First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Real Estate
Has anyone had this issue with Enel X way wall chargers? I brought my R1s that I have had for 1 month in for service and they aren’t finding any issues. Nobody in my building has any issues charging, teslas, lucid and VW. Seems like I am the only 1 with this issue.. Rivian says it’s not them.. any suggestions?

Rivian R1T R1S Warm Plug | Slowed Charging IMG_6470
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You cut off the part of the image that shows charging power. What is the charger supposed to put out, and what do you see before your Rivian reduces the power?

This is a shared charger? I don't think that Tesla or Lucid vehicles sense the handle temp and dial back the charging if it gets too hot.

Usually, "too hot" is going to be because of higher resistance at the plug. That can be due to wear on the plug, or foreign matter in the plug, for example. I would first try to clean out the plug. Also, you can feel the handle of the plug when one of those other vehicles is charging to see if the handle gets hot for those - it's possible it's getting hot for everyone and your Rivian is the only vehicle that is dialing back the current.

OP
OP

JSimno1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Real Estate
this is right now, I felt other cars and felt the same as mine nothing crazy not? Just warm to the touch..
[
QUOTE="JSimno1, post: 532112, member: 19970"]
Has anyone had this issue with Enel X way wall chargers? I brought my R1s that I have had for 1 month in for service and they aren’t finding any issues. Nobody in my building has any issues charging, teslas, lucid and VW. Seems like I am the only 1 with this issue.. Rivian says it’s not them.. any suggestions?

IMG_6470.png

[/QUOTE]
Rivian R1T R1S Warm Plug | Slowed Charging IMG_6593

Rivian R1T R1S Warm Plug | Slowed Charging IMG_6592

f1racer328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Tube Driver
This is a shared parking lot, not a personal charger right?

Are there multiple chargers going all at once? They might have a limited amount of power to share.

Sponsored

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

I had this a few times over the winter. No idea why but it doesn’t happen anymore.

I blew some air in to dislodge any dirt that might have been in there even though I couldn’t see any.

If it doesn’t go away you might need to find another EVSE to charge at.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
There was an issue last summer where in warm climates the plug was getting too hot and faulting the charger. One of the software updates last summer limited the charging speed when the plug got too hot. Could be this, but just my best guess as you live in Miami.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Assuming these are 48A chargers (you still haven't said), they're trying to pump 11,500 watts through that plug.

Have you ever touched a 60 watt incandescent bulb when it is on? Even a small amount of power like 60W can generate a large amount of heat if there is a high resistance such as a light bulb filament.

In this case if there is one, just 1 extra ohm of resistance between the power pin on the plug and the power pin in the car, then you will be dumping 2,300 watts of power into the plug. That can heat it up pretty fast.

The plug needs to have really good metal on metal contact to prevent that. Even a thin film of oil could cause problems (say, if someone used hand lotion to lubricate the plug ...).

Just because there is no visible dirt doesn't mean there isn't a small amount of resistance.

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

The issue has worsened for me lately.

Has anyone any success stories to share on fixing this?

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

My buddy has the same issue with his Ford charger with the MACH-E. When I went to visit him I noticed the plug wire is about 25-50% thinner than my Chargepoint Flex. Both mine and his are using nema 50 amp plugs charging at 40 amps. He switched to another charger, same setup into Nema 50amp charging at 40amp and never had that issue again. Not sure which charger he bought but I think it was off amazon.

Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Suggest locating another wall connector and attempting to charge and see how that one acts. This will prove or disprove the wall connector you are attempting to use is the issue.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
I had the same issue last year around summer. Slower charging on the max 11kw charging setup, it would throttle to 6 or 7kw. The truck wouldn't have issues on any other charger and SC couldn't find anything wrong with the truck. So they warrantied the factory wall charger and it's been working perfectly since. Oddly enough, the newer wall charger uses a thinner jacket and overall feels lighter than the old version.
Sponsored