Sponsored

What Else Are You Considering?

What Else Are You Considering (Among Electric Vehicles)?

• Total voters

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Ioniq should be out basically any time now. It's currently out in South Korea I believe. Then Europe, and then we will get it.
Yeah, I thought I saw it coming out to Europe and South Korea soon. If I had to choose between that and the Kia EV6, that would be tough. I think the Kia comes out next year though
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My guess more than 30 years if we are talking globally. There are so many ice vehicles out there and so many places that drive them into the ground for lack of resources to replace them.

if we are talking about the point where we cross the 50/50 line for new sales I think that will happen before the mile threshold but still 15 to 20 years out. CA has a mandate that by 2035 all new passenger vehicles sold will be zero emission. I think it is a lofty goal and not sure it will be attainable. My guess is they may push it out 5 or more years. The infrastructure for electricity here needs to be rebuilt to handle the load where they already have brownouts during major heatwaves just for current electric demands.

It does say zero emission so that does allow for other options like hydrogen but that infrastructure is way behind as well and fewer options in the pipeline.
SANZCO2, I should have clarified that I was talking in terms of the United States, not the world. I agree that many parts of the world will be years behind, for the reasons you mentioned. If geopolitical trends remain in place, we’ll see many current ICE-mobiles in the streets of Havana 60 years from now. We might even spot the rare Nikola Semi at that time, coasting down the new Everest Highway out of the Himalayas, no hydrogen needed.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've been tracking vehicles that can support a hard shell 2 person RTT and also have enough range and a charging infrastructure to be feasible. Charge speed is also a factor here. <100 kW is not going to cut it.

The list of vehicles that would fit the bill:
Model Y
Rivian R1T
Rivian R1S
I have a Model Y and love it dearly. But heads up, a hard shell RTT may not fit (the brackets would be cutting it real close with the rooftop glass, at least on the stock crossbars) and will cut your freeway range quite literally in half.

We carry a rooftop box or ski rack pretty often during ski season and that by itself is a pretty brutal range hit. The Y depends on a very low drag coefficient and a RTT absolutely torpedos that.

The R1T should do better (it may actually be slightly more efficient with a tent spoiling the void behind the cab) and the R1S should be somewhere in the middle. (I plan to mount an iKamper SkyCamp Mini facing backwards in the R1T bed.)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I am not sure I understand cross shopping the Rivian SUV or truck with the Ioniq 5, a four door sedan, but for those that are a few reviews are now popping up online.
I agree.

I'm reading this thread, and my face is grimaced while I try to wrap my head around some of these comparisons.

"Well, I tow 18,000 lbs 3 times a week, so I'm looking at a Ford F-550 Powerjoke bro-dozer edition, a R1S, or a Tesla Model 3 Performance."

WAT?

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I agree.

I'm reading this thread, and my face is grimaced while I try to wrap my head around some of these comparisons.

"Well, I tow 18,000 lbs 3 times a week, so I'm looking at a Ford F-550 Powerjoke bro-dozer edition, a R1S, or a Tesla Model 3 Performance."

WAT?
I think the people making these comparisons are those that are committed to electric vehicles, but don’t necessarily need a large truck or heavy duty vehicle. They see Rivian cars as being multi-purpose rather than a one trick pony. I fall into that category.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think the people making these comparisons are those that are committed to electric vehicles, but don’t necessarily need a large truck or heavy duty vehicle. They see Rivian cars as being multi-purpose rather than a one trick pony. I fall into that category.
Haven't there been several non-pickup EVs that met your needs?

The Rivian is unique, to me, because I want/need a bed and Rivian is the first to provide that.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Haven't there been several non-pickup EVs that met your needs?

The Rivian is unique, to me, because I want/need a bed and Rivian is the first to provide that.
The mach e is the closest for most people who don't want a model Y for various reasons. The Ioniq 5 has some nice features, but primarily a hell of a lot better DC charging curve if you're worried about road trips. Really, I think the Ioniq 5 interest really speaks to how much people value fast charging.

For me it's truck first (Rivian). I don't really want a full size truck so the f150 is a hard mayyybe is the Rivian has some unknown issue. Not getting a cybertruck. Who knows when another "affordable" BEV truck will actually be released.

If that's the list, then you end up dropping back down to cars, right? Assuming you're limiting yourself to BEV (I am).

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The thread is titled "What else are you considering?" and posted in the "R1S SUV Specific Topics" section of these forums. The R1S is an electric full size three row SUV and that is what my wife and I are after at the moment. With the arguable exception of the model X, I can't come up with another vehicle which is currently or soon to be available that fits the bill. Are there any others in the pipeline which may actually become available in a similar timeframe as the R1S? If so, we are all ears.
Besides some plug ins? I don’t really see anything on the horizon. Maybe the BMW iX or the Hummer EVs (which don’t have a 3rd row but are big enough for one)

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The thread is titled "What else are you considering?" and posted in the "R1S SUV Specific Topics" section of these forums. The R1S is an electric full size three row SUV and that is what my wife and I are after at the moment. With the arguable exception of the model X, I can't come up with another vehicle which is currently or soon to be available that fits the bill. Are there any others in the pipeline which may actually become available in a similar timeframe as the R1S? If so, we are all ears.
The eqb?

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ha, didn’t think of that. Man that 3rd will be tight though, definitely for kids 10 and under
Totally agree. Someone is going to try to fit a 3rd row seat into a subcompact one day here. Lol

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Totally agree. Someone is going to try to fit a 3rd row seat into a subcompact one day here. Lol
That's what we call the trunk where I grew up ?

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Besides some plug ins? I don’t really see anything on the horizon. Maybe the BMW iX or the Hummer EVs (which don’t have a 3rd row but are big enough for one)
Aside from Model X, the only vehicle in the pipeline I know of with 3 usable rows is the VW ID Buzz. But won't be available until mid 2023ish.
Sponsored