things. Hence the concern.

Personally, despite my concerns, the R1T continues to be the best option for me. So, I'm going to stick it out until we have final confirmation on the specs for the production vehicles.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
They have not removed the L3, only the LiDAR. They have stated that they can achieve the same goals with RADAR for cheaper.
They have removed all referenced to L3, even those that indicated it was not available at launch / a future feature. Here is the current blurb:

https://rivian.com/support/article/is-rivian-driver-a-level-3-autonomous-driving-system

Chat was mentioning in 2020 that it may come as a future addition, but I believe hasn't been happening in some time.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
100% This

The assertions that it's under or even way under and they are "covering it up" is a bit ridiculous. They took what? 9-10 years before even showing their product. Have faith. As Elon has said many times, "Prototypes are easy, production is hard" We'll get there and maybe, just maybe the EPA results will have an extra 30-50 miles of range beyond what Rivian has advertised (Maybe the + at the end really is a substantial +)
Yeah, just like their time estimates…. ?. Under promise, over deliver. ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hyundai has not released any more detail on range than Rivian. They provided an internally estimated range and said that EPA numbers won’t be out until later this year close to launch. The same is true for Ford.

There is no reason to have EPA range finalized and released until you are ready to take someone’s order, despite what many people want to be the case.
The funny thing is that Kia isn't even consistent in the same web pages for the EV6 they say 300 mile target, and then quite 265 miles further down the page.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The funny thing is that Kia isn't even consistent in the same web pages for the EV6 they say 300 mile target, and then quite 265 miles further down the page.
They’re moderately clear in stating that certain trims and packages will be able to go 300 miles. The first edition version is not one of those select trims, and has a 265 mile range.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They’re moderately clear in stating that certain trims and packages will be able to go 300 miles. The first edition version is not one of those select trims, and has a 265 mile range.
Ah. I wasn't able to find that when I was perusing earlier today. That makes more sense.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Ah. I wasn't able to find that when I was perusing earlier today. That makes more sense.
They could have made it much clearer. Interestingly, I think all trims are on the same size pack, so it must have something to do with weight, wheels, aero, etc.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

FWIW they did a complete massive re-design on https://media.rivian.com . Lots of pictures and videos have been removed from public spotlight.

https://rivian.com/newsroom
It was likely all the outdated photos showing the original prototype design. Everything that's left on the Media page appears to be the production design. This excludes the old press releases which still feature prototype photos. Hopefully it's a sign that they'll be adding more production photos... SOON.
Sponsored