Sponsored

What Else Are You Considering?

What Else Are You Considering (Among Electric Vehicles)?

• Total voters

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Other: Theoretical other EV SUVs that may exist between now and actual ordering. I’ve long said if Ford made an EV Expedition I’d buy it yesterday, R1S is as close as I can get at the moment. I‘m sick of engines and gas and the cam phasers rattling on my Triton V8 and the weird sound the alternator makes. Oil changes and $150 fill-ups and choosing between a cold truck or spending $3 letting it warm up in the mornings.

SICK OF IT.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

F150 EV or Rav4 Prime PHEV.

My wife loves F150 so could split that payment with her, but the Rav4 just makes so much sense... Price, utility, etc. I would just hate waiting years for R1T when I could've had a Rav4 Prime in late 2020. FOMO is strong...

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
F150 EV for now.

Cybertruck is fine on specs, I can deal with the ugly exterior, but the interior is comically bad. Dumpy bench seats? No decent storage? The faux marble paper dash? Wow... just feels like an experiment with getting people to pay the most for the least.

Hummer looks great, but price is too high. Maybe a second gen model once the battery prices get lower. They've already had interviews talking about the second gen battery and getting 450+ out of the Hummer, so we'll see.

Silverado EV I'm sure will be fine, no real details on it yet.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
One thing worth noting that was a very happy surprise is the RAN. This adds huge value to a Rivian and, at least for me, is a very big deal.

We are looking for a vehicle that can take us on "Adventures" around the US. EA is getting there but there will still be huge gaps that the RAN fills nicely (not perfect, but pretty darn good).

I've been tracking vehicles that can support a hard shell 2 person RTT and also have enough range and a charging infrastructure to be feasible. Charge speed is also a factor here. <100 kW is not going to cut it.

The list of vehicles that would fit the bill:
Model Y
Rivian R1T
Rivian R1S

Ioniq 5 holds a lot of potential, but range and reliance on EA are drawbacks, and much is unknown.

Polestar 2, e tron, id.4, etc fall short in one or more categories, and those that hit the $60K+ mark are too close in price to accept the compromises they bring. Could I live with 250 miles of EPA? If the charging network was robust, yes. I don't see it in the near future. Would I pay $60K for a <250 mile EV without the Supercharger or RAN? Unlikely at this point.

The RAN boosts Rivian into a different class than the other CCS vehicles out there. I will be able to travel to more places with a 300+ mile Rivian than I could with a 450+ mile EV that relied solely on EA and the other CCS networks.

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
If the F-150 EV has 400+ miles of range I might consider it. Too many unknowns at this point to hold out. I really need a new vehicle in the next year. I suspect the F-150 will come with range around 250-300 miles and then have some kind of gas engine booster that you can buy or rent for trips.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I choose other because none was not an option.

Happy with current vehicles so unless someone can provide a vehicle like the R1S I’ll stick with what I have.

Nothing out there currently or that I see in the near future with similar specs and pricing, so the R1S is the baseline for me.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The only way I can answer the question of this thread is to test drive everything I can. I had occasion to test drive the new Volvo XC40 Recharge AWD this week, and it was a fun time. Great acceleration and nice handling. Didn't get to try out one-pedal mode, but was told it is similar to that of other EVs. It was nicely appointed, trying to get the feel of the XC60 R-Design, but not quite there. It feels cramped and a little too upright for the backseat passengers in this two-row only model. Thought I took a pic of the sticker to check out later, but nothing on the phone. I heard $57k-ish after "Loyalty" discount and before tax incentives.

Handling was taut and would likely improve with something other than the Continental Contacts it was shod with. The man said the real-world range is about 210 miles, making it a city runabout in my eyes. 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and of course it has that EV jump out of the chute. The nice part from my standpoint is that it felt very Volvo-like in most every respect. Decent storage in back for a smallish SUV, although the frunk is small in size. 60/40 split rear seat with a small pass-through port in the center armrest. It's nice that the frunk has a low liftover for easy access, even if only roomy enough for small items. Sadly, I didn't get to try the 360⁰ bird's eye camera view, but did listen to the Harman Kardon stereo and it sounded great. And here's something that will sound familiar: No Apple or Android systems as of yet. Should be available by free OTA update later.

While I am as solid as ever for my R1T, I'd bet the XC40 Recharge will compete with a smaller future generation of Rivian. I just happened to be in my local dealership for service and thought "why not". Because of COVID, they sent me out on my own. The Salesman said "Please have it back by 4:30!" and I said "End of April?! All right!" as I pulled out of the lot. ?
I was so excited for the xc40 recharge (love out xc60 to) and I still want to emotionally, but the battery specs and it's cost are just a tough pill to swallow for me with used etron prestige sitting at the base price of the 40.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
F150 EV for now.

Cybertruck is fine on specs, I can deal with the ugly exterior, but the interior is comically bad. Dumpy bench seats? No decent storage? The faux marble paper dash? Wow... just feels like an experiment with getting people to pay the most for the least.

Hummer looks great, but price is too high. Maybe a second gen model once the battery prices get lower. They've already had interviews talking about the second gen battery and getting 450+ out of the Hummer, so we'll see.

Silverado EV I'm sure will be fine, no real details on it yet.
So glad someone else thinks the marble dash is bizarre. Somehow I haven't seen anyone else have the same sentiment, and yet every time I see it I have the same thought.

Last edited:

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Had a reservation on the Lordstown Endurance - canceled it.
Had a reservation on the Nikola Badger - canceled it.
Had a reservation on the new Ford Bronco - canceled it
Have a reservation on the Cybertruck - still have it just in case things with Rivian go south, which I don’t expect to happen but one never knows.

My main concern with the R1T at this time is should I punt my current LE reservation and get back in line for the max pack as I’ll be driving it to Wyoming a couple of times a year and the extra range would be nice. Then I realize I’ll probably just need to stop and charge a very few times more with the LE, and the cool factor of owning a LE is hard to ignore.

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Other: If the R1S interior ends up being impractical, it will be a Navigator for me. Hopefully the 2022 will be available as a PHEV…If not, it will mean 4 more years of ICE for me.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

As much as I love all of my gas-guzzlers, with all of the developments in electrification, I doubt I'll ever purchase another ICE-mobile. If I do, it will certainly be an old used one in search of a good home.

Is any manufacturer spending serious R&D money on Dino-Burners anymore?

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
R1T answers everything but battery to home and removable roof are strong reasons for me to wait

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
As much as I love all of my gas-guzzlers, with all of the developments in electrification, I doubt I'll ever purchase another ICE-mobile. If I do, it will certainly be an old used one in search of a good home.

Is any manufacturer spending serious R&D money on Dino-Burners anymore?
I saw Elon Musk speak at a Governors conference several years ago. He did some Q&A and one Governor asked him if he thought we’d still have ICE vehicles in 20 years. His response was classic. He said “Well sure. People still have horses. They just aren’t used as a primary mode of transportation anymore.”